Sony a37 Black DSLR Camera With 18-55mm Lens, Model SLTA37K
Flex your photographic prowess and capture the moment perfectly with Sony's exclusive Translucent Mirror Technology DSLR. Experience superior performance whether you're shooting HD movie masterpieces or composing crystal clear still images. Tele-zoom High Speed Shooting of up to 7 frames per second works with continuous auto focus that gets visibly faster in Live View and HD Movie modes.
- Translucent Mirror Technology™
- ISO 16000 sensitivity
- 1080/60i/24p Full AVCHD™ video
- Up to 7 fps
- Auto Portrait Framing
- Tru-finder™ electronic viewfinder
- 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 zoom lens
Translucent Mirror Technology
Conventional DSLRs can shoot. Or they can focus with the speed and precision of Phase Detection AF. They cannot do both at once. The SLT-A37 utilizes Translucent Mirror Technology that directs light to both the image sensor and the Phase Detection AF sensor simultaneously.
16.1 Megapixel Resolution
You get incredible detail and gorgeous enlargements. Thanks to the 16.1 megapixel APS-C sensor size and Sony Exmor® APS HD CMOS technology, the camera achieves high resolution with no penalty in low-light sensitivity or sensor noise.
ISO 16000 Sensitivity
Incredibly clear low-light pictures without sacrificing detail, made possible by the low-noise Exmor® APS HD CMOS image sensor and refined BIONZ® image processor.
Full HD 1080/60i/24p Movies
This is one of the very few DSLRs with super smooth 1080/60i/24p Full HD recording capability. Records in your choice of 1080/60i or 24p AVCHD™ format or in PC-friendly 1080/30p MP4 format.
Tele Zoom High Speed Shooting
The translucent mirror makes it far easier to capture the decisive soccer kick or your baby at her absolute cutest. The Tele Zoom High Speed shooting mode shoots up to 7 fps at 8.4 MP while maintaining continuous auto focus and auto exposure.
Auto Portrait Framing
Simply photograph a person and Auto Portrait Framing will save an additional, optimally framed image in portrait or landscape orientation. Combining Face Detection and By Pixel Super Resolution technologies with rule of thirds, Auto Portrait Framing provides beautifully composed and appealingly balanced full resolution portraits.
Eye-Level Electronic Viewfinder
The eye-level finder is one of the reasons people love DSLRs. But that finder goes dark whenever you shoot HD Movies. The Sony® SLT-A37 enables you to shoot movies with the added stability you get holding the camera up to your face and using the eye-level finder for framing a scene and focus. The Tru-finder™ Electronic Viewfinder (EVF) is super bright, easy to see with an ultra-sharp 1.1x magnification factor. For those who require a longer eye-point (eyeglass wearers), it also provides a function for adjusting the finder magnification ratio.
Tilting 2.7" 230K LCD Dot Screen
Tilt LCD up 135° or down 55° to frame high- and low-angle shots that would otherwise be hit-or-miss.
Clear Image Zoom
Utilizing Sony’s exclusive By Pixel Super Resolution Technology, Clear Image Zoom increases the effective focal length of your lens up to 2x by digitally magnifying the center of your image with nearly imperceptible degradation that provides greater shooting flexibility.
Sony® Exmor® technology
Conventional image sensors use only a handful of analog-to-digital (A/D) converters, which can slow you down. The Exmor® sensor provides more than 4,000 column-parallel A/D converters. This helps enable continuous shooting at up to 7 frames per second.
BIONZ® image processor
The brains of the camera is a refined version of Sony's BIONZ® image processor. Its chroma noise reduction delivers high-resolution, low-noise photos even at ISO 16000 sensitivity. Also enables up to 5.5 fps continuous shooting at full resolution, Sweep Panorama™ mode and more.
Superior Auto Mode
Get cleaner, more dynamic pictures and fewer missed shots. Unifies and simplifies Sony intelligent technologies, the camera automatically recognizes the correct scene mode, then quickly shoots and combines up to six shots to produce images with greater clarity, optimum dynamic range using Auto HDR technology and lower image noise using 3 shots layering technology.
