Canon Black EOS Rebel XSi Digital SLR Camera - XSIREB1855
For stunning photography with point-and-shoot ease, look no further than Canon's EOS Rebel XSi. The EOS Rebel XSi brings staggering technological innovation to the masses. It features Canon's EOS Integrated Cleaning System, Live View Function, a powerful DIGIC III Image Processor, plus a new 12.2-megapixel CMOS Sensor and is available in a kit with the new EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens with Optical Image Stabilizer. The EOS Rebel XSi's refined, ergonomic design includes a new 3.0-inch LCD monitor, compatibility with SD and SDHC Memory cards and new accessories that enhance every aspect of the photographic experience.
New Technology for Outstanding Images.
Outstanding Image Quality: New Canon 12.2-megapixel CMOS sensor, DIGIC III Image Processor, 14-bit conversion for smooth tone, gradations, extensive noise reduction technology, and new Auto Optimization for superior highlight-shadow control.
Canons CMOS (complementary metal oxide semiconductor) sensor captures images with exceptional clarity and tonal range, and offers the most pixels in its class. It offers many of the same new technologies to maximize each pixels light gathering efficiency that were first seen with the professional EOS-1D Mark III model. Its an APS-C size sensor (22.2 x 14.8mm), and theres an effective 1.6x increase in the lenss marked focal length when attached. Canons DIGIC III Image Processor dramatically enhances image quality and speeds up all camera operations for intuitive operation. It works in concert with the EOS Rebel XSis sensor to achieve unprecedented levels of performance in all lighting situations.
14-bit A/D Converter
With the EOS Rebel XSi, analog to digital signal conversion is executed by a 14-bit processor, which generates digital data with incredibly smooth tones. Formerly a feature only present in top-of-the-line pro digital SLR cameras, the 14-bit conversion gives incredibly smooth transitions from light to dark colors, with far less risk of "banding." A sky at sunset is a perfect example. With this rich 14-bit gradation the EOS Rebel XSi offers RAW images of the highest quality that can be processed with Canons Digital Photo Professional software. Even JPEG files, which are always finished at 8-bits per channel, use the full 14-bit conversion initially to generate the best possible color and tonal detail. Another huge benefit of the 14-bit conversion is the Highlight Tone Priority option, which allows critical shooters to increase the level of detail in bright areas of a scene up to one stop, without affecting overall exposure.
The EOS Rebel XSis Auto Optimization is yet another image-quality tool that comes to the rescue in tricky lighting conditions. It can actually lighten dark areas of a scene while ensuring that bright areas maintain tonal detail. Its now available in all shooting modes, including P, Tv, Av, and Manual.
DIGIC III Image Processor
Developed to maximize performance between the capture and recording stages of digital photography, the EOS Rebel XSis latest-generation DIGIC III Image Processor works in concert with Canons CMOS sensor to achieve even higher levels of performance. The entire electronic system is totally redesigned, giving the camera its incredible combination of speed and image quality. Digital noise is significantly reduced in shadow areas, and color reproduction is superior.
Speedy, Precise Operation.
Excellent performance with 3.5 fps continuous shooting, up to 53 full-resolution JPEGs or 6 RAW images in a burst, and reduced shutter lag time.
The EOS Rebel XSi operates with such effortless speed that operation is nothing short of intuitive. With instant startup times, speedy autofocus and minimal shutter lag, the EOS Rebel XSi is one of the fastest cameras available today. It can shoot up to 3.5 frames per second, in bursts of 53 JPEGs or 6 RAW files, so youll never, ever miss a shot.
See the Image in Large LCD with Live View Function.
Large 3.0-inch LCD monitor, with 170° wide viewing angle, superior viewing in daylight, and Live View Function.
The EOS Rebel XSi has a huge, bright 3.0-inch TFT LCD monitor with 230,000 pixels and a viewing angle of 170°. Its perfect for Live View composition or viewing camera settings like AF, ISO, Metering, AF Point selection and flash options. And the maximum brightness of the EOS Rebel XSi LCD monitor is about 30% greater than its predecessor, which is a big benefit when youre using the camera in bright sunlight.
Live View Function
Live View Function enables you to view your subjects directly on the huge 3.0-inch LCD monitor. Its easy to magnify any part of the scene 5x or 10x for precise manual focus. And now, there are two ways to use Autofocus along with Live View Function in the EOS Rebel XSi. You can even choose a grid overlay, perfect for keeping straight lines in your subject straight in your pictures. In the studio, Live View Function can be used remotely via a computer through the EOS Rebel XSis USB connection.
