Apple 15.4 Inch MacBook Pro 2.2GHz Intel Core i7 Quad-Core Silver Notebook Computer, Model Z0M10009U
- Same as MC723LLA with upgraded processor, memory, and high resolution widescreen display
- Up to 2x faster processors and 3x faster graphics.
- Next-generation quad-core and quad-core Intel processors.
The 13-inch MacBook Pro now features a 2.3GHz Intel Core i5 processor or the fastest quad-core processor available — the 2.7GHz Intel Core i7. With Turbo Boost speeds up to 3.4GHz, these processors allow the 13-inch MacBook Pro to perform up to twice as fast as the previous generation.
But we couldn’t leave fast enough alone. The new 15- and 17-inch models bring quad-core power to almost everything you do. The available 2.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor — with Turbo Boost speeds up to 3.4GHz and up to 8MB of shared L3 cache — enables these MacBook Pro models to run applications up to twice as fast as their top-of-the-line predecessors.
- The graphics performance you need, when you need it.
The integrated Intel HD Graphics 3000 processor — now included across the MacBook Pro lineup — handles the things you do every day. It encodes video quickly, making HD video calls with FaceTime possible. And it decodes efficiently, so you get long playback time for DVDs and iTunes movies.
For graphics-intensive applications, the 15- and 17-inch MacBook Pro models automatically switch to new high-performance AMD Radeon graphics processors. With up to 3x the performance of the previous models,3 they let you see more frames per second in 3D games, or work on HD video projects with more speed and responsiveness than before.
- Introducing Thunderbolt.
The fastest, most versatile I/O ever in a notebook.
Imagine accessing multiple streams of uncompressed HD video — from your notebook — at speeds that let you edit an HD feature film in real time. That’s how Thunderbolt technology will connect the next generation of high-performance peripherals to the next generation of computers — starting with MacBook Pro. Ultrafast and ultraflexible, the Thunderbolt pipeline is more than 12 times faster than FireWire 800 and up to 20 times faster than USB 2.0, and it offers unprecedented expansion capabilities. It changes what you can do on a notebook.
The Thunderbolt port will give you plug-and-play performance with a whole new world of Thunderbolt peripherals, as well as with the Apple LED Cinema Display and other Mini DisplayPort peripherals. You can daisy-chain as many as six devices, including your display. And with support for video and eight-channel audio, it’s easy to connect HDMI-compatible devices — like your TV and home stereo — using the HDMI adapter you already have. Current VGA, DVI, and DisplayPort adapters are also supported.
- The new FaceTime HD camera. The difference is clear.
Get more of your friends in the picture with crisp, widescreen HD video. The new FaceTime HD camera gives you three times the resolution of the previous camera — perfect for the brilliant LED-backlit display — along with improved low-light performance. You and your friends can make 720p HD calls from one new MacBook Pro to another. You can also make video calls to other Intel-based Mac computers,4 iPhone 4, or the new iPod touch.
- Multi-Touch trackpad.
Be more hands-on.
The Multi-Touch trackpad is the most natural way to interact with what’s on your screen, and the smooth glass surface gives you plenty of room for gestures. Pinch to zoom in and out, swipe to flip through photos, rotate to adjust an image, and much more. The buttonless design lets you click anywhere. And if you’re coming from a right-click world, you can right-click with two fingers or configure a right-click area on the trackpad. The more you use the Multi-Touch trackpad, the more you’ll wonder how you ever did without it.
- A long-lasting battery. Charge less. Do more.
The new MacBook Pro delivers amazing battery life. And that’s with more powerful processors and faster graphics. An energy-efficient processor architecture with an integrated video encoder, along with automatic graphics switching in the 15- and 17-inch models, all help improve battery life. So you can expect to surf the web wirelessly for up to 7 hours on a single charge. Or take your entire creative studio on the road for live performances or a location shoot. Advanced chemistry and Adaptive Charging give you up to 1000 full charge and discharge cycles — nearly three times the lifespan of typical notebook batteries. And because the MacBook Pro battery lasts up to five years, MacBook Pro uses just one battery in the same time a typical notebook uses three. That’s better for you and for the environment.