Compact, lightweight design
Eliminating the moving mirror also reduces the camera’s size and weight. It’s not just remarkably advanced; it’s notably small and light.
SteadyShot® INSIDE™ stabilization
Image stabilization reduces blur by compensating for camera shake. Typical DSLR systems build image stabilization into selected lenses only. SteadyShot INSIDE™ image stabilization is built into the camera body itself. You'll reduce blur with every a-mount lens, including macro and wide-aperture standard zoom lenses.
Live View in LCD or EVF
You can use both the LCD monitor and Electronic Viewfinder for composing shots. Both provide a what-you-see-is-what-you-get preview of white balance, focus, depth of field, exposure and 100% framing accuracy, plus informative on-screen displays.
Built-in Auto Pop-Up Flash
To help you shoot more effectively, the built-in Guide Number 10 flash automatically pops up and fires as needed when the camera is set to certain scene selection modes. The built-in flash can also trigger a wireless accessory flash (sold separately). The integrated hot shoe enables you to expand your lighting options with a range of accessory flashes (sold separately).
Phase Detection Auto Focus
While Contrast Detection AF often hunts for correct focus, Phase Detection AF knows exactly where correct focus is, and goes straight for it. The Sony® SLT-A37 provides Phase Detection AF when capturing HD movies as well as during still image capture, either using the viewfinder or Live View on the LCD.
Anti-Dust Technology helps keep the CMOS sensor clean, resulting in consistently clear pictures. First a static-free coating on the sensor's low-pass filter helps repel dust. Then vibration automatically dislodges dust from the sensor.
15-point Auto Focus
To maximize the value of Translucent Mirror Technology, Sony incorporates Phase Detection AF of great sophistication. Three cross sensors maximize precision.
Main Sensor Live View with Quick AF
Main Sensor Live View with Quick AF combines the optimum focus of Phase Detection with high quality Live View images right from the main sensor. This is made possible by Sony® Translucent Mirror Technology.
Face Detection/Registration technology
The camera can automatically detect and register up to eight individual faces and adjust focus, exposure, white balance and flash to help deliver crisp, properly lit images of family and friends. Can prioritize children or adults.
High Speed AF for Full HD Movie Capture
When most DSLRs shoot video, their Contrast AF is slow and visibly “hunts” for focus. The High Speed AF Full HD Movie retains the same fast, precise Phase Detection you enjoy for still images.1 It’s a decisive advantage for tracking fast-moving subjects and a major benefit of Translucent Mirror Technology.
Powerful creative control over movies
Full manual operation gives you the freedom and power to realize your creative vision when capturing movies. Using manual focus and P/A/S/M modes (Program, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority and Manual), you can flexibly adjust background blur and manually control exposure to achieve desired brightness and dynamism. On-screen prompts provide assistance to make full manual operation quick, easy and comfortable.
Experience incredible low-light shooting without a flash. The camera captures six images in a fraction of a second. Combining the data from all six, it creates a single image with a reduction in noise equivalent to two additional steps of ISO sensitivity. Sensitivity selectable up to ISO 25600. (Recommended for still subjects.)
Smile Shutter Technology
Captures a smile the moment it happens. Simply select the Smile Shutter™ mode and the camera takes the picture automatically. You can prioritize children or adults and adjust the smile sensitivity.
Picture Effect mode
There are 11 types (15 variations) of picture effects to choose from: Posterization (Color), Posterization (B/W), Pop Color, Retro Photo, Partial Color (R), Partial Color (G), Partial Color (B), Partial Color (Y), High Contrast Monochrome, Toy Camera, Soft High-key , Soft Focus, HDR Painting, Rich-tone Mono, Miniature. Each is unique and each give you a new and exciting way to make your images and videos pop.
Sweep Panorama Mode
Capture expansive landscapes automatically. Press the shutter and sweep vertically or horizontally. The camera does the rest, continuously shooting images and stitching them together.