Advanced, Adaptable AF.
Fast 9-point AF system, and two types of AF during Live View Function.
The EOS Rebel XSi has a high-precision 9-point wide area AF sensor for fast, accurate focus even in dim lighting. It has a number of focus modes, including One-Shot AF, AI Focus AF, AI Servo AF and Manual. In Live View Function, the EOS Rebel XSi has two AF modes: Quick mode, which uses the cameras standard 9-point AF system, and Live mode, which is a contrast-based AF system that reads the sharpness of subjects right from the imaging sensor, and can be overridden by pressing the AF mode selection button. A familiar feature in PowerShot cameras, Live mode AF uses similar technologies to achieve focus, while Quick mode is more appropriate for capturing action or for shooting in low light.
Flexible Storage with Memory Cards.
Compatible with compact SD and SDHC memory cards.
The EOS Rebel XSi is the first EOS Digital SLR camera to use popular SD and SDHC memory cards only. Compact, inexpensive and available in increasingly large capacities, SD and SDHC memory cards are a perfect complement to the EOS Rebel XSis compact and lightweight body design.
Advanced Features for Advanced Photography.
New advanced features include spot metering, external flash settings on the cameras menu, and a new higher-magnification viewfinder.
The EOS Rebel XSis 35-zone evaluative metering system with improved white balance analyzes light based on each zone in the viewing area, enabling the camera to choose the overall best exposure for the entire scene. It now features a spot meter, which reads a tiny area (about 4%) of the picture for extremely precise metering. It also provides Center-weighted average metering and partial metering for accurate exposure no matter the situation. The EOS Rebel XSi also has an improved, high magnification viewfinder that provides a larger overall view, and increased brightness and clarity. And the EOS Rebel XSi has a Display-Off sensor that automatically turns the LCD monitor off whenever the camera is at the photographes eye. All relevant shooting information, including ISO, is displayed right in the viewfinder so its easy to change settings without moving the camera away from the eye.
EOS Integrated Cleaning System
Photographers who must change lenses in dusty environments will find the advanced Canon EOS Integrated Cleaning System a tremendous time saver. Dust that settles on the sensor surface is removed using ultrasonic vibration. This Self Cleaning Sensor Unit routine is automatically activated whenever the camera is powered on or off. (It can also be manually activated.) A special collar positioned around the sensor collects the loosened dust. Dust particles can also be automatically removed via software. By shooting a plain white subject, the photographer can acquire dust position data that is transmitted along with the image (whether JPEG or RAW). Canon Digital Photo Professional (DPP) version 3.3 or later software can be used to manually or automatically erase the dust spots. Its not one feature, its a built-in system to minimize the effect of dust in high-resolution digital images.
Self Cleaning Sensor Unit
A key element of minimizing dust is preventing it from clinging to the front surface of the imaging sensor. To combat against this, the EOS Rebel XSi features a Canon-designed Self Cleaning Sensor Unit. The low-pass filter at the front of the sensor shakes off dust automatically with ultrasonic vibrations, removing dust from the sensor assembly. The EOS Rebel XSi has a new coating on the front surface of the low-pass filter, to increase its resistance to dust sticking to the sensor.
Dust Delete Data Detection
Dust that may still remain on the front of the sensor can also be erased with software included in Digital Photo Professional (DPP) Version 3.3 or later software. A simple test shot of a plain, white object can be taken, using a menu setting. This Dust Delete Data image is analyzed in-camera, and the location and size of any remaining dust is added to any subsequent pictures taken. This data is transmitted along with the image, whether JPEG or RAW, and can be either manually or automatically erased in Canons DPP version 3.3 and later software. This added software option ensures the cleanest possible image, perfect for printing or archiving.
Picture Style settings
With the EOS Rebel XSis Picture Style technology, photographers can change the look of their digital photographs. Color, saturation, sharpness and contrast settings create noticeable variation in the saved image. Changing a Picture Style setting is almost like a 35mm film user switching from one type of color film to another. In addition to six preset Picture Style settings, Canon offers additional downloadable "Picture Style Files", that can be installed into your camera for even more imaging options at your fingertips.
