Canon Silver 8.0 Megapixel PowerShot Digital Camera - A580
Fabulous, Foolproof Pictures.
Even beginners can create phenomenal images with the amazing PowerShot A580. This impressive 8.0-megapixel digital camera has a 4x optical zoom and bright 2.5-inch LCD that make shooting simple and convenient. To give you superior quality images without having to worry about the details, there's a full range of Canon's highly-advanced features at your service - including a powerful DIGIC III Image Processor, enhanced Face Detection technology, a host of shooting modes including a new Easy Mode and more.
More Features for Less.
Feature-packed 8.0 Megapixel digital camera with 4x Optical Zoom and large bright 2.5-inch LCD offers exceptional value.
Picture the possibilities of this impressive digital camera. The 8.0-megapixel design lets you create images of breath-taking detail and radiant color that you can print, enlarge, crop or email to friends and family. The Canon 4x optical zoom gives you the power you need to get in close and capture special moments—whether they’re happening across the room or across the schoolyard.
The camera’s 2.5-inch LCD screen gives you the big picture, whether you’re shooting, reviewing or showing off your images. This high-resolution screen offers a crisp, clear and bright picture. It also features Night Display for easy viewing in low light.
No Worries, Just Great Pictures.
New Easy Mode simplifies operation; shooting modes from Manual to Automatic make picture-taking care-free.
Even if you've never picked up a camera before, with Canon's new Easy Mode you can take inspiring, dramatic pictures that will impress everyone. Once you choose Easy Mode, the PowerShot A580 handles all the details automatically. It automatically sets every camera control including the flash to reduce blur and improve image quality. So you get pictures that are bright, clear and natural just by pushing a button. Best of all, you can relax and concentrate on what really counts-your subject.
With 16 Shooting Modes including 7 Special Scene Modes, you're ready for whatever shot comes your way.
Shooting Modes: Advanced presets for the best possible photos under certain conditions
- Auto: The camera chooses all the settings so you can concentrate on your subject.
- Easy: Keep the image quality as high as possible for fail-proof images.
- Camera M: The same ease of full automatic exposure control, but with full access to all menu settings, exposure compensation, and white balance.
- Portrait: The camera sets a large aperture, focusing the subject and artistically blurring the background to make your subject "pop."
- Landscape: For front to back sharpness, the camera sets a small aperture.
- Indoor: Reduce blur and improve color accuracy when shooting handheld indoors.
- Kids & Pets: Reduced focusing time freezes fast-moving subjects, so you won't miss those special shots.
- Night Snapshot: Get natural-looking pictures with brighter backgrounds and subjects lit by flash.
- Movie: Shoot in VGA (640 x 480 at 20 fps/20 fps LP), QVGA (320 x 240 at 30 fps) for up to 1 hour or 4GB), or QQVGA (160 x 120 at 15 fps) for up to 3 minutes.
Special Scene Mode:
- Foliage: Capture brilliant shots of autumn foliage, greenery and blossoms.
- Snow: Shoot clear snow scenes without darkened subjects or an unnatural bluish tint.
- Beach: Get clear shots of people at a sunny beach without darkened faces.
- Sunset: Capture stunning sunsets with all the dazzle and impact.
- Fireworks: Grab brilliant images of skyrocketing fireworks.
- Night Scene: For impressive sunset or nightlife shots, the camera properly exposes the background and uses slow-sync flash for the subject.
- Aquarium: Achieve proper flash-free exposure and natural hues at indoor aquariums.
It's All About Capturing the Smiles.
Enhanced Canon Face Detection Technology automatically sets focus, exposure, flash and white balance for greater shooting freedom.
Canon's powerful Face Detection Technology delivers even better results with the new A580. The Face Detection Technology continues to recognize faces in a scene, and concentrate exposure (daylight or flash) and focus upon them. But the A580 adds more: Face Detection WB means the camera concentrates upon faces when calculating white balance for the best possible skin tones. Face Select and Track lets the A580 user highlight one face among several in a scene, and the camera concentrates on that person, even as they move around the scene. Face Detection Technology is a powerful contributing factor in Canon's new Motion Detection Technology.
Red-eye Correction provides three options for removing red-eye from subjects in flash pictures.
1) The new Red-eye Correction during shooting actually identifies and corrects red-eye in human subjects as pictures are taken.
2) The A580 can be set to automatically detect and correct red-eye during image playback.
3) The user can manually locate any red eyes in a scene during image playback on the LCD screen, and command the camera to remove them.
The PowerShot A580 features ISO 1600 and High ISO Auto settings that reduce the effects of camera shake and sharpen subjects in low-light situations, giving you greater shooting flexibility.
