Apple Mac Pro 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Desktop Computer - MC560LLA
Choose your cores: 4, 6, 8, or 12.
The new Mac Pro offers two advanced processor options from Intel. The Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Nehalem” processor is available in a single-processor, quad-core configuration at speeds up to 3.2GHz. For even greater speed and power, choose the “Westmere” series, Intel’s next-generation processor based on its latest 32-nm process technology. ”Westmere” is available in both quad-core and 6-core versions, and the Mac Pro comes with either one or two processors. Which means that you can have a 6-core Mac Pro at 3.33GHz, an 8-core system at 2.4GHz, or, to max out your performance, a 12-core system at up to 2.93GHz.
The single-die advantage.
Many multicore processors are composed of two separate dies, which means some cached data has to travel outside the processor to get from core to core. That’s an inefficient way to access information. Enter the Quad-Core Intel Xeon processors. Their single-die, 64-bit architecture makes 8MB or 12MB of fully shared L3 cache readily available to each of the processor cores. The result is fast access to cache data and greater application performance. Combine that with the other technological advances and you get a Mac Pro that’s up to 1.5x faster than the previous generation.1
Fast memory. And lots of it.
System memory is often connected to a processor through a separate I/O controller. But Intel Xeon “Nehalem” and “Westmere” processors feature an integrated memory controller. By connecting memory directly to the processor, the new Mac Pro processors have faster access to data stored in memory, and memory latency is reduced.
The integrated memory controller, along with fast DDR3 ECC SDRAM at either 1066MHz or 1333MHz, gives Mac Pro an increase in memory bandwidth over previous generations. More bandwidth allows for more data to be fed to the processor faster, helping each core spend its time processing data, not waiting for information to arrive. And Error Correction Code (ECC) corrects single-bit errors and detects multiple-bit errors automatically. That’s especially important in mission-critical and compute-intensive environments.
Power when (and where) you need it.
The Mac Pro features Turbo Boost, a dynamic performance technology that automatically boosts the processor clock speed based on workload. If you’re using an application that doesn’t need every core, Turbo Boost increases the speed of the active ones, up to 3.33GHz on a 12-core Mac Pro, and up to 3.6GHz on a 6-core system.
Up to 24 virtual cores.
The Intel Xeon processors support Hyper-Threading, which allows two threads to run simultaneously on each core. So, for example, a 12-core Mac Pro presents 24 virtual cores that are recognized by Mac OS X. Performance is enhanced because Hyper-Threading enables the processor to take better advantage of the execution resources available in each core.
Path of least resistance.
A bidirectional, point-to-point connection — called QuickPath Interconnect — gives the Intel Xeon processors quick access to the disk, I/O, and other Mac Pro subsystems. In dual-processor Mac Pro models, there’s a QuickPath Interconnect between the two processors as well. This connection acts as a direct pipeline, so processor-to-processor data doesn’t need to travel to the I/O hub first. It’s another way the Mac Pro boosts performance across the board.
