Jolanes Chef Johnny Shares Spring Recipes
Stan Golovchuk | March 26th, 2013
The following recipes were provided by Jolane's Restaurant, which
is owned by Abt Electronics.
As of March 20, it has been officially spring, and if you are planning
on entertaining this year for Passover or Easter, you might be in the
mood for a special dish to serve.
Chef Johnny Collante, the Executive Chef at Jolanes Restaurant
at 1100 Milwaukee Ave. in Glenview has shared some unique dishes that
anyone can enjoy.
Orange Ginger Glazed Salmon
7oz Salmon filet
salt and freshly ground pepper (to taste)
Orange Ginger Glaze
6 cup pineapple juice
1-1/2 ginger fingers, peeled and diced
1/2 cup ketchup
3 tablespoon siracha
3 tablespoon soy sauce
6 oranges, zest
1 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
Slurry with Cornstarch
1. For each cup of liquid you want to thicken, start with 1 tablespoon
of cornstarch in a small bowl. Add an equal amount of cold liquid and
stir until a smooth paste forms. This is your slurry.
2. Whisk slurry into the hot, simmering liquid that you want to thicken.
Bring to a boil and simmer until any starchy taste has been cooked away.
Don't cook longer, though, as the starch may break down and the liquid
will thin out again.
1. In a four quart pot, bring pineapple juice and orange juice to a simmer.
2. Add ginger and cook for 30 minutes or until very tender, almost dissolving.
3. Mix ketchup, siracha and soy sauce into the mixture.
4. Cook for 3 minutes then strain.
5. Add zest. Bring to a boil and thicken with slurry.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
7. Season salmon with salt and pepper.
8. Pan sear for 3 minutes each side.
9. Remove salmon from the pan and place in sheet pan.
10. Glaze salmon and cook in oven for 7 more minutes.
11. Once fully cooked, glaze salmon again before serving.
Lamb is a great alternative to ham for Easter dinner. Heres
Chef Johnnys version:
Colorado Lamb Rack (Easter)
2 lamb racks, about 8 to 9 ribs each
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons
4 garlic cloves, unpeeled and crushed
2 4-inch rosemary sprigs, crushed
6 thyme sprigs, crushed
4 rosemary sprigs, for garnish
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Combine olive oil, garlic cloves, rosemary and pepper.
2. Marinade and grill to your desire temperature.
Copyright © 2013 Patch. All Rights Reserved.