Martin Logan Vantage ESL Series High Performance Black Loudspeaker - VANBLBAD
Based on the state-of-the-art Summit™ loudspeaker, Vantage offers unprecedented
performance for its size and price. Key to this achievement is our PoweredForce™
active woofer technology, which generates deep, articulate, dynamic bass from
an astonishingly compact cabinet. An XStat™ electrostatic panel handles the
midrange up, delivering the smooth, pristinely detailed, and richly ambient
sound that is the hallmark of MartinLogan speakers. No ordinary speaker comes
Living in the shadow of a speaker as impressive as the Summit™ is no easy thing.
Vantage rises to the challenge by compressing Summit's groundbreaking ultra-high-resolution
XStat™ , AirFrame™, and PoweredForce™ technologies into a surprisingly compact
package – at a surprisingly compact price. What do you give up? Basically, about
a half octave of low bass and some peak output capability. No fooling, it just
knocks us out what the kid sis can do – you have to hear it to believe it.
- XStat™ Transducer Advanced MicroPerf stator technology gives MartinLogan's
latest-generation CLS™ electrostatic transducer almost twice as much exposed
diaphragm surface as a traditional electrostatic panel of the same size. This
dramatic increase in effective radiating area translates to higher efficiency
and an even more effortless, unlimited dynamic presentation. The XStat pulls
But there's more to it than just putting more holes in the stators, which
must maintain uniform spacing in front of and behind the diaphragm to exacting
tolerances. They cannot flex. XStat's ultra-rigid aluminum AirFrame™ firmly
anchors the transducer's working elements – stators and diaphragm – around
their periphery, while ClearSpar™ spacers stiffen the assembly further across
its width. ClearSpars enable precise, consistent tensioning of the Vacuum
Bonded diaphragm without obstructing the floating, see-through look that
is the visual hallmark of MartinLogan electrostats.
In the end, a speaker cannot outperform the signal feeding it. MartinLogan's
state-of-the-art toroidal transformer and electrical interface engineering
ensure an absolutely transparent link from amplifier to electrostatic panel.
The result is sound of unparalleled purity, precision, clarity, and openness
– the next best thing to no speaker at all.
- AirFrame™ Technology XStat™ panels are secured to speaker cabinets
using MartinLogan's AirFrame technology. AirFrames, manufactured from aerospace-grade
billet and extruded aluminum alloy, make the panels extremely rigid without
obstructing playable surface area or interfering with their dipole sound radiation.
At the same time, they provide electrical and acoustical isolation, minimizing
intermodulation distortion caused by vibration and resonance. Overall, AirFrames
enhance imaging, low-level sonic detail, accuracy, and efficiency.
- Vacuum Bonding The components of each XStat™ panel – two insulated,
high-purity carbon steel stators, plasma-deposited PET diaphragm, and ClearSpar™
spacers – are fused into a cylindrical-section geometry with an aerospace
adhesive whose hold strength exceeds that of welding. Our proprietary Vacuum
Bonding process ensures uniform diaphragm tensioning and facilitates the extremely
tight tolerances necessary for construction of such a precision transducer.
- Curvilinear Line Source Electrostatic Panel One of MartinLogan's
original breakthroughs, CLS™ technology has been an essential ingredient of
every electrostatic loudspeaker we've produced. Proprietary manufacturing
methods enable construction of electrostatic panels as cylindrical sections.
Their gentle horizontal curvature solves the problem of obtaining good high-frequency
dispersion from a large radiating surface without compromising overall sound
quality or reliability.
- MicroPerf™ Stators Although stators are the elements of an electrostatic
driver that are supposed to stand still, they carry the audio signals that
do the work of propelling the diaphragm back and forth to move air and produce
sound. Because the stators sandwich the diaphragm between them, they must
be perforated to allow sound to pass through. Yet they must also be rigid
enough to remain absolutely stationary despite the strong electrostatic forces
pushing and pulling at them during operation.