The Mac Pro meets the stringent low power requirements set by the EPA, giving it ENERGY STAR qualification. ENERGY STAR 5.0 sets significantly higher efficiency limits for power supplies and aggressive limits for the computer’s typical annual power consumption.2
- Mac Pro
- Power cord
- Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad
- Magic Mouse
- USB keyboard extension cable
- Install/restore DVDs
- Printed and electronic documentation
- Quad-core (standard configuration)
- One 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon W3530 "Nehalem" processor
- 8MB of fully shared L3 cache per processor
- Turbo Boost dynamic performance up to 3.06GHz
- Hyper-Threading technology for up to 8 virtual cores
- Connections and audio
- Four FireWire 800 ports (two on front panel, two on back panel)
- Five USB 2.0 ports (two on front panel, three on back panel)
- Two USB 2.0 ports on included keyboard
- Front-panel headphone minijack and internal speaker
- Optical digital audio input and output TOSLINK ports
- Analog stereo line-level input and output minijacks
- Multichannel audio through Mini DisplayPort
- Graphics and displays
- Double-wide, 16-lane PCI Express 2.0 graphics slot with one of the following graphics cards installed:
- ATI Radeon HD 5770 with 1GB of GDDR5 memory, PCI Express 2.0, two Mini DisplayPort outputs, and one dual-link DVI port
- ATI Radeon HD 5870 with 1GB of GDDR5 memory, PCI Express 2.0, two Mini DisplayPort outputs, and one dual-link DVI port
- Option to install two ATI Radeon HD 5770 cards
- Support for up to six displays2
- Support for digital resolutions up to 2560 by 1600 pixels
- Support for analog resolutions up to 2048 by 1536 pixels
- Video adapters available for:
- Additional DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter (optional)
- Additional dual-link DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (optional)
- VGA output using Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter or DVI to VGA Display Adapter (optional)
- Dual-processor systems
- 2.4GHz system: 1066MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM
- 2.66GHz and 2.93GHz systems: 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM
- Eight memory slots (four per processor) supporting up to 32GB of main memory using 1GB, 2GB, or 4GB DIMMs
- Single-processor systems
- 2.8GHz and 3.2GHz systems: 1066MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM
- 3.33GHz system: 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM
- Four memory slots supporting up to 16GB of main memory using 1GB, 2GB, or 4GB DIMMs
- Built-in AirPort Extreme 802.11n Wi-Fi wireless networking;3 IEEE 802.11a/b/g compatible
- Bluetooth 2.1 + Enhanced Data Rate (EDR) wireless technology
- Two independent 10/100/1000BASE-T Ethernet (RJ-45) interfaces with support for jumbo frames
- Environmental Status Report
- PVC-free (internal cables)
- Highly recyclable aluminum enclosure
- Meets ENERGY STAR 5.0 requirements4
- Rated EPEAT Gold4
- Electrical and operating requirements
- Line voltage: 100-120V AC or 200-240V AC (wide-range power supply input voltage)
- Frequency: 50Hz to 60Hz single phase
- Current: Maximum of 12A (low-voltage range) or 5A (high-voltage range)
- Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)
- Storage temperature: -40° to 116° F (-40° to 47° C)
- Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
- Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet
- PCI Express expansion
- Three open full-length PCI Express expansion slots5
- One PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot
- Two PCI Express 2.0 x4 slots
- All slots provide mechanical support for 16-lane cards
- 300W combined maximum for all PCI Express slots
- Four 3.5-inch cable-free, direct-attach drive bays with built-in independent 3Gb/s Serial ATA channels; four internal drive carriers included
- Up to 8TB of internal storage6 in bays 1 through 4 using hard drives or solid-state drives in the following capacities:
- 1TB or 2TB hard drives, Serial ATA 3Gb/s, 7200 rpm, 32MB cache
- 512GB solid-state drive, Serial ATA 3Gb/s
- Optional Mac Pro RAID Card with 512MB cache and 72-hour cache battery backup7
- 18x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW) Writes DVD+R and DVD-R discs at up to 18x speed
- Writes DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL discs at up to 8x speed
- Writes DVD+RW discs at up to 8x speed
- Writes DVD-RW discs at up to 6x speed
- Reads DVDs at up to 18x speed
- Writes CD-R and CD-RW discs at up to 32x speed
- Reads CDs at up to 32x speed One open optical drive bay for optional second SuperDrive
- Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Includes iTunes, Time Machine, Quick Look, Spaces, Spotlight, Dashboard, Mail, iChat, Safari, Address Book, QuickTime, iCal, DVD Player, Photo Booth, Front Row, and Xcode Developer Tools.
- iLife Includes iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, iWeb, and GarageBand.
- Width: 8.1"
- Height: 20.1"
- Depth: 18.7"
- Unit: 39.9 lbs
- Shipping: 49 lbs
- Manufacturers Warranty(authorized online retailer): 1 Year Parts and Labor