Definitive Technology White Disappearing 8" In Ceiling Loudspeaker - DI8R (Sold As Each)
Definitive's Disappearing In-Wall Speakers Just May be the "Holy Grail" of Built-in Speakers
You want great sound everywhere in your home, but you may not always have room for or want the visual intrusion of free-standing speakers. Built-in flushmount speakers seem to be the answer but in practice they don't exactly disappear in the room, in fact many "in-wall" speakers call attention to themselves and create friction between your decorator and your audiophile sensibilities. Worse yet, most built-in speakers fall short on the performance end as well. Would Definitive allow you to suffer with bad sound? Oh no, no, no!
Definitive’s Disappearing™ In-Wall series speakers feature near-invisibility thanks to their small diameters, hidden flange design, and low profile micro-perf grilles. They are as easy to install as traditional flanged flush-mount speakers, and don’t require custom sheetrock/spackle skills to install yet they are practically invisible. The DI 8R grille is a mere 9-3/4" (24.8 cm)in diameter,noticebaly smaller than competing 8" in-ceiling speaker. With Definitive's DI Series you get more sound per square inch of visible speaker.
Definitive's Advanced Technologies Mean Better Sound for You
The Disappearing In-Wall models feature Definitive’s most advanced technologies such as Balanced Dual Surround System (BDSS) mid/woofer drivers and pivoting Pure Aluminum dome tweeters for spectacular audio performance far beyond traditional flush-mount speakers.
Definitive’s exclusive Balanced Dual Surround System (BDSS) driver technology permits these new flush mount speakers to deliver more bass output and dynamic range than larger drivers. For example, the DI 8R's 8" driver has the output, bass and dynamics of a 10" traditional speaker.
With a pivoting 1" Pure Aluminum dome tweeter featuring a specially shaped housing that avoids the diffraction distortions of traditional post-mounted tweeters, and a sophisticated adjustable crossover network, the Disappearing In-Wall models deliver the kind of lifelike sonic performance and broad even dispersion that have made Definitive Technology the most highly reviewed speaker brand in the USA.
Great Sound for Everyone in the Room
With in-ceiling speakers, listeners are almost always "off-axis." You rarely sit right under an in-ceiling speaker; usually the speaker is at a 30, 45 or even 60-degree angle to the listener. We've engineered DI Series speakers to disperse sound over a very wide area so that the sound is well-balance and natural regardless of where you are relative to the speakers. BDSS technology drivers, aimable tweeters as well as the specially countoured and textured AeroRing™ around the driver all contribute to the wide angle dispersion and superior coverage capability of the DI Series models.
Everything You Need for Installation
Optional pre-construction "rough-in" brackets with repositionable metal mesh "arms" are available for new home construction projects. Fire-rated pre-construction enclosures will be available as options, allowing integrators, architects and designers to specify Disappearing In-Wall Speakers in multi-family and commercial applications.
- Flangeless design & micro-perf grille minimize visibility
- Simple to install — no spackle work required
- 9-3/4" (24.8cm)total visible diameter is smaller than competing nominal 8" models.
- Perfect for use as side/rear surround speakers in home theater systems
- Latest generation BDSS drivers for audiophile-grade sound quality
- Pivoting Pure Aluminum dome tweeters
- Axially Aligned design ensures broad, balanced coverage area
- GaussGrip™ magnetic grille fasteners
- Adjustable high-definition crossover
- Optional fire-rated enclosures
- Cast PolyStone™ baskets for rigidity without “ringing”
- Driver complement: 1-inch (25mm) pivoting Aluminum dome tweeter axially aligned with a 8" (20 cm) BDSS bass/midrange driver
- Frequency response: 26Hz - 30kHz
- Impedance: 4 - 8 Ohms
- Sensitivity: 90 dB
- Recommended associated amplifier power: 10 - 225 WPC
- Inputs: One pair of gold plated heavy-duty spring-loaded terminals
- Available finishes: Paintable white (see manual for painting instructions)
- Outer Flange Diameter: 9-3/4"
- Cut Out Diameter: 8-3/4"
- Depth From Flange: 3-7/8"
- Unit: 4.8 lbs
- Shipping: 8 lbs
- Manufacturers Warranty(authorized online retailer): 5 Years Parts and Labor