MartinLogan's MicroPerf design optimizes this tradeoff by reducing the
size of the individual holes and using many more of them than in a traditional
electrostatic panel. MicroPerf almost doubles effective diaphragm radiating
area without compromising structural integrity. The resulting increase in
output capability and efficiency allows a panel to be made much smaller
without sacrificing performance – or to enjoy a substantial leap in bandwidth
and dynamics without growing larger.
- Dipole Sound Radiation The sound we hear from a loudspeaker is a
combination of direct radiation from it to our ears and reflections off of
room surfaces – walls, floor, and ceiling. How our brains integrate all this
information is far from simple. Depending on the angle of incidence to the
ears and the arrival-time difference between direct and reflected sound, reflections
can either blur detail and stereo imaging or enhance the natural impression
of depth and openness.
True dipole speakers, such as electrostatic panels, have long been noted
for their near-ideal radiation patterns. They send very little sound to
the sides, thereby minimizing side-wall reflections with short arrival times
that tend to interfere with perception of the direct sound. Their strong
rear radiation, however, produces a generous amount of ambience-enriching
later-arriving reflections off the wall behind them.
- PoweredForce™ Bass Vantage's PoweredForce woofer section harnesses
an advanced 8-inch aluminum-cone driver, a 200-watt high-resolution amplifier,
and a precision acoustic-control cabinet design to deliver stunning bass,
down to 34 Hz, from an enclosure not much bigger than a case of wine. A 35-Hz
level control allows easy, precise optimization of low-frequency output to
- Low-Distortion Aluminum-Cone Woofers By eliminating cone flexure,
aluminum diaphragms help our advanced-technology woofers achieve the very
low distortion necessary for proper blending with MartinLogan electrostatic
- Bi-wirable Toolless Binding Posts MartinLogan's proprietary toolless
binding posts make cable connection and management easy. Two sets are supplied,
one connected to the crossover section feeding the electrostatic panel, the
other to the section feeding the woofer. When the two are linked using the
supplied straps, a conventional single-cable connection can be used. Or you
can remove the straps for bi-wiring.
- Vojtko™ Crossover Carefully hand-built using only the finest polypropylene
capacitors and air-core coils, the crossover employ's MartinLogan's proprietary
Vojtko topology for vanishingly low distortion and seamless driver integration.
This precision-tuned network preserves even the most microscopic sonic nuances
while handling the full dynamics of any source.
- Energy Transfer Coupler Spikes The Vantage is supplied with sturdy,
3/8-16 ETC™ spikes, which can be used in place of the standard feet to enhance
stability on thick carpets or to create tighter coupling between speaker and
- Finish Options Available in a variety of hand-rubbed wood finishes,
MartinLogan Vantage loudspeakers can be personalized to match any décor.
- Frequency Response 34–23,000 Hz ±3dB
- Horizontal Dispersion 30°
- Vertical Dispersion 40" (102cm) line source
- High Frequency Transducer XStat™ CLS™ electrostatic transducer
- Panel Dimensions 40" × 9.3" (101.6 × 23.6cm)
- Radiating Area 372 in2 (2,398 cm2)
- Low Frequency Transducer 8" (20.3cm) high excursion, high-rigidity
paper cone with extended throw drive assembly, non-resonance asymmetrical
chamber format; bass reflex
- Amplifier Woofer: 200 watts/channel (4 ohms)
- Sensitivity 92 dB/2.83 volts/meter
- Impedance 4 Ohms, 1 at 20kHz. Compatible with 4, 6, or 8 Ohm rated
- Recommended Amplifier Power 20-500 watts per channel
- Crossover Frequency 400Hz
- Components Custom-wound audio transformer, air core coils, polypropylene
- Audio Controls ±10dB at 35Hz
- Inputs Custom 5-way bi-wire binding posts
- Power Draw Idle: 8W/channel Max: 140W/channel
- Unit: 52 lbs
- Shipping: 57 lbs
- Depth: 10.7"
- Height: 57"
- Width: 16.25"
- Manufacturer Warranty (authorized online retailer): 1 Year Parts