Highlight Tone Priority
This vital Custom Function lets photographers get even better detail in bright highlights, even in contrasty lighting conditions. Its beneficial for nearly any type of picture, from mid-day shots on a safari to portraits in sunlight, where a user may encounter bright highlight areas where he or she wants to preserve details. Finally, theres no impact on the cameras shooting speed or burst rate when Highlight Tone Priority is engaged. It takes full advantage of the EOS Rebel XSis new 14-bit per channel conversion, meaning there are 16,384 distinct colors from darkest to lightest in each color channel.
Shooting and Sharing Made Easy.
Fully compatible with over 60 EF/EF-S Lenses and a wide range of EOS System accessories.
EF & EF-S Lenses
EOS Rebel XSi is compatible with all Canon lenses in the EF and EF-S lineup, ranging from ultra-wide angle to super telephoto lenses. Canon lenses employ advanced optical expertise and micron-precision engineering to deliver unprecedented performance in all facets of the photographic process. Special optical technologies, such as Aspherical, ultra-low dispersion, or fluorite elements are featured in the universally acclaimed L Series lenses, and Canons Optical Image Stabilizer technology are featured in select lenses to minimize the effect of camera shake. Through Canon lenses, photographers can truly maximize the quality and liberating performance of the EOS Rebel XSi.
The EOS Rebel XSi features the acclaimed E-TTL II flash metering system. With any of the flashes in the EX Speedlite line, E-TTL II provides reliable flash output whether shooting fill-in flash pictures in sunlight, or using flash in total darkness. With E-TTL II, the exact same 35-zone metering sensor used for measuring ambient light is also used for flash metering giving even finer metering command of the image area. If you prefer a broader area for flash metering, theres a menu setting to change to "Average" flash meteringwhere the entire 35-zone area is measured evenly for flash exposure.
The Canon Speedlite 430EX is the ideal step-up accessory for powerful flash shooting with the EOS Rebel XSi. It has excellent flash power (maximum guide number of 141 ft./43m at ISO 100), and is the perfect way to get great flash pictures when you cant get right up to the subject. The 430EX is also great for bounce flash, with its tilting and swiveling flash head. It automatically zooms the flash head to cover lenses ranging from 16mm up to 105mm or longer with the EOS Rebel XSi. Of course, it works with the camera to provide full E-TTL II automatic flash exposure. And the 430EX has a powerful AF-assist beam, which allows the camera to autofocus even in total darkness on subjects as far as 32 ft. from the camera.
Canon EOS Digital Solution Disk (Version 17.0)
The EOS Rebel XSi comes bundled with an updated Canon EOS Digital Solution Disk, which features powerful software programs designed to extend the EOS experience to the computer. These include Canons ZoomBrowser EX for Windows® (Version 6.1), ImageBrowser for Macintosh® OS X (Version 6.1), Digital Photo Professional (Version 3.3), the totally new Picture Style Editor (Version 1.0), Canons EOS Utility (Version 2.2), RAW Image Task (Version 2.8), PhotoStitch, and PTP TWAIN Driver. Each application is designed to perfect the captured images and streamline the digital workflow. ZoomBrowser EX v.6.1 and Digital Photo Professional v.3.3 for Windows are compatible with the new Windows Vista operating system.
Digital Photo Professional (Version 3.3) is an image processing program that enables high-speed RAW image processing, high-speed previewing for real-time image adjustment and support for sRGB, Adobe RGB and Wide Gamut RGB color spaces. Because its CMS (Color Management System) compatible, Digital Photo Professional allows for easy image layout and printing in Adobe RGB in conjunction with Easy-PhotoPrint and PictBridge printers. It also features the Dust Delete Data Detection tool for cleaner images.
EOS Utility (Version 2.3) for Macintosh or Windows handles the connection between the camera and computer, whenever theyre connected via USB. It allows remote controlled shooting from the computer, handles downloading of images from the camera to the computer, and allows seamless linking to either Canons ZoomBrowser/ImageBrowser or Digital Photo Professional software once images have been copied to the hard drive. Furthermore, its used to upload settings back into a USB-connected camera.
ZoomBrowser EX (Version 6.1) for Windows and ImageBrowser (Version 6.1) for Mac OS X are the easy, user-friendly options for viewing and editing of JPEG and even RAW image files. Both allow viewing of numerous types of images including finished TIFF and BMP files. Both also have a variety of search options for finding images, allow re-naming of single images or batches of files, and offer a variety of options for printing without using a separate image-editing program.
