Canon Black 8.0 Megapixel PowerShot Digital Camera - A590IS
More Performance, More Value, More Fun.
The PowerShot A590 IS will astound you with its power-packed performance and impressive value. It's got 8.0-megapixels, a 4x optical zoom, an Optical Image Stabilizer and a large 2.5-inch LCD. A range of shooting modes - from manual to automatic including Canon's new Easy Mode - make picture-taking carefree. A DIGIC III Image Processor with Enhanced Canon Face Detection assures natural-looking results, while Motion Detection Technology reduces blur. For added creativity, attach wide or telephoto converter lenses.
Loaded with Features, Packed with Value.
8.0 Megapixels with 4x Optical Zoom, Optical Image Stabilizer, large bright 2.5-inch LCD for superb performance.
With the PowerShot A590 IS, dramatic, personal pictures have never been easier to shoot and share. The 8.0-megapixel design lets you create impressive high resolution images of family and friends you'll be proud display. The genuine Canon 4x zoom lens moves you in for powerful close-ups-like a bird in flight or a child's winning goal-at the touch of a button. Plus, Canon's highly sophisticated Optical Image Stabilizer keeps every shot absolutely steady even when you're not.
The camera's 2.5-inch LCD screen gives you the big picture, whether you're shooting, reviewing or showing off your images. This high-resolution screen offers a crisp, clear and bright picture. It also features Night Display for easy viewing in low light.
No Worries, Just Great Pictures.
New Easy Mode simplifies operation, and shooting modes from Manual to Automatic make picture-taking care-free.
Even if you've never picked up a camera before, with Canon's new Easy Mode you can take inspiring, dramatic pictures that will impress everyone. Once you choose Easy Mode, the PowerShot A590 IS handles all the details automatically. It automatically sets every camera control including the flash to reduce blur and improve image quality. So you get pictures that are bright, clear and natural just by pushing a button. Best of all, you can relax and concentrate on what really counts-your subject.
With 19 Shooting Modes including 7 Special Scene Modes, you're ready for whatever shot comes your way.
Shooting Modes: Advanced presets for the best possible photos under certain conditions
- Auto: The camera chooses all the settings so you can concentrate on your subject.
- Easy: Keep the image quality as high as possible for fail-proof images.
- P Program: Access advanced exposure compensation features while shooting mostly automatically.
- Av Aperture-priority: You define the aperture to either isolate your subject or have clarity throughout the entire picture, and the camera will choose the corresponding shutter speed.
- Tv Shutter-priority: You select the shutter speed to stop or blur action, and the camera finds the appropriate aperture. With slow exposure times, Canon's noise reduction system activates to ensure low image noise.
- Manual: The ultimate in creative control, you set both aperture and shutter speed manually.
- Portrait: The camera sets a large aperture, focusing the subject and artistically blurring the background to make your subject "pop."
- Landscape: For front to back sharpness, the camera sets a small aperture.
- Indoor: Reduce blur and improve color accuracy when shooting handheld indoors.
- Kids & Pets: Reduced focusing time for even faster shutter response, so you won't miss those special shots.
- Night Snapshot: Get natural-looking pictures with brighter backgrounds and subjects lit by flash.
- Movie: Shoot in VGA (640 x 480 at 20 fps/20 fps LP), QVGA (320 x 240 at 30 fps) for up to 1 hour or 4GB), or QQVGA (160 x 120 at 15 fps) for up to 3 minutes.
Special Scene Mode:
- Foliage: Capture brilliant shots of autumn foliage, greenery and blossoms.
- Snow: Shoot clear snow scenes without darkened subjects or an unnatural bluish tint.
- Beach: Get clear shots of people at a sunny beach without darkened faces.
- Sunset: Capture stunning sunsets with all the dazzle and impact.
- Fireworks: Grab brilliant images of skyrocketing fireworks.
- Night Scene: For impressive nightlife shots, the camera properly exposes the background and uses slow-sync flash for the subject.
- Aquarium: Achieve proper flash-free exposure and natural hues at indoor aquariums.
Top Level Core Specifications.
DIGIC III Image Processor assures sharper images and better functionality; enhanced Canon Face Detection Technology sets focus, exposure, flash and white balance automatically for greater freedom.
DIGIC III Image Processor
With DIGIC III, your images boast superior quality, the camera operates at top efficiency and battery life is enhanced. What's more, DIGIC III enables Canon's Face Detection Technology and Red-eye Correction to give you better, more true-to-life people shots. Simply press the Shutter Button halfway down, and the camera automatically pinpoints the faces in the scene and chooses the ideal focus point. The camera controls exposure settings and flash to keep every face looking bright and natural. Red-eye Correction can be handled in-camera, in two ways. The entirely new Red-eye Correction during shooting uses the Face Detection Technology to recognize and remove red-eye from flash images as they're taken, before the file is written to the memory card. It's also possible to correct red-eye during image playback, using simple settings in the A590 IS's menu.
iSAPS Technology is an entirely original scene-recognition technology developed for digital cameras by Canon. Using an internal database of thousands of different photos, iSAPS works with the fast DIGIC III Image Processor to improve focus speed and accuracy, as well as exposure and white balance.
