Martin Logan Matinee Compact Electrostatic Center Channel Speaker - MATBLD
Matinee is a highly evolved expression of the same ideas and engineering that
spawned the Stage and Motif speakers. A state-of-the-art Generation 2 MicroPerf
electrostatic panel, dual paper-cone woofers, and highly sophisticated Vojtko
crossover deliver unrivaled precision and center-channel intelligibility. Carefully
hand-built using only the finest components, Matinee's crossover preserves even
the most subtle sonic nuances while handling the full dynamics of any source.
Wall-mount brackets and an optional pivoting stand with 35 degrees of motion
(sold seperately) allow Matinee to work as either a center or surround speaker,
mounted on- or off-wall, horizontally or vertically. Only a handful of speakers
(our own floorstanding electrostats) match or outperform the Matinee in any
of these applications, and none outpace it in all of them.
- Hybrid Dynamic Technology What really sets the Matinee apart is a
high-resolution neodymium soft dome tweeter embedded directly in the electrostatic
panel. By eliminating the need for a bulky tweeter-housing mounted in front
of the ESL panel (as found on the Cinema and Theater center channels), the
Matinee all but eliminates high-frequency diffraction. This unique mounting
system also increases mid-range/high-frequency phase coherence and time alignment
while offering superior dispersion characteristics (compared to previous MartinLogan
- CLS™ Generation 2 Electrostatic Panel Innovative manufacturing techniques
enabled MartinLogan to produce the original Curvilinear Line Source panels,
the first wide-range electrostatic drivers to deliver good horizontal sound
dispersion without sacrificing overall sound quality or reliability. CLS Generation
2 builds on that success with advanced diaphragm and stator technologies that
significantly enhance speaker efficiency and dynamics.Our new thin-film plasma-deposition
process applies an improved conductive coating to the ultra-low-mass PET (polyethylene
terathylate) diaphragm for superior adhesion and abrasion resistance, as well
as a better impedance characteristic. MicroPerf stators expose more of the
diaphragm surface, dramatically expanding effective radiating area without
increasing panel size, while ClearSpar™ spacers help maintain their stiffness
without impairing the signature transparent look of MartinLogan electrostats.
- Curvilinear Line Source Electrostatic Panel One of MartinLogan's
original breakthroughs, CLS™ technology has been an essential ingredient of
every electrostatic loudspeaker we've produced. Proprietary manufacturing
methods enable construction of electrostatic panels as cylindrical sections.
Their gentle horizontal curvature solves the problem of obtaining good high-frequency
dispersion from a large radiating surface without compromising overall sound
quality or reliability.
- MicroPerf Stators Although stators are the elements of an electrostatic
driver that are supposed to stand still, they carry the audio signals that
do the work of propelling the diaphragm back and forth to move air and produce
sound. Because the stators sandwich the diaphragm between them, they must
be perforated to allow sound to pass through. Yet they must also be rigid
enough to remain absolutely stationary despite the strong electrostatic forces
pushing and pulling at them during operation. MartinLogan's MicroPerf design
optimizes this tradeoff by reducing the size of the individual holes and using
many more of them than in a traditional electrostatic panel. MicroPerf almost
doubles effective diaphragm radiating area without compromising structural
integrity. The resulting increase in output capability and efficiency allows
a panel to be made much smaller without sacrificing performance – or to enjoy
a substantial leap in bandwidth and dynamics without growing larger.
- Low-Distortion Aluminum-Cone Woofers By eliminating cone flexure,
aluminum diaphragms help our advanced-technology woofers achieve the very
low distortion necessary for proper blending with MartinLogan electrostatic
- On-Wall/Off-Wall Acoustic Contour Switch Motif features a
unique 'on-wall/off-wall' switch that tailors acoustic equalization to either
installation option. Simply set this switch to On-Wall if mounting to a surface.
Set the switch to Off-Wall if the Motif is more than four inches from a wall.
Setting this switch ensures that you will achieve total system matching in
even the most diverse setups (such as systems mixing on-wall and off-wall
- Vojtko™ Crossover Carefully hand-built using only the finest polypropylene
capacitors and air-core coils, the crossover employ's MartinLogan's proprietary
Vojtko topology for vanishingly low distortion and seamless driver integration.
This precision-tuned network preserves even the most microscopic sonic nuances
while handling the full dynamics of any source.
- Application Versatility Matinee is suitable for use in any stereo
or multi-channel audio system, mounted either on- or off-wall. And it blends
well with other MartinLogan speakers in both sound and appearance, which allows
mixing and matching to meet specific installation requirements.
- Installation Versatility The Matinee LCR speaker easily installs
on a set-top or shelf. Additionally, using the included wall-mount brackets
and installation template Matinee may horizontally/vertically mounted to a
wall (under or beside a plasma screen, for example).
- Easy Installation Low-Voltage Power Supply A low-voltage DC power
supply eliminates the need for a traditional, heavy IEC power cord and increases
- Toolless Binding Posts MartinLogan's proprietary toolless binding
posts make cable connection and management easy.
- Frequency Response 73–20,000 Hz ±3dB
- Horizontal Dispersion 30°
- High Frequency Transducer 1" (2.5cm) neodymium soft dome
- Mid Frequency Transducer Patented CLS™ Generation 2 MicroPerf electrostatic
- Panel Dimensions 5.4" × 15" (13.7 × 38.1cm)
- Radiating Area 81 in (522 cm)
- Low Frequency Transducer Two 5.25" (13.4 cm) steel basket, neodymium
magnet, paper cone with extended throw driver assembly, non-resonant asymmetrical
chamber format; shielded
- Sensitivity 89 dB/2.83 volts/meter
- Impedance Nominal: 6 Ohms Minimum: 4 Ohms. Compatible with 4, 6,
or 8 Ohm rated amplifiers.
- Recommended Amplifier Power 20-300 watts per channel
- Crossover Frequency 450, 4000 Hz
- Components Air core coils
- Inputs Custom 5-way binding posts
- Unit: 21 lbs
- Shipping: 27 lbs
- Height: 7.6"
- Width: 29.75"
- Depth: 9"
- Manufacturer Warranty (authorized online retailer): 1 Year Parts