Get cleaner and sharper nighttime pictures—beyond the capability of traditional cameras—without using flash or a tripod. The camera captures six images in a fraction of a second. Combining the data with separate algorithms for still and moving parts of the picture reduces blur, minimizes noise and enables extraordinary detail.
Six Creative Style settings
Control how the camera processes your images with six finishing styles: Standard, Vivid, B&W, Sunset, Portrait and Landscape. You can even fine-tune contrast, saturation, and sharpness to your personal taste.
3D Sweep Panorama Mode
Capture vast scenic vistas and 16:9 shots in spectacular 3D. As you sweep across the panorama, the camera records separate right-eye and left-eye images that make landscapes come alive on your 3D television. Records both JPEG and MPO file formats.
Auto HDR built into camera
Captures more scene dynamic range than a single exposure can handle—and more range than photo film. Combines the best highlight detail from one shot, the best mid-tones from a second and the best shadow detail from a third for one incredible shot (up to 6 EV stops). Captures in a split second. (Recommended for still subjects.)
Versatile on-screen displays
Informative displays in the LCD monitor and electronic viewfinder include digital level gauge, graphic display of exposure settings.
1200-Zone Exposure Metering
Reads exposure directly from the main image sensor. Choice of Multi, Center and Spot metering accommodates a full range of shooting situations.
Eight Scene Selection Modes
These help you get the shot by optimizing the camera for specific shooting situations. Select from Portrait, Sports Action, Macro, Landscape, Sunset, Night View, Night Portrait and Handheld Twilight Shot modes.
HDMI® output for HD viewing
Enjoy HD movies and stunning still images on a compatible HDTV. The camera includes an HDMI® output. In addition, the BRAVIA® Sync system works with compatible Sony® BRAVIA HDTVs enabling you to control camera playback using the television's remote.
Clarifies the relationship between aperture and shutter speed, as well as the effect each has on photographic results.
RAW image capture
The SLT-A37 saves pictures as compact JPEG files and/or ultra-high quality RAW files. RAW files save images prior to de-mosaicing, white balance, sharpness and color enhancement. This retains maximum latitude for enhancing the image on your PC.
Slot for two media types
For cost-effective, convenient storage and sharing of your images, the camera accepts Memory Stick PRO Duo™/Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo™ and SD/SDHC/SDXC media (Class 4 or higher recommended). (Memory card is required. All are sold separately.)
Powerful supplied software
To help you refine and manage your images and video, the camera is supplied with Image Data Converter (ver 4.0) RAW development software software and Play Memories Home™ image organization software.
Index and Slide Show Display
Quickly review your photos using 6- or 12-frame index views, or as an automatic slide show with fade-in/fade-out effect.
Up to 500 Shots of battery life
Take up to 500 shots on a single charge with Sony® Stamina™ battery power. Sony's InfoLITHIUM® battery system enables you to see the percent of power remaining, so you can keep shooting in confidence.