Top Level Core Specifications
DIGIC III Image Processor for sharper images and improved functionality.
DIGIC III Image Processor
With DIGIC III, your images boast superior quality, the camera operates at top efficiency and battery life is enhanced. What's more, DIGIC III enables Canon's Face Detection Technology and Red-eye Correction to give you better, more true-to-life people shots. Simply press the Shutter Button halfway down, and the camera automatically pinpoints the faces in the scene and chooses the ideal focus point. The camera controls exposure settings and flash to keep every face looking bright and natural. Red-eye Correction can be handled in-camera, in two ways. The entirely new Red-eye Correction during shooting uses the Face Detection Technology to recognize and remove red-eye from flash images as they're taken, before the file is written to the memory card. It's also possible to correct red-eye during image playback, using simple settings in the A580's menu.
iSAPS Technology is an entirely original scene-recognition technology developed for digital cameras by Canon. Using an internal database of thousands of different photos, iSAPS works with the fast DIGIC III Image Processor to improve focus speed and accuracy, as well as exposure and white balance.
Blur is Dramatically Reduced.
Motion Detection Technology automatically reduces blur by calculating subject movement and selecting ideal exposure and ISO settings.
Life doesn't stand still for picture-taking. That's why Canon included its advanced Motion Detection Technology in the PowerShot A580. This sophisticated feature works in the background to instantly evaluate how fast your subject is moving. Then it automatically selects and sets the optimal exposure and ISO settings to keep everything looking sharp and clear. So whether you're shooting a bride walking down the aisle, a ballet recital or even a child's soccer game, you can relax and shoot with confidence knowing you've got the picture you intended.
Get New Batteries Anywhere.
Uses AA batteries for convenience anywhere you go.
You don't need to worry about running out or recharging of batteries. Since AA-size batteries can be purchased at any store, simply get new ones locally.
The Complete Print Solution.
Print/Share Button for easy direct printing and downloading, plus ID Photo Print and Movie Print with select PIXMA Photo Printers and SELPHY Compact Photo Printers.
The PowerShot A580's Print/Share button makes direct printing easier than ever. Simply connect the A580 to a Canon PIXMA Photo Printer or SELPHY Compact Photo Printer or any PictBridge compatible photo printer, press the lighted Print/Share button and print! Also use the Print/Share button to transfer images to a computer (Windows® and Macintosh®).
Print your own ID photos in 28 different sizes* or use the Movie Print function to output multiple stills from a recorded movie on a single sheet with a Canon SELPHY Compact Photo Printer.
PIXMA Photo All-In-One Printers
For desktop photo printing, try one of the well rounded Photo All-In-One printers that allow you to print without a computer in one of two ways: plug your compatible PowerShot camera into the printer using the supplied USB interface cable, or simply insert a memory card into the card slots. You can also connect the printer to your computer for more options, and even print via Bluetooth with an optional adapter. Print high-resolution, borderless images such as postcards or 8.5" x 11" sheets within minutes.
SELPHY Compact Photo Printers
SELPHY Compact Photo Printers let you produce versatile, fun 4" x 6" postcards, 4" x 8" wide greeting cards* or credit card* size prints in just two easy steps: connect and press/print. Control the printer right from your camera's LCD screen. You get durable, dye-sublimated prints quickly with or without borders. Assorted paper types let you create mini or credit card size labels.* You can even take select SELPHY Compact Photo Printers to a party or an outdoor picnic using an optional rechargeable battery.
The PictBridge standard enables any digital camera that supports PictBridge to connect and print to any PictBridge compatible printer.
- PowerShot A580 Body
- AA-size Alkaline Battery (x2)
- MMC Plus Card MMC-32MH
- Wrist Strap WS-800
- Digital Camera Solution CD-ROM
- USB Interface Cable IFC-400PCU
- AV Cable AVC-DC300
- Type of Camera
- Type of Camera: Compact digital still camera with built-in flash, 4x Optical/4x Digital/16x Combined Zoom
- Image Capture Device
- Type: 8.0 Megapixel, 1/2.5-inch type Charge Coupled Device (CCD)
- Total Pixels: Approx. 8.3 Megapixels
- Effective Pixels: Approx. 8.0 Megapixels
- Focal Length: 5.8-23.2mm f/2.6-5.5 (35mm film equivalent: 35-140mm)
- Digital Zoom: 4x
- Focusing Range
- Normal: 1.5 ft./45cm-infinity
- Macro: 2.0 in.-1.5 ft./5-45cm (W), 12 in.-1.5 ft./30-45cm (T)
- Autofocus System: TTL Autofocus
- Viewfinder & Monitor
- Viewfinder: Real image optical zoom viewfinder
- LCD Monitor: 2.5-inch amorphous silicon TFT color LCD
- LCD Pixels: Approx. 115,000 pixels
- LCD Coverage: 100%
- Aperture and Shutter
- Maximum Aperture: f/2.6 (W) - f/5.5 (T)
- Shutter Speed: 1/60-1/2000 sec., 15-1/2000 sec.