RAW Image Task (Version 2.8) for Windows/Macintosh
This software is an integrated component of ZoomBrowser EX (Windows) or ImageBrowser (Mac). It allows processing of RAW images from EOS cameras, including the new EOS Rebel XSi, with a variety of adjustment possibilities. These options, as well as the overall color, contrast and "look" of RAW Image Task, closely mimic the characteristics of Canons in-camera JPEG processing.
- Rebel XSi Body (Black or Silver)
- EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens
- Eyecup Ef
- Wide Strap EW-100DBIII
- Video Cable VC-100
- USB Interface Cable IFC-200U
- Battery Pack LP-E5
- Battery Charger LC-E5
- EOS Digital Solution Disk and Instruction Manuals
- "Great Photography is Easy" Booklet and "Do More with Macro" Booklet
- Type: Digital, single-lens reflex, AF/AE camera with built-in flash
- Recording Medium: SD memory card, SDHC memory card
- Image Format: 22.2mm x 14.8mm
- Compatible Lenses
- Canon EF lenses (including EF-S lenses)
- (35mm-equivalent focal length is approx.1.6x the lens focal length)
- Lens Mount: Canon EF mount
- Image Sensor
- Type: High-sensitivity, high-resolution, large single-plate CMOS sensor
- Pixels: Effective pixels: Approx. 12.20 megapixels
- Total Pixels: Total pixels: Approx. 12.40 megapixels
- Aspect Ratio: 3:2 (Horizontal : Vertical)
- Color Filter System: RGB primary color filter
- Low-pass Filter: Located in front of the image sensor, non-removable
- Recording System
- Recording Format: Design rule for Camera File System 2.0
- Image Format: JPEG, RAW (14-bit Canon original) RAW+JPEG
- File Size
- (1) Large/Fine : Approx. 4.3MB (4272 x 2848 pixels)
- (2) Large/Normal : Approx. 2.2MB (4272 x 2848 pixels)
- (3) Medium/Fine : Approx. 2.5MB (3088 x 2056 pixels)
- (4) Medium/Normal: Approx. 1.3MB (3088 x 2056 pixels)
- (5) Small/Fine : Approx. 1.6MB (2256 x 1504 pixels)
- (6) Small/Normal : Approx. 0.8MB (2256 x 1504 pixels)
- (7) RAW : Approx. 15.3 MB (4272 x 2848 pixels)
- Exact file sizes depend on the subject, ISO speed, Picture Style, etc.
- White Balance
- Settings: Auto, Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Tungsten, White Fluorescent Light, Flash, Custom
- Color Temperature Compensation
- White balance correction: ±9 stops in full-stop increments White balance bracketing: ±3 stops in full-stop increments
- Blue/amber direction or magenta/green direction possible
- Type: Eye-level pentamirror
- Coverage: Vertical/Horizontal approx. 95%
- Magnification: Approx. 0.87x (-1m with 50mm lens at infinity)
- Eyepoint: Approx. 19mm (from eyepiece lens center)
- Dioptric Adjustment Correction: -3.0 to +1.0 diopter
- Mirror: Quick-return half mirror (Transmission: reflection ratio of 40:60, no mirror cut-off with EF600mm f/4L IS USM or shorter lenses)
- Viewfinder Information: AF information (AF points, focus confirmation light), exposure information (shutter speed, aperture, AE lock, exposure level, ISO speed, exposure warning), flash information (flash ready, high-speed sync, FE lock, flash exposure compensation), monochrome shooting, white balance correction, maximum burst, SD memory card information
- Depth-of-Field Preview: Enabled with depth-of-field preview button
- Type: TTL secondary image-registration, phase detection
- AF Points: 9 AF points
- AF Working Range: EV -0.5-18 (at 73°F/23°C, ISO 100)
- Focusing Modes: One-Shot AF, AI Servo AF, AI Focus AF, Manual focusing (MF)
- AF Point Selection: Automatic selection, manual selection
- Selected AF Point Display: Superimposed in viewfinder and indicated on LCD monitor
- AF-assist Beam
- Small series of flashes fired by built-in flash
- Effective range: Approx. 4.0m/13.1 ft. at center, approx. 3.5m/11.5 ft. at periphery
- Exposure Control
- Metering Modes: 35-zone TTL full-aperture metering
- Evaluative metering (linkable to any AF point)
- Partial metering (approx. 9% of viewfinder at center)
- Spot metering (approx. 4% of viewfinder at center)
- Center-weighted average metering
- Metering Range: EV 1-20 (at 73°F/23°C with EF50mm f/1.4 USM lens, ISO 100)
- Exposure Control Systems: Program AE (Full Auto, Portrait, Landscape, Close-up, Sports, Night Portrait, Flash Off, Program), shutter-priority AE, aperture-priority AE, depth-of-field AE, manual exposure, E-TTL II autoflash
- ISO Speed Range
- Basic Zone modes: ISO 100-800 set automatically
- Creative Zone modes: ISO 100-1600 (in 1-stop increments), Auto
- Exposure Compensation
- Manual: ±2 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments (can be combined with AEB)
- AEB: ±2 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments
- AE Lock
- Automatic: When focus achieved with evaluative metering and One-Shot AF
- Manual: By AE lock button
- Type: Electronically-controlled, focal-plane shutter
- Shutter Speeds
- 1/4000 sec. to 1/60 sec., X-sync at 1/200 sec.
- 1/4000 sec. to 30 sec., bulb (Total shutter speed range. Available range varies by shooting mode.)
- Shutter Release: Soft-touch electromagnetic release
- Self-timer: 10-sec. or 2-sec. delay or 10-sec. delay plus continuous shooting
- Remote Control
- Remote Switch RS-60E3
- Remote Controller RC-1/RC-5
- Built-in Flash
- Type: Retractable, auto pop-up flash
- Guide Number: 13/43 (ISO 100, in meters/feet)
- Recycling Time: Approx. 3 sec.
- Flash-ready Indicator: Flash-ready icon lights in viewfinder
- Flash Coverage: 17mm lens angle of view
- Flash Exposure Compensation: ±2 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments
- External Speedlite
- EOS External Flash or Dedicated Speedlites
- E-TTL II autoflash with EX Series Speedlites
- Drive System
- Continuous Shooting Speed: Max. approx. 3.5 shots/sec. (single shots possible)
- Max. Burst During Continuous Shooting
- JPEG (Large/Fine): Approx. 53, RAW: Approx. 6
- RAW+JPEG (Large/Fine): Approx. 4
- Based on Canon's testing standards with a 2GB SD memory card, ISO 100, and Standard Picture Style
- Varies depending on the subject, SD memory card brand, image-recording quality, etc.
- LCD Monitor
- Type: TFT color liquid-crystal monitor
- Screen Monitor size: 3.0 in.
- Pixels: Approx. 230,000 pixels
- Coverage: Approx. 100%
- Brightness Control: 7 levels provided
- Image Display Format: Single image, Single image + Image-recording quality, shooting information, histogram, 4- or 9-image index, magnified view (approx. 1.5x-10x), rotated image, image jump (by 1/10/100 images, or shooting date)
- Highlight Alert: Provided (Overexposed highlights blink)
- Image Protection and Erase
- Protection: Single images can be erase-protected or not
- Erase: Single image, check-marked images, or all images in the card can be erased (except protected images) at one time
- Direct Printing from the Camera: Enabled with the Print/Share button
- Compatible Printers: PictBridge-compatible printers
- Power Source
- Battery Pack LP-E5 (Quantity 1)
- AC power can be supplied via AC Adapter Kit ACK-E5
- With Battery Grip BG-E5, size-AA batteries can be used
- Battery Life
- The above figures apply with a fully-charged Battery Pack LP-E5
- The figures above are based on CIPA (Camera & Imaging Products Association) testing standards
- Battery Check: Automatic
- Power Saving: Provided. Power turns off after 30 sec., 1, 2, 4, 8, or 15 min.
- Back-up Battery: Built-in secondary battery
- Operating Environment
- Operating Temperature Range: 32-104°F/0-40°C
- Operating Humidity Range: 85% or less
- Working Conditions
- Working Temperature Range: 32-104°F/0-40°C
- Working Humidity Range: 85% or less
- Width: 5.1"
- Height: 3.8"
- Depth: 2.4
- Unit (body only): 1 lb 8 oz.
- Shipping: 3 lbs
- Manufacturer Warranty (authorized online retailer):
1 Year Parts and Labor
Features and specifications are subject to change without notice.