- Lens Compatibility: Sony A-mount lens
- Lens Mount: Sony A-mount
- Camera Type: Sony A-mount interchangeable lens digital camera
- Imaging Sensor: Exmor™ APS HD CMOS sensor (23.4 X 15.6mm)
- Processor: BIONZ™ image processor
- Anti Dust: Charge protection coating on Low-Pass Filter and Image Sensor-Shift mechanism
- Pixel Gross: Approx. 16.5 megapixels
- Effective Picture Resolution: Approx. 16.1 megapixels
- Focal Length Conversion Factor: 1.5x
- Color Filter System: RGB primary color filters
- Media Type: Memory Stick PRO Duo™, Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo™, SD memory card, SDHC memory card, SDXC memory card
- Color Space: sRGB, AdobeRGB
- Still Image Mode: JPEG (Standard, Fine), RAW, RAW+JPEG
- Still Image Size 16:9: L: 4912 x 2760 (14M), M: 3568 x 2000 (7.1M), S: 2448 x 1376 (3.4M)
- Still Image Size 3:2: L: 4912 x 3264 (16M), M: 3568 x 2368 (8.4M), S: 2448 x 1624 (4M)
- Panorama Still Image Size
- Horizontal Wide: 12,416 x 1,856 (23M)
- Horizontal Std.: 8,192 x 1,856 (15M)
- Vertical Wide: 2,160 x 5,536 (12M)
- Vertical Std.: 2,160 x 3,872 (8.4M)
- 3D Sweep Panorama: Horizontal Wide: 7152 X 1080 (7.7M)
- Horizontal Std.: 4912 X 1080 (5.3M)
- 16:9: 1920 X 1080 (2.1M)
- Video Format: AVCHD Ver. 2.0/MP4 compliant / MPEG-4 AVC (H.264)
- Video Mode:
- AVCHD: 1920 x 1080/ 60i (60i/24Mbps/ FX, 60i/17Mbps/ FH, 24p/24Mbps/ FX, 24p/17Mbps/ FH)
- MP4 HD: 1440 x 1080/ 30p (29.97 Progressive) Approx. 12Mbps (Average bit-rate)
- MP4 VGA: 640 x 480/ 30p (29.97 Progressive) Approx. 3Mbps (Average bit-rate)
- Video Resolution: 1920x1080/60i (59.94i, 29.97p sensor output)
- Video Signal: NTSC color, EIA standards
- Audio Format: Dolby Digital (AC-3) / MPEG-4 AAC-LC, 2ch
- Microphone/Speaker: Built-in Stereo Microphone
- Lens Mount Type: Sony A-mount
- Lens Groups-Elements: 8 elements, 7 groups
- Type: 0.46" SVGA Xtra Fine EVF (Electronic viewfinder) (1,440,000 pixels)
- Diopter Adjustment: -4.0 to +4.0m-1
- Field of View: 100%
- Magnification: 0.073x (APS-C)(when attached)
- LCD Type: 2.7” TFT Clear Photo LCD (230,400 pixels)
- Angle Adjustment: Tilt angle: Up approx. 135 degrees, down 55 degrees
- Brightness Control: Auto/Manual (5 steps between -2 and +2)/Sunny Weather
- Coverage: 100%
- Live View: Continuous Live View (LCD/EVF Auto, selectable)
- Real-time image adjustment display: Reflects: exposure compensation, white balance, creative style
- Histogram: Yes (On/off)
- Peaking: Yes (Level: High/Mid/Low/Off, Color: White/Red/Yellow)
- Grid Display: Yes (On/off)
- Customization: Grid, Histogram display, Grid Line, Magnified display for playback
- Focus System: TTL phase detection AF (CCD line sensors)
- Focus Points: 15 points (3 points cross type)
- AF Modes: Single-shot AF(AF-S), Continuous AF(AF-C), Auto selectable(AF-A)
- Focus Area: Wide (auto, 15 points), Zone, Spot, Local (15 local areas selectable)
- Focus Sensitivity: -2 EV to +17 EV (at ISO100 equivalent with F1.4 lens attached)
- Focus Features: Tracking Focus, Predictive control (AF-A,AF-C), Focus lock, Eye-start AF
- AF Illuminator: Built-in flash, Range: approx. 3' - 15' (1m-5m)
- Metering: Advanced 1200-zone evaluative metering
- Metering Modes: Multi-segment, Center-weighted, Spot
- Metering Sensitivity: -2EV to 17EV (at ISO 100 equivalent w/ f/1.4 lens)
- Exposure Compensation: ±2.0 EV (in 0.3 EV steps)
- Exposure Settings: iAUTO, Flash Off, Superior Auto, Scene Selection, Sweep Panorama, 3D Sweep Panorama, Tele-zoom Continuous Advance Priority AE, Movie, Programmed AE (P), Aperture priority (A), Shutter-speed priority (S), Manual (M)
- Scene Mode(s): Portrait, Landscape, Macro, Sports Action, Sunset, Night Portrait, Night View, Hand-held Twilight
- Picture Effect(s): 11 modes (15 effects): Posterization (Color, B/W), Pop Color, Retro Photo, Partial Color (R,G,B,Y), High Contrast Monochrome, Toy Camera, Soft High-key, Soft Focus, HDR Painting, Rich-tone Monochrome, Miniature
- D-Range Optimizer: Off, Dynamic Range Optimizer (Auto/Level), Auto High Dynamic Range (Off, Auto Exposure Difference, Exposure difference Level (1-6EV, 1.0EV step))
- Auto Exposure Lock: Available with AE lock button. AE is also locked when focus is locked in multi-segment metering mode.