Canon's powerful Face Detection Technology delivers even better results with the new A590 IS. The Face Detection Technology continues to recognize faces in a scene, and concentrate exposure (daylight or flash) and focus upon them. But the A590 IS adds more: Face Detection WB means the camera concentrates upon faces when calculating white balance for the best possible skin tones. Face Select and Track lets the A590 IS user highlight one face among several in a scene, and the camera concentrates on that person, even as they move around the scene. Face Detection Technology is a powerful contributing factor in Canon's new Motion Detection Technology.
Red-eye Correction provides three options for removing red-eye from subjects in flash pictures.
1) The new Red-eye Correction during shooting actually identifies and corrects red-eye in human subjects as pictures are taken.
2) The A590 IS can be set to automatically detect and correct red-eye during image playback.
3) The user can manually locate any red eyes in a scene during image playback on the LCD screen, and command the camera to remove them.
The PowerShot A590 IS features ISO 1600 and High ISO Auto settings that reduce the effects of camera shake and sharpen subjects in low-light situations, giving you greater shooting flexibility.
Blur is Dramatically Reduced.
Motion Detection Technology automatically reduces blur by calculating subject movement and selecting ideal exposure and ISO settings.
Life doesn't stand still for picture-taking. That's why Canon included its advanced Motion Detection Technology in the PowerShot A590 IS. This sophisticated feature works in the background to instantly evaluate how fast your subject is moving. Then it automatically selects and sets the optimal exposure and ISO settings to keep everything looking sharp and clear. So whether you're shooting a bride walking down the aisle, a ballet recital or even a child's soccer game, you can relax and shoot with confidence knowing you've got the picture you intended.
The Creative Freedom You've Wanted.
Accepts Wide-Angle and Telephoto Converter Lenses for greater creativity; uses convenient AA batteries.
To expand your creativity, the PowerShot A590 IS is compatible with shooting accessories such as wide and tele converter lenses, High-Power Flash designed for all of the PowerShot models.
The Complete Print Solution.
Print/Share Button for easy direct printing and downloading, plus ID Photo Print and Movie Print with select PIXMA Photo Printers and SELPHY Compact Photo Printers.
The PowerShot A590 IS's Print/Share button makes direct printing easier than ever. Simply connect the A590 IS to a Canon PIXMA Photo Printer or SELPHY Compact Photo Printer or any PictBridge compatible photo printer, press the lighted Print/Share button and print! Also use the Print/Share button to transfer images to a computer (Windows® and Macintosh®).
Print your own ID photos in 28 different sizes* or use the Movie Print function to output multiple stills from a recorded movie on a single sheet with a Canon SELPHY Compact Photo Printer.
Direct Photo Printers
For desktop large-format printing, try one of the Direct Photo Printers that allow you to print without a computer in one of two ways: plug your compatible PowerShot camera into the Direct Photo Printer using the supplied USB interface cable, or simply insert a memory card into the supplied adapter. You can also connect the printer to your computer for more options. Print high-resolution, borderless images as postcards or 8.5" x 11" sheets within minutes.
Compact Photo Printers
Compact Photo Printers let you produce versatile, fun 4" x 6" postcards, 4" x 8" wide greeting cards* or credit card* size prints in just two easy steps: connect and press/print. Control the printer right from your camera's LCD screen. You get durable, dye-sublimated prints quickly with or without borders. Assorted paper types let you create mini or credit card size labels.* You can even take select Compact Photo Printers to a party or an outdoor picnic using an optional rechargeable battery.
The PictBridge standard enables any digital camera that supports PictBridge to connect and print to any PictBridge-compatible printer.