Apple is using a new, more rigorous battery test that measures the results you can expect in the real world — like surfing your favorite sites in a coffee shop or catching up on the latest web videos. Even using this new test, MacBook Pro delivers amazing battery life. For your real life.
- It’s very well connected.
When you’re out and about, the latest 802.11n wireless technology in MacBook Pro makes it easy to get connected just about anywhere.7 MacBook Pro automatically finds available networks and allows you to join them with a click. Bluetooth wireless technology is also built in, so you can use your favorite wireless accessories right out of the box.
- Ports with possibility.
With the new Thunderbolt port, you can daisy-chain as many as six devices, including your display, to create a full-fledged workstation. Two USB 2.0 ports (three on the 17-inch MacBook Pro) and a FireWire 800 port let you connect your iPad, iPod, iPhone, digital cameras, and external hard drives.
The new SDXC card slot on the 13- and 15-inch MacBook Pro models supports up to 64GB cards and makes it a snap to transfer all those photos to and from your MacBook Pro, so you can edit and share them on the spot. And the ExpressCard/34 slot on the 17-inch MacBook Pro is perfect for an eSATA adapter — or even a 3G wireless card for times when no Wi-Fi network is available.
- Burn DVDs superfast.
After using iMovie and iDVD to edit and apply the finishing touches to your home movie, use the 8x SuperDrive on MacBook Pro to burn it to DVD in no time. Since the SuperDrive writes to double-layer discs (DVDs with nearly 9GB of space), it’s great for backing up data, too.
- Strength. Lightness.
Beauty. Seamlessly integrated.
MacBook Pro is machined from a single piece of aluminum, an engineering breakthrough that replaced many parts with just one. It’s called the unibody. And the first time you pick up a MacBook Pro you’ll notice the difference it makes. The entire enclosure is thinner and lighter than other notebooks. It looks polished and refined. And it feels strong and durable — perfect for life inside (and outside) your briefcase or backpack.
- A display full of bright ideas.
Everything Apple designers and engineers do, they do for a reason. They chose LED backlight technology for the MacBook Pro because it makes the display instantly bright and allows it to be incredibly thin. They used edge-to-edge glass not just because it looks beautiful, but because it lends structure to the display. And at the top of the screen they hid the new built-in FaceTime HD camera. So you see your friends and family in big, beautiful widescreen — and as little of the camera as possible.
- Multi-Touch trackpad.
It just feels right.
The Multi-Touch trackpad has no button because it is the button. That means there’s more room to track and more room to click — left, right, center, and everywhere in between. Apple designers and engineers spent countless hours considering things like sensitivity (how much pressure triggers a click?), audio feedback (what does the click sound like?), and friction over the smooth glass surface (what does it feel like?). The result is a trackpad that just makes sense to you — and your fingers.
- Easy access to connections and ports.
The connections and ports on MacBook Pro — MagSafe power, Gigabit Ethernet, Thunderbolt, USB, SDXC, and audio in/out — are all smartly integrated on the same side of the notebook. So your cables stay neatly organized, and connecting and disconnecting your devices is easy and convenient.
- Designed to make an impact. Just not on the environment.
Complete control over how the MacBook Pro is designed, how it’s manufactured, and how it’s packaged gives Apple an environmental edge. LED backlight technology preserves energy. Glass and aluminum are highly recyclable. MacBook Pro is free of most harmful toxins. And the 17-inch model ships in packaging that’s 34 percent smaller than the original, while the packaging for the 13-inch model is 41 percent smaller. That means fewer trees used for boxes and fewer planes, trains, and trucks used for transport.
- New Intel Core i5 and i7 processors.
- Up to 2x faster at the core.
