Definitive Technology Rectangular Bipolar In-Wall Speaker, Model DI55BPS
The Ideal Surround Speaker
Many listeners have found that built-in speakers are the perfect solution for
side and/or rear channel surround speakers. They take up no floor space and
virtually disappear from view. We specifically designed the DI 5.5BPS for surround
channel duties. You can install them in walls or ceilings for enveloping surround
effects with smooth natural response and precise detail retrieval. Every sound
effect and musical note will be revealed with exact accuracy while you are enveloped
in a life-like bubble of sound.
Definitive's Disappearing In-Wall Speakers Just May be the "Holy Grail"
of Built-in Speakers
You want great sound everywhere in your home, but you may not always have room
for or want the visual intrusion of free-standing speakers. Built-in flushmount
speakers seem to be the answer but in practice they don't exactly disappear
in the room, in fact many "in-wall" speakers call attention to themselves and
create friction between your decorator and your audiophile sensibilities. Worse
yet, most built-in speakers fall short on the performance end as well. Would
Definitive allow you to suffer with bad sound? Oh no, no, no!
Definitive’s Disappearing™ In-Wall series speakers feature near-invisibility
thanks to their small area, hidden flange design, and low profile micro-perf
grilles. They are as easy to install as traditional flanged flush-mount speakers,
and don’t require custom sheetrock/spackle skills to install yet they are practically
Definitive's Advanced Technologies Mean Better Sound for You
The Disappearing In-Wall models feature Definitive’s most advanced technologies
such as Balanced Dual Surround System (BDSS) mid/woofer drivers and pivoting
Pure Aluminum dome tweeters for spectacular audio performance far beyond traditional
Definitive’s exclusive Balanced Dual Surround System (BDSS) driver technology
permits these new flush mount speakers to deliver more bass output and dynamic
range than larger drivers. For example, the DI 5.5R's two 5-1/4" drivers have
the output, bass and dynamics of a 8" traditional speaker.
With a pivoting 1" Pure Aluminum dome tweeter featuring a specially shaped
housing that avoids the diffraction distortions of traditional post-mounted
tweeters, and a sophisticated adjustable crossover network, the Disappearing
In-Wall models deliver the kind of lifelike sonic performance and broad even
dispersion that have made Definitive Technology the most highly reviewed speaker
brand in the USA.
Great Sound for Everyone in the Room
We've engineered DI Series speakers to disperse sound over a very wide area
so that the sound is well-balance and natural regardless of where you are relative
to the speakers. BDSS technology drivers, aimable tweeters as well as the specially
countoured and textured AeroRing™ around the driver all contribute to the wide
angle dispersion and superior coverage capability of the DI Series models.
- Flangeless design & micro-perf grille minimize visibility
- Simple to install — no spackle work required
- Bipolar sound dispersion, ideal for side or rear surround channel applications
or anywhere extremely broad sound coverage is desired
- Latest generation BDSS drivers for audiophile-grade sound quality
- Pivoting Pure Aluminum dome tweeters
- Axially Aligned design ensures broad, balanced coverage area
- GaussGrip™ magnetic grille fasteners
- Adjustable high-definition crossover
- Optional fire-rated enclosures
- Cast PolyStone™ baskets for rigidity without “ringing”
- Driver complement: Two each 1" (25mm) pivoting Aluminum dome tweeters
axially aligned with 5-1/4" (13.3cm) BDSS drivers in a bipolar configuration
- Frequency response: 28Hz - 30kHz
- Impedance: 4 - 8 Ohms
- Sensitivity: 89 dB
- Recommended associated amplifier power: 10 - 225 WPC
- Inputs: One pair of gold plated heavy-duty spring-loaded terminals
- Available finishes: Paintable white (see manual for painting instructions)
- Packaging: One speaker per carton
- Outer flange (grille) dimensions:
- Width: 7.75"
- Length: 13.625"
- Cutout dimensions:
- Width: 6.81"
- Length: 12.625"
- Depth from flange: 3.875"
- Unit: 8.4 lbs
- Shipping: 10 lbs
- Manufacturer Warranty (authorized online retailer): 5 Years