- PowerShot A590 IS Body
- AA-size Alkaline Battery (x2)
- MMC Plus Card MMC-32MH
- Wrist Strap WS-800
- Digital Camera Solution CD-ROM
- USB Interface Cable IFC-400PCU
- AV Cable AVC-DC300
- Type of Camera
- Type of Camera: Compact digital still camera with built-in flash, 4x Optical/4x Digital/16x Combined Zoom with Optical Image Stabilizer System
- Image Capture Device
- Type: 8.0 Megapixel, 1/2.5 inch type Charge Coupled Device (CCD)
- Total Pixels: Approx. 8.3 Megapixels
- Effective Pixels: Approx. 8.0 Megapixels
- Focal Length: 5.8-23.2mm f/2.6-5.5 (35mm film equivalent: 35-140mm)
- Digital Zoom: 4x
- Focusing Range:
- Normal: 1.5 ft./45cm-infinity
- Macro: 2.0 in.-1.5 ft./5-45cm (W), 12 in.-1.5 ft./30-45cm (T)
- Autofocus System: TTL Autofocus, Manual focus (shooting standby only in movie mode)
- Viewfinder & Monitor
- Viewfinder: Real image optical zoom viewfinder
- LCD Monitor: 2.5-inch amorphous silicon TFT color LCD
- LCD Pixels: Approx. 115,000 pixels
- LCD Coverage: 100%
- Aperture and Shutter
- Maximum Aperture: f/2.6 (W) - f/5.5 (T)
- Shutter Speed: 15-1/1200 sec.(settable in Tv and M)
- Exposure Control
- ISO Sensitivity: Auto, High ISO Auto, ISO 80/100/200/400/800/1600 equivalent (Standard output sensitivity. Recommended exposure index)
- Light Metering Method: Evaluative*, Center-weighted average, Spot**
- * Control to incorporate facial brightness in Face Detection AF
- ** Metering frame is fixed to the center
- Exposure Control Method: Program AE, Shutter Speed-Priority AE, Aperture-Priority AE; AE Lock
- Exposure Compensation: +/-2 stops in 1/3-stop increments
- White Balance
- White Balance Control: Auto, Preset (Daylight, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H), Custom
- Built-in Flash: Auto, Red-eye Reduction, Auto Red-eye Correction, Flash On, Flash Off; FE lock, Slow Synchro
- Flash Range: 12 in.-11 ft./30cm-3.5m (W), 12 in.-7.2 ft./30cm-2.2m (T) (when sensitivity is set to ISO Auto)
- Recycling Time: 10 sec. or less (battery voltage=3.0V)
- Flash Exposure Compensation: +/-2 stops in 1/3-stop increments
- Shooting Specifications
- Shooting Modes: Auto, Easy, P, Av, Tv, M, Portrait, Landscape, Special Scene (Foliage, Snow, Beach, Sunset, Fireworks, Night Scene, Aquarium), Indoor, Kids & Pets, Night Snapshot, Movie
- Photo Effects: My Colors: Vivid, Neutral, Sepia, Black & White, Custom
- Self-Timer: Activates shutter after an approx. 2-sec./10-sec. delay, Custom
- Continuous Shooting: Approx. 1.4 fps (Large/Fine)
- Image Storage
- Storage Media: SD/SDHC Memory Card, MultiMediaCard, MMC Plus Card, HC MMC Plus Card
- File Format: Design rule for camera file system, DPOF Version 1.1
- Image Compression: Normal, Fine, SuperFine
- JPEG Compression Mode:
- Still Image: Exif 2.2 (JPEG)
- Movie: AVI (Image: Motion JPEG; Audio: WAVE (Monaural))
- Number of Recording Pixels:
- Still Image: 3,264 x 2,448 (Large), 2,592 x 1,944 (Medium 1), 2,048 x 1,536 (Medium 2), 1,600 x 1,200 (Medium 3/Date Stamp), 640 x 480 (Small), 3,264 x 1,832 (Widescreen)
- Movie: 640 x 480 (20 fps/20 fps LP), 320 x 240 (30 fps) available up to 4GB or 60 minutes, 160 x 120 (3 minutes at 15 fps)
- Playback Specifications
- Playback Modes File:
- Still Image: Single, Magnification (approx. 2x-10x), Jump, Auto Rotate, Rotate, Resume, My Category, Transition Effects, Histogram, Overexposure Warning, Index (9 thumbnails), Sound Memos, Slide Show, Red-eye Correction, RAW, Resize, Image Inspection Tool
- Movie: Normal Playback, Special Playback, Editing, Auto Rotate, Resume
- Erasing Specifications
- Erase Modes:
- Still Image: single image, all images
- Movie: part of movie, all of movie
- Computer Interface: USB 2.0 Hi-Speed (mini-B jack)
- Video Out: NTSC/PAL
- Audio Out: Monaural
- Other: Memory card slot; direct connection to Canon SELPHY Compact Photo Printers, PIXMA Photo Printers and PictBridge-compatible printers via camera's USB 2.0 Hi-Speed cable
- Power Supply
- Power Source
- 1. AA-size Alkaline Battery (x2)
- 2. Rechargeable AA-size Ni-MH Battery (x2)
- 3. AC Adapter Kit ACK800 (optional)
- Shooting Capacity: Still Image: approx. 220 shots (AA-size Alkaline Battery), approx. 500 shots (AA-size Ni-MH Battery) *
- Playback Time: Approx. 540 min. (AA-size Alkaline Battery), approx. 660 min. (AA-size Ni-MH Battery)
- * LCD screen on. The above figures comply with CIPA testing standards and apply when fully-charged batteries are used.
- Physical Specifications
- Operating Temperature: 32-104°F/0-40°C
- Operating Humidity: 10-90%
- Width: 3.71"
- Height: 2.55"
- Depth: 1.61"
- Unit(camera body only): 6.17 oz.
- Shipping: 1 lb
- Manufacturer Warranty (authorized online retailer): 1 Year Parts and Labor