New quad-core Intel Core i7 processors are standard on the 15- and 17-inch MacBook Pro. And the 13-inch models feature the new quad-core Intel Core i5 processor or the fastest quad-core processor available — the Intel Core i7. All the models use Intel’s recently refined chipsets. So what does all that mean for the new MacBook Pro models? Bottom line: They perform up to twice as fast as the previous generation,1 breezing through demanding tasks like editing HD video, compiling audio, or rendering a multilayered image file. And since Mac OS X Lion is designed to take advantage of every processor core, it captures every last bit of performance from the processor.
- Faster single-chip microarchitecture.
Whether you’re watching a movie, updating your blog, or editing photos, data has to travel from place to place to be processed. The latest Intel Core architecture puts the processor, cache, memory controller, and graphics engine on a single chip. Since data doesn’t have as far to travel, you get faster performance and greater efficiency.
- Turbo Boost 2.0.
Say you’re using a processor-intensive application like Aperture 3 or Final Cut Pro that benefits from extra power. Turbo Boost is a dynamic performance technology that automatically increases the speed of the active cores — up to 3.4GHz. Turbo Boost 2.0 is even more dynamic and efficient. By shifting core frequency in smaller increments than before, it allows the processor to manage performance without sacrificing efficiency. All this takes place behind the scenes, so your work just goes smoother and faster.
Hyper-Threading is now standard on every MacBook Pro. This technology allows two threads to run simultaneously on each core, so Mac OS X recognizes eight virtual cores on a quad-core processor and four on a quad-core processor. When you’re running multiple applications at once, the processor spreads tasks more evenly across a greater number of cores.
- Integrated memory controller.
With faster access to memory, each core can get right to work on your data, rather than waiting for it to arrive. That’s why the new Intel Core architecture uses an integrated memory controller to connect fast 1333MHz memory directly to the processor. Together with up to 8MB of shared L3 cache, the integrated memory controller helps your applications run at peak performance.
- Energy-efficient graphics.
Thanks to the new microarchitecture, the graphics processor is on the same chip as the central processor and has direct access to L3 cache. That proximity translates into performance. The graphics processor also automatically increases clock speeds for higher workloads. An integrated video encoder enables HD video calls with FaceTime, while an efficient decoder gives you long battery life when you’re watching DVDs or iTunes movies.
- Up to 3x quicker on the draw. And the render.
When you need more performance for things like playing 3D games, editing HD video, or even running CAD software, the 15- and 17-inch MacBook Pro models automatically switch to discrete AMD Radeon graphics that let you see more frames per second and experience better responsiveness. With up to 1GB of dedicated GDDR5 video memory, these processors provide up to 3x faster performance than the previous generation.
- Introducing Thunderbolt. Data transfer is now lightning fast.
Thunderbolt technology has arrived — and MacBook Pro is the first notebook to have it. Now one connection carries both DisplayPort and PCI Express. With two 10-Gbps data channels, you can transfer data more than 12 times faster than with FireWire 800. And don’t worry about a single drive or peripheral tying up the Thunderbolt port: You can daisy-chain as many as six devices, including your display. So with one tiny, streamlined port, you get lightning-fast transfer speeds and huge expansion capabilities.
- Mac OS X. The world’s most advanced operating system.
At the heart of every MacBook Pro — and every Mac — is Mac OS X, an operating system custom made for the Intel multicore processors and advanced graphics inside. The latest version, Mac OS X Lion, is based on an entirely 64-bit architecture, and so are virtually all of the applications that come with a Mac. Translation: Everything you do on your MacBook Pro happens with dramatic speed and incredible overall performance.
- Powerful applications that are easy to use.
Because Apple makes MacBook Pro and the software that comes on it, everything works together perfectly. Becoming familiar with Apple applications takes almost no time because they all work in similar ways. So once you get the hang of one application, it takes little or no effort to master the others.
And Apple understands portable productivity. Which is why we include features — like Exposé and Spaces — to help you access everything on your MacBook Pro. With one keystroke or gesture, Exposé instantly tiles all your open windows, scales them down, and neatly arranges them in a grid, so you can see what’s in every single one. And Spaces lets you group windows together within their own desktop, or space, that you can move between quickly. Create a space for work, a space for play, a space for whatever you like. Together, Exposé and Spaces give you a big advantage when you’re multitasking on a notebook screen.