- Color Temperature: 2500 - 9900 k with 15-step Magenta / Green compensation
- Creative Style: Standard, Vivid, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, B/W (Contrast, Saturation, Sharpness adjustable in +/-3 steps)
- ISO: Auto: 100 - 3200; Selectable: 100 - 16000; Multi Frame NR (up to ISO 25600)
- Noise Reduction: Long exp. NR: (On/Off, available of shutter speeds longer than 1 sec.) High ISO NR: (High/Normal/Low) Multi Frame NR: (Auto/ISO100-25600)
- White Balance Mode: Auto WB, Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Incandescent, Fluorescent (Warm white/Cool white/Day white/Daylight), Flash, C. Temp 2500 to 9900K, C Filter G7 to M7, 15-step, Custom, AWB micro adjustment
- Burst Buffer: [Tele-zoom Cont. Adv. Priority AE] Fine: 17 images/Std: 18 images [Cont.] Fine: 15 images/Std: 16 images/RAW & JPG: 6 images/RAW: 7 images
- Continuous Shooting Speed: Tele-zoom Cont. Adv. Priority AE: Up to 7 fps; Cont. shooting Hi 5.5 fps/ Lo 2.5 fps (Speed may vary depending on shooting conditions and memory card in use)
- Drive Mode: Single-shot, Continuous shooting (Hi/Lo selectable), Self-timer (10/2 sec delay selectable), Bracketing, White Balance Bracketing
- Flash Sync Speed: 1/160 seconds
- Self-timer: 2-sec. or 10-sec. delay
- Shutter Speeds: 1/4000 to 30 seconds, bulb
- Shutter Type: Electronically-controlled, vertical-traverse, focal-plane
- Flash Bracketing: 3 exposures in 0.3/0.7 EV steps
- Flash Compensation: +/-2EV in 0.3EV steps
- Flash Coverage: 18mm (focal-length printed on the lens body)
- Flash Metering System: ADI, Pre-flash TTL
- Flash Modes: Auto, Fill-flash, Slow Sync., Rear Sync., Hi-speed sync., Red-eye reduction (on/off selectable for Autoflash and fill-flash mode), Wireless
- Flash Type: Built-in, Pop-up Auto
- Guide Number: 10 (in meters at ISO100)
- Face Detection: Off, Auto, Child Priority, Adult Priority (up to 8 faces detectable)
- Smile Shutter™ technology: Yes - Off, Slight, Normal, Big
- Advanced User Interface: Easy-to-understand Graphic Display and on-screen Help Guide User-friendly function menu
- Anti Motion Blur: 6-image layering
- Auto High Dynamic Range: Yes, (Off/On, Auto Exposure Difference, Exposure difference Level (1-6 EV at 1.0 EV step)
- Photo Creativity: Yes (via iAuto Mode)
- Shooting Tips: 80 expert advice shooting tips
- Sweep Panorama: Yes (2D/3D)
- Tracking Focus: Yes
- Image Stabilization: SteadyShot INSIDE? in-body image stabilization
- Microphone Input: Yes
- Accessory Shoe: Yes (Alpha)
- BRAVIA® Sync™: Yes, via HDMI with compatible BRAVIA HDTV
- HD Output: HDMI® (TypeC mini)
- Memory Card Slot: Dual memory card slot: Memory Stick PRO Duo™/Pro-HG Duo™ media - SD, SDHC and SDXC memory card
- PhotoTV HD: Yes, with BRAVIA Sync™ enabled HDTV and HDMI cable
- USB Port(s): USB2.0 Hi-speed (mass-storage, PTP)
- Battery Type: