Martin Logan Reserve ESL Series Black Floor Speakers - ETHBLFTD
MartinLogan is proud to announce an advanced combination of sonic technologies
establishing an unprecedented new direction for audiophile design. Descended
from MartinLogan's renowned CLX™ loudspeaker, the new Ethos features advanced
XStat™ electrostatic technology and a proprietary Vojtko™ crossover topology
delivering the highest sonic standards of efficiency and precision. An immensely
dynamic 8-inch PoweredForce™ woofer and 8-inch passive radiator duo utilize
an innovative 24-bit Vojtko DSP (digital signal processing) Engine and powerful
200-watt class-D amplifier to generate effortlessly detailed bass down to 34Hz—from
an extremely compact design!
- XStat™ Transducer A unique XStat™ transducer was developed to exclusively
address the specific mechanical requirements of the Ethos. Vertically identical
in size and dispersion to the flagship Summit™ X (and taller than the Vantage),
Ethos' 9.2-inch (23cm) horizontal panel dimension required a tighter curve
to achieve MartinLogan's distinct 30-degree dispersion pattern. To accomplish
this MartinLogan engineers reduced the gauge thickness of the steel stators.
The reduced gauge does not alter the performance characteristics of the Ethos'
electrostatic panel. However, as a natural byproduct of tighter build tolerances,
it does increase the visual transparency of the panel. Ethos' new XStat panel
is so visually transparent that it nearly vanishes when you're sitting and
- Hand-Rubbed Wood Finishes Initial shipments of the Ethos will be
available in 3 hand-rubbed, real-wood finishes; black ash, dark cherry, and
new for 2010, flamed teak. Watch for the full gamut of custom shop finishes
to follow soon. In late 2010 flamed teak will be offered as a standard finish
on a wider variety of MartinLogan's top-of-the-line models.
- 24-Bit Vojtko™ Digital Signal Processing (DSP) Engine MartinLogan's
dedicated in-house design & engineering team wanted to pack as much bass performance
as possible into a sleek, compact design without compromising the detail,
speed, and transparency required to keep up with our agile electrostatic panels.
To accomplish this MartinLogan designed an extremely precise 24-Bit Vojtko
DSP Engine in conjunction with a powerful 200-watt class-D amplifier to harness
a stunning low-level performance—uncommon in cabinets this compact.
- Advanced Vojtko Filtering Proprietary Vojtko filtering technology
is utilized for Ethos' electrostatic transducer. This audiophile quality network,
derived from the CLX, is carefully hand-built using precision point-to-point
wiring, polypropylene capacitors, massive air-core coils, and a custom wound
toroidal audio transformer—flawlessly preserving micro-acoustic subtleties
while effortlessly handling the broadest range of dynamics contained within
even the most demanding sonic source.
- PoweredForce™ Woofer & Passive Radiator Dynamic Duo Ethos' 24-Bit
Vojtko DSP Engine and 200-watt digital amplifier create powerfully detailed
bass from a custom designed front-firing 8-inch aluminum-cone PoweredForce
woofer and precisely matched down-firing 8-inch passive radiator. This unique
radiator enhances bass output, much like a port, but without port induced
noise and midrange resonance. Ethos' passive radiator utilizes a full woofer
suspension design to achieve maximize linearity during massive excursion.
Additionally, Ethos' proprietary intelligent DSP engine allowed our engineers
to utilize a smaller-than-average passive radiator to obtain the appropriate
level of bass performance required to flawlessly blend with the electrostatic
panel while still maintaining a minimal footprint for the cabinet.
- Frequency Response 34–23,000 Hz ±3dB
- Horizontal Dispersion 30°
- Vertical Dispersion 44" (112cm) line source
- High Frequency Transducer XStat™ CLS™ electrostatic transducer
- Panel Dimensions 44" × 9.2" (111.8 × 23.4cm)
- Radiating Area 405 in2 (2,616 cm2)
- Low Frequency Transducer 8" (20.3cm) cast basket, high excursion,
aluminum cone with extended throw drive assembly, non-resonance asymmetrical
chamber format. 8" (20.3cm) cast basket, high excursion, polypropylene cone
- Amplifier Woofer: 200 watts/channel (4 ohms)
- Sensitivity 92 dB/2.83 volts/meter
- Impedance 4 Ohms, 0.8 at 20kHz. Compatible with 4, 6, or 8 Ohm rated
- Recommended Amplifier Power 20-500 watts per channel
- Crossover Frequency 375Hz
- Components Custom-wound toroidal audio transformer, air core coils,
polypropylene capacitors. 24-bit DSP based pre-amplifier (used with woofer
- Audio Controls ±10dB under 100 Hz
- Inputs Custom 5-way binding posts
- Power Draw Idle: < 1W/channel, Max: 200W/channel
- Depth: 10.73"
- Height: 59.33"
- Width: 18.23"
- Unit: 42 lbs
- Shipping: 50 lbs
- Manufacturer Warranty (authorized online retailer): 1 Year Parts