- Wireless networking. Without the work.
See a network, join a network. With a Mac, getting online via Wi-Fi is just that easy. One click of the AirPort icon in the menu bar gives you a list of available networks. Select the one you want to join, enter the password, if necessary, and you’re up and running.
- One thing a Mac doesn’t do: Get PC viruses.
Trojan horses, worms, email viruses. The digital world can be a scary place. Thankfully, a Mac isn’t susceptible to the thousands of viruses plaguing Windows-based computers. Mac OS X comes with built-in defenses that keep you safe, without any work on your part. And when a potential security threat arises, Apple responds quickly by providing software updates and security enhancements you can download automatically and install with a click.
- Automatic backup saves the day. And the week, month, and year.
Backing up is essential. Yet you probably don’t do it as often as you should. That’s why your MacBook Pro bears the burden of backing up for you. Time Machine, an application that comes on every Mac, automatically backs up your entire system to your external hard drive or Time Capsule. Time Machine keeps a spare copy of every file, and it also remembers how your system looked on a given day. So you can revisit your Mac as it appeared in the past.
- Even the everyday stuff is amazing.
Unlike a lot of PC notebooks, MacBook Pro comes with everything you need to send email, manage your calendar, organize your contacts, and more. And it’s ready to do all these things minutes after you take it out of the box. That’s because every Mac comes with Mail for sending and receiving email, iCal for managing appointments and important events, Address Book for organizing your contacts, iTunes for all things entertainment, and other fun and useful applications you’ll find yourself using every day.
- The Mac App Store. A thousand more reasons to love a Mac.
More than a thousand Mac apps are a click away at the Mac App Store. Find the ones you want and simply click to download and install. No more boxes. No more disks. No more hassle. You can browse apps by category or search for something specific. And you can easily keep your apps up to date, because your Mac will let you know when updates are available.
- FaceTime. Now making HD video calls.
MacBook Pro comes with the new FaceTime HD camera and easy-to-use FaceTime for Mac software. Just click to make HD video calls from MacBook Pro to MacBook Pro. You can also make video calls to other Intel-based Mac computers, iPhone 4, or the new iPod touch. Your calls will start in portrait view, but you can easily rotate to the new widescreen format. FaceTime automatically displays your contacts from Address Book, so you don’t have to build a buddy list. And calls ring through to your Mac even when you don’t have the FaceTime app open.
- iPhoto. The best way to organize, edit, and share your photos.
iPhoto is an easy-to-use photo application that makes it fast and fun to organize and find your pictures, as well as make them look their absolute best. With features like Faces, Places, and Events, iPhoto helps you keep track of your photos by who’s in them and when and where you took them — all in an immersive full-screen view. Use quick and simple editing tools to make so-so shots picture perfect with just a few clicks. iPhoto even lets you share your photos with the world with beautiful photo books and letterpress cards or online via Facebook, MobileMe, and Flickr.
- iMovie. Turn your home movies into home blockbusters.
Don’t settle for boring home movies. With iMovie, you can transform the videos you shoot into your very own indie flicks. Create a Hollywood-style trailer that’ll make your audience laugh, cry, and cheer for more. If you know how to drag and drop, you can make a movie in iMovie. It comes with Apple-designed themes that look fun and professional. Just choose one and iMovie does the rest, adding animated titles and sophisticated transitions automatically. Customize your screen gem further with your own words and audio.
- GarageBand. Creating great-sounding songs is as easy as 1, 2, 3, 4.
Whether you’re musically gifted or mostly curious, GarageBand is the application for you. Plug in your electric guitar or USB music keyboard and get ready to rock with virtual replicas of the most revered amps and stompboxes in the world, as well as over 100 software instruments. Just because you didn’t grow up learning your A, B, and C sharp doesn’t mean you can’t. Basic Lessons teach you just that: the basics. Choose from 40 lessons that cover blues guitar, rock guitar, classical piano, pop piano, and more. Or get a private lesson from one of your musical heroes, like Sting or Death Cab for Cutie, with Artist Lessons. GarageBand even tells you how well you’re playing in real time with a feature called “How Did I Play?”
