Panasonic 14.1 Megapixel Black Digital Camera, Model DMCS3K
The 14.1-megapixel LUMIX S3 features a new design, with a distinct rounded shape that fits comfortably in the palm of the hand, to differentiate the models from the rest of the LUMIX line. With a 28mm* wide-angle 4x optical zoom lens, these LUMIX digital cameras are extremely versatile, helping consumers get superb shots both far and wide.
- Venus Engine VI
The image-processing engine, Venus Engine VI, uses advanced signal processing to give you beautiful images. Multi-task signal processing is employed for all images to enable high-speed, high-performance shooting. Venus Engine VI also effectively raises the precision of various functions, such as MEGA O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer) and Intelligent ISO Control. Along with its extremely high performance, Venus Engine VI reduces power consumption thanks to a number of energy efficiency improvements.
- iA (Intelligent Auto) Mode
When you don't know which mode will give you the best shooting results, or when a sudden photo opportunity pops up and you don't have time to change any settings, simply choose the iA (Intelligent Auto) Mode and let the camera do it all for you. Just choose the iA Mode, aim at your subject, and shoot. Four detection and correction functions are simultaneously activated to optimize the settings, so you get stunning photos every time.
- Mega O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer) Shake Detection
The MEGA O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer)* in the DMC-S3 compensates for the blurring caused by hand-shake. Using built-in gyrosensors to detect even slight camera movement caused by handshake, the camera compensates for the shake so you get clear, sharp photos. The MEGA O.I.S. lets you shoot in dimly lit rooms or evening illumination to preserve the mood, and works for macro shots and zoom shots, which are especially susceptible to hand-shake. In short, it lets anybody take beautiful, blur-free shots with ease.
- Intelligent Scene Selector Scene Detection
When the camera is in iA Mode, the Intelligent Scene Selector automatically sets the Scene Mode to Scenery, Portrait, Macro, Night Portrait*1, Night Scenery or Sunset. The camera judges it from the various detection results such as focusing and brightness level of the circumstance*2. You are free from adjusting settings every time the scene changes when taking images with these frequently used Scene Modes to get beautiful results.*1 In iA Mode, Night Portrait is not identified when the flash is turned off.
*2 With some subject and shooting conditions, it is just not possible to judge the best shooting details. When this happens, it is recommended that you shoot with the Scene Mode that best suits your purpose.
- Intelligent ISO Control Motion Detection
The Intelligent ISO Control function* in the DMC-S3 made possible by the Venus Engine VI detects subject movement and automatically adjusts the ISO setting and shutter speed to best suit the movement and light conditions. When it detects subject motion, it automatically raises the ISO setting and increases the shutter speed to prevent motion blur. On the other hand, when the subject is still and no movement is detected, it takes beautiful natural photos with a low ISO setting. The Intelligent ISO Control gives you stunning images with ease because there is no need for complicated settings.
- Face Detection AF/AE
The Face Detection AF/AE function*1 detects faces and automatically optimizes the focus and exposure settings. It prevents the blurry faces that happen when the camera focuses on something in front of or behind the subject, and keeps faces from appearing dark when shooting indoors or against the light source. It detects up to 15 faces at a time, making it extremely convenient for group photos. Once the camera detects a face, Face Tracking follows it even when the subject moves around. Plus, the system keeps detection on if a face turns sideways to the camera. *1 Face Detection function is automatically turned on in iA Mode and can be turned on or off in Normal Picture Mode or some Scene Modes.
- LUMIX Image Uploader
The DMC-S3 gives you a new form of communication by letting you share your photos and movies. All you have to do is checkmark the photos and movies you want to share and connect the camera or SD/SDHC/SDXC Memory Card to a computer. Uploading automatically starts by simply following the guidance. Facebook can be used for photos and YouTube for movies. You can join these social networking services without having to install any special software. It's easy to share photos and movies on the spot, which means that your friends don't have to wait for you to come back home to see them.
- Large, 2.7-inch, 230,000 - LCD
The DMC-S3 large 2.7-inch LCD features high 230,000-dot resolution LCD. The big screen reflects fine details, making it easy to check the focus before shooting. It also serves as a small photo and video viewer, allowing the user and friends to enjoy viewing the still and motion images together.
- Built-in Memory 70MB
The DMC-S3's built-in memory holds up to approx. 70MB of image data.
- Camera Effective Pixels: 14.1 Megapixels
- Sensor Size / Total Pixels / Filter: 1/2.33-inch / 14.5 Total Megapixels / Primary Color Filter
- Aperture: F3.1 - F6.5 / Multistage Iris Diaphragm (F3.1 - 9.0 (W) / F6.5 - 20.0 (T))
- Optical Zoom: 4x
- Focal Length: f=5.0-20.0mm (28-112mm in 35mm equiv.)
- Extra Optical Zoom (EZ): 4.7x (4:3 / 10M), 6.8x (4:3 / 5M), 8.4x(4:3 / under 3M)
- Lens: LUMIX DC VARIO, 6 elements in 5 groups, (3 Aspherical Lenses / 6 Aspherical surfaces)
- Optical Image Stabilizer: MEGA O.I.S. (Off / On)
- Digital Zoom: 4x
( Max. 16.0 x combined with Optical Zoom without Extra Optical Zoom )
(Max. 33.8 x combined with Extra Optical Zoom)
- Focusing Area: Normal / Intelligent AUTO / Motion Picture : Wide 5 cm - infinity / Tele 100cm - infinity
- Focus Range Display: Yes
- AF Metering: Face / 11 pt / 1pt
- Shutter Speed: approx. 8 - 1/1600 sec
- Focus: Quick AF (Always On)
- AF Assist Lamp:Yes
- ISO Sensitivity: I.ISO / 100 / 200 / 400 / 800 / 1600 High Sensitivity mode (ISO 1600-6400)
- White Balance: Auto / Daylight / Cloudy / Shade / Incandescent / White Set
(Selectable at Portrait, Soft Skin, Self-Portrait, Sports, Baby, High Sensitivity)
- Exposure: Program AE
- Exposure Compensation: 1/3 EV Step, ± 2 EV
- Backlight Compensation: Yes (only in Intelligent AUTO mode)
- Light Metering: Intelligent Multiple
- Face Detection: Photo
- Still Image Scene Mode: Portrait, Soft Skin, Self-Portrait, Scenery, Panorama Assist, Sports, Night Portrait, Night Scenery, Food, Party, Baby, Sunset, High Sensitivity, Fireworks, Beach, Snow
- Shutter Interval: approx. 0.9 sec
- Self Timer: 2sec / 10sec
- Auto Review: Yes (On/Off)
- 4:3 Aspect Ratio (Still Image): 4320x3240(14M) / 3648x2736(10M EZ) / 2560x1920(5M EZ) / 2048X1536(3M EZ) / 640X480(0.3M EZ)
- 3:2 Aspect Ratio (Still Image): 4320 x 2880 (12.5M)
- 16:9 Aspect Ratio (Still Image): 4320 x 2432 (10.5M)
- Motion Picture Recording 4:3: VGA: 640 x 480 pixels, 30fps (Motion JPEG)
QVGA: 320 x 240 pixels, 30 fps (Motion JPEG)
- Motion Picture Recording 16:9: 1280x720 pixels, 30fps (Motion JPEG)
- Aspect Ratio: 4:3 / 3:2 / 16:9
- Unlimited Consecutive Shooting: 2.0 frames/sec
- Scene Mode Help Screen: Yes
- LCD Monitor: 2.7"(6.7cm) TFT Screen LCD Display (230K dots)
Field of View : approx. 100%
- Playback Mode: Normal Playback, Slideshow, Filtering Playback(Category Playback), Calendar Playback
- OSD Language: English, Spanish
- Recording Media: Built-in Memory, SD Memory Card, SDHC Memory Card, SDXC Memory Card
- Interface: AV Output (NTSC), USB2.0 High speed
- Power: Li-ion Battery Pack (3.6V, Minimum: 660mAh) (Included)
- Battery Life: Approx. 250 pictures (CIPA Standard)
- Built-in-Flash: Auto, Auto/Red-eye Reduction, Slow Sync./Red-eye Reduction, Forced On, Forced Off, 0.4 - 3.3m (Wide/I.ISO), 1.0 - 1.6m (Tele/I.ISO)
- Focus Icon Select: Yes
- Orientation Detector: Yes
- Thumbnails/Zoomed Playback: 12,30-thumbnails / Max 16x
- Slideshow Mode:
- All / Category / Favorites
- BGM Effect (Natural / Slow / Swing / Urban / OFF)
- Delete Image: Single / Multi / All / All except Favorites
- Resize/Trim/Aspect Conv./Leveling: Yes / No / No / No
- PictBridge Support: Single / Multi / All / Favorites
- Intelligent ISO Control: Photo
- Intelligent Scene Selector: Photo (Portrait, Scenery, Night Portrait, Night Scenery, Sunset, Macro)
- File Format:
- Still Image: JPEG(DCF/Exif2.3)
- Motion picture: QuickTime Motion JPEG
- Color Mode / Color Effect: Standard, Vivid, Natural, Black & White, Sepia, Cool, Warm
- Copy / Title Edit / Text Stamp: Yes / No / Yes (only date stamp)
- Digital Red Eye Correction (Red-Eye Removal): Photo
- Mode Switch: [Playback] button
- Composition Guide line: Yes (1 pattern)
- Easy Zoom / Zoom Resume: No / No
- Thumbnails / Zoomed Playback: 12,30-thumbnails / Max 16x
- Calendar Display / Dual-Image Playback: Yes / No
- Set Favorites / Rotate Image: Yes / No
- DPOF Print Setting / Set Protection: No / Yes
- Travel Date / World Time: No / Yes
- Built-in-Memory: approx. 70MB
- Microphone / Speaker: Mono / Yes
- Optical Image Stabilizer: Photo / Movie
- Recording mode (Mode Dial / Mode Button): Intelligent Auto, Normal Picture, SCN, Motion Picture
- Playback Motion Picture: Yes
- LUMIX Image Uploader: Yes
- Resize / Cropping / Aspect Conv. / Leveling: Yes / No / No / No
- PHOTOfunSTUDIO 6.0
- Adobe Reader
- Battery Charger
- Battery Pack
- USB Cable
- Hand Strap
- Width: 3.89"
- Height: 2.31"
- Depth: 0.82"
- Unit: 0.93 lbs.
- Shipping: 1 lb.
- Manufacturer Warranty (authorized online retailer): One Year Parts And Labor