- Exposure Control
- ISO Sensitivity: Auto, High ISO Auto, ISO 80/100/200/400/800/1600 equivalent (Standard output sensitivity. Recommended exposure index) (Standard output sensitivity. Recommended exposure index)
- Light Metering Method: Evaluative*, Center-weighted average, Spot**
- * Control to incorporate facial brightness in Face Detection AF
- ** Metering frame is fixed to the center
- Exposure Control Method: Program AE; AE Lock
- Exposure Compensation: +/-2 stops in 1/3-stop increments
- White Balance
- White Balance Control: Auto, Preset (Daylight, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H), Custom
- Built-in Flash: Auto, Red-eye Reduction, Auto Red-eye Correction, Flash On, Flash Off; FE lock, Slow Synchro
- Flash Range: 12 in.-11 ft./30cm-3.5m (W), 12 in.-7.2 ft./30cm-2.2m (T) (when sensitivity is set to ISO Auto)
- Recycling Time: 10 sec. or less (battery voltage=3.0V)
- Shooting Specifications
- Shooting Modes: Auto, Easy, Camera M, Portrait, Landscape, Special Scene (Foliage, Snow, Beach, Sunset, Fireworks, Night Scene, Aquarium), Indoor, Kids & Pets, Night Snapshot, Movie
- Photo Effects: My Colors - Vivid, Neutral, Sepia, Black & White, Custom
- Self-Timer: Activates shutter after an approx. 2-sec./10-sec. delay, Custom
- Continuous Shooting: Approx. 1.4 fps (Large/Fine)
- Image Storage
- Storage Media: SD/SDHC Memory Card, MultiMediaCard, MMC Plus Card, HC MMC Plus Card
- File Format: Design rule for camera file system, DPOF Version 1.1
- Image Compression: Normal, Fine, SuperFine
- JPEG Compression Mode
- Still Image: Exif 2.2 (JPEG)
- Movie: AVI (Image: Motion JPEG; Audio: WAVE (Monaural))
- Number of Recording Pixels
- Still Image: 3,264 x 2,448 (Large), 2,592 x 1,944 (Medium 1), 2,048 x 1,536 (Medium 2), 1,600 x 1,200 (Medium 3/Date Stamp), 640 x 480 (Small), 3,264 x 1,832 (Widescreen)
- Movie: 640 x 480 (20 fps/20 fps LP), 320 x 240 (30 fps) available up to 4GB or 60 minutes, 160 x 120 (up to 3 minutes at 15 fps)
- Playback Specifications
- Playback Modes File
- Still Image: Single, Magnification (approx. 2x-10x), Jump, Auto Rotate, Rotate, Resume, My Category, Transition Effects, Histogram, Overexposure Warning, Index (9 thumbnails), Sound Memos, Slide Show, Red-eye Correction, RAW, Resize, Image Inspection Tool
- Movie: Normal Playback, Special Playback, Auto Rotate, Resume
- Erasing Specifications
- Erase Modes
- Still Image: single image, all images
- Movie: part of movie, all of movie
- Computer Interface
- USB 2.0 Hi-Speed (mini-B jack)
- Video Out: NTSC/PAL
- Audio Out: Monaural
- Other: Memory card slot; direct connection to Canon SELPHY Compact Photo Printers, PIXMA Photo Printers and PictBridge-compatible printers via camera's USB 2.0 Hi-Speed cable
- Power Supply
- Power Source
- 1. AA-size Alkaline Battery (x2)
- 2. Rechargeable AA-size Ni-MH Battery (x2)
- 3. AC Adapter Kit ACK800 (optional)
- Shooting Capacity: Still Image: approx. 220 shots (AA-size Alkaline Battery), approx. 500 shots (AA-size Ni-MH Battery) *
- Playback Time: Approx. 540 min. (AA-size Alkaline Battery), approx. 660 min. (AA-size Ni-MH Battery)
- * LCD screen on. The above figures comply with CIPA testing standards and apply when fully-charged batteries are used.
- Physical Specifications
- Operating Temperature: 32-104°F/0-40°C
- Operating Humidity: 10-90%
- Width: 3.71"
- Height: 2.55"
- Depth: 1.61"
- Unit(camera body only): 6.17 oz.
- Shipping: 1 lb
- Manufacturer Warranty (authorized online retailer): 1 Year Parts and Labor