- Efficient power supply.
MacBook Pro includes a highly efficient power supply that reduces the amount of power wasted when bringing electricity from the wall to your computer. Lower power consumption reduces energy bills and lessens the environmental impact of greenhouse gas emissions from power plants.
- Advanced power management.
Unlike a lot of Windows-based PC systems, MacBook Pro uses energy-efficient hardware components that work hand in hand with the operating system to conserve power. Mac OS X activates sleep mode on already energy-efficient LED-backlit displays. And it balances tasks across both central processors and graphics processors. Mac OS X never misses a power-saving opportunity, no matter how small. It even regulates the processor between keystrokes, reducing power between the letters you type. That’s just one of many ways Apple manages small amounts of power that add up to big savings.
- ENERGY STAR qualification.
MacBook Pro meets the stringent low power requirements set by the EPA in their ENERGY STAR 5.0 qualification. ENERGY STAR 5.0 sets significantly higher efficiency limits for power supplies and aggressive limits for the computer’s typical annual power consumption.
- Fewer toxins.
The greatest environmental challenge facing the computer industry today is the presence of arsenic, brominated flame retardants (BFRs), mercury, phthalates, and polyvinyl chloride (PVC) in products. Apple engineers have worked hard to eliminate BFRs and PVC from MacBook Pro circuit boards, internal and external cables, connectors, insulators, adhesives, and more. And they’ve eliminated many other toxins that are a common part of notebook computer manufacturing — choosing, for example, mercury-free backlighting and arsenic-free glass for the MacBook Pro display.
- Smaller boxes, fewer planes.
Every MacBook Pro comes in a smaller package than it used to — including our most popular model, the 13-inch, which ships in packaging that’s 41 percent smaller than the original. And smaller boxes are much better for the planet. Because smaller boxes mean we can fit more boxes on each shipping pallet. Which means more products will fit on each boat and plane. Which means fewer boats and planes are used, resulting in fewer CO2 emissions. It’s one seemingly minor change. But it has a major positive impact on our environment.
- Recyclable materials.
Apple has minimized the waste when MacBook Pro reaches end of life through its ultraefficient design and the use of aluminum, which recyclers can reuse for other products.
- Free recycling for your old computer.
If you live in the U.S., Apple offers a free recycling program for old computers and displays with the purchase of any new Mac.
- EPEAT Gold rating.
The Electronic Product Environmental Assessment Tool, or EPEAT, evaluates the environmental impact of a product based on how recyclable it is, how much energy it uses, and how it’s designed and manufactured. Through its innovative and environmentally friendly design, MacBook Pro has earned the highest rating of EPEAT Gold.
- MagSafe Power Adapter
The power cord is held in place magnetically, so if someone should trip over it, the cord disconnects harmlessly and your MacBook Pro stays put safely.
- Thunderbolt Port
Thunderbolt lets you connect high-performance devices and high-resolution displays to a single, compact port. It even supports Mini DisplayPort devices — such as your Apple LED Cinema Display or an HDMI adapter for your television.
