Small appliances can perform large tasks. Take the tears out of chopping onions with a food processor or mini-chopper, mix dough with your food processor, make fresh smoothies in the blender, deep fry your favorite fish - the list is endless. For advice on selecting the perfect small appliance check out our quick reference guide to small appliances. If you need further assistance contact our Gourmet Shop Sales Associates at 888-228-5800.
A rice cooker can be a very useful and versatile kitchen appliance. If you are a rice lover and like to make it a lot this is one of the must have appliances to be in your kitchen.
A rice cooker can be used to cook rice, hot cereal, desserts and even steam vegetables and cooking soups and stews. Not all rice cookers have the same features so make sure that you find the one that will satisfy your needs.
The cup measures the size of the rice cooker and they range from 4 and all the way to 18 cups. Don't buy a larger unit than you need because the rice cooker is designed to operate properly with a specific amount of rice and water.
All rice cookers have an automatic shut off. When rice is done the unit automatically changes to the "warm" temperature. There is no light that indicates that the rice is done. If you want to turn off the "warm" feature you have to unplug the unit. There are some rice cookers that have "electronic cook" and "keep warm" feature. In this case the unit keeps rice warm for up to 12 hours. If you are family that eats rice during the long period of time these rice cookers might be the ones for you.
There are more sophisticated machines on the market that offer great features like settings for soup or porridge, brown rice, rice texture and even a sushi rice setting and they also offer moisture control. These machines are great, but more expensive.
Some rice cookers offer steaming trays. You are able to steam your vegetables while you are cooking rice. You can also steam your vegetables before or after the rice is done. Even though they cost more than a basic model these are a good machines to choose if you are looking for something more flexible and safe.
When it comes to cleaning you should choose a model with a non-stick pan.
There are lots of options to choose from, but you won't make a mistake in whichever one you pick. With a little butter and soy sauce any rice cooker can become your most used appliance in the kitchen.
Considerations for all small appliances:
- Determine your cooking needs and wants - both current and future. Is your family growing or growing up and moving out? Are you interested in increasing your culinary endeavors? Are you wishing to simplify and reduce time in the kitchen?
- Evaluate your kitchen counter space. Where are you going to put all those new small appliances?
- Check the height of the appliance compared to the height of your cabinets.
Appliances that mount under the cabinet are available.
- Decide on the color of your new small appliance.
- Determine the appliance capacity. The number of speeds and settings on an appliance usually increases with the size of the machine. Those who have large families or like to entertain may choose to buy larger appliances.
- Decide whether you want corded or cordless appliances.