Connections and Expansion
- MagSafe power port
- Gigabit Ethernet port
- FireWire 800 port (up to 800 Mbps)
- Two USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps)
- Thunderbolt port (up to 10 Gbps)
- Audio line in
- Audio line out
- SDXC card slot
- Kensington lock slot
- Wi-Fi wireless networking2 (based on IEEE 802.11n specification); IEEE 802.11a/b/g compatible
- Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) wireless technology
- 10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45 connector)
- Stereo speakers with subwoofers
- Omnidirectional microphone (located under left speaker grille)
- Audio line in minijack (digital/analog)
- Audio line out/headphone minijack (digital/analog)
- Support for Apple iPhone headset with microphone
- 15.4-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy or optional antiglare widescreen display with support for millions of colors
Graphics and Video Support
- AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics processor with 1GB of GDDR5 memory
- Intel HD Graphics 3000 with 384MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory5
- Automatic graphics switching
- Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors
- FaceTime HD camera
- Thunderbolt digital video output
- Native Mini DisplayPort output
- DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter (optional)
- VGA output using Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter (optional)
- Dual-link DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter supports 30-inch Apple Cinema HD Display (optional)
- HDMI audio and video output using a third-party Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter
Processor and Memory
- Full-size backlit keyboard with 78 (U.S.) or 79 (ISO) keys, including 12 function keys and 4 arrow keys (inverted “T” arrangement)
- Multi-Touch trackpad for precise cursor control; supports inertial scrolling, pinch, rotate, swipe, three-finger swipe, four-finger swipe, tap, double-tap, and drag capabilities
- 2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor with 6MB shared L3 cache
- 4GB (two 2GB SO-DIMMs) of 1333MHz DDR3 memory; two SO-DIMM slots support up to 8GB
Battery and Power7
- 500GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA hard drive6
- 8x slot-loading SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
- Maximum write: 8x DVD-R, DVD+R; 4x DVD-R DL (double layer), DVD+R DL (double layer), DVD-RW, DVD+RW; 24x CD-R; 10x CD-RW
- Maximum read: 8x DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-ROM; 6x DVD-ROM (double layer DVD-9), DVD-R DL (double layer), DVD+R DL (double layer), DVD-RW, DVD+RW; 24x CD
Electrical and Operating Requirements
- Built-in 77.5-watt-hour lithium-polymer battery
- 85W MagSafe Power Adapter with cable management system
- MagSafe power port
- Line voltage: 100V to 240V AC
- Frequency: 50Hz to 60Hz
- Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F
(10° to 35° C)
- Storage temperature: -13° to 113° F
(-24° to 45° C)
- Relative humidity: 0% to 90% noncondensing
- Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet
- Maximum storage altitude: 15,000 feet
- Maximum shipping altitude: 35,000 feet
What’s in the box:
- Mac OS X v10.7 Lion (includes iTunes, Time Machine, Quick Look, Spaces, Spotlight, Dashboard, Mail, iChat, Safari, Address Book, QuickTime, iCal, DVD Player, Photo Booth, Front Row, Xcode Developer Tools)
- iLife (includes iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, iWeb, GarageBand)
- MacBook Pro
- Display cleaning cloth
- 85W MagSafe Power Adapter, AC wall plug, and power cord
- Software DVDs
- Printed and electronic documentation
Environmental Status Report:
- MacBook Pro is designed with the following features to reduce its environmental impact:
- Highly recyclable aluminum and glass enclosure
- Mercury-free LED-backlit display
- Arsenic-free display glass
- Reduced packaging volume
- Meets ENERGY STAR Version 5.0 requirements
- Rated EPEAT Gold4
- Height: 0.95"
- Width: 14.35"
- Depth: 9.82"
- Unit: 5.6 lbs1
- Shipping: 11 lbs
- Manufacturer Warranty(authorized online retailer): 1 Year Parts and Labor with 90 Days Phone Support
- Actual weight varies by configuration and manufacturing process.
- Wireless Internet access requires a base station or other wireless access point and Internet access; fees may apply. Some ISPs are not currently compatible with AirPort.
- PVC-free AC power cord is available in the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Colombia, El Salvador, Guatemala, Panama, Peru, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, and Venezuela.
- MacBook Pro achieved a Gold rating from EPEAT in the U.S., Canada, France, Germany, and the UK.
- Memory available to Mac OS X may vary depending on graphics needs. Minimum graphics memory usage is 384MB.
- 1GB=1 billion bytes; actual formatted capacity less.
- Wireless web testing conducted by Apple in February 2011 using preproduction 2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7–based 15-inch MacBook Pro units. The wireless web test measures battery life by wirelessly browsing 25 popular websites with display brightness set to 50%. Battery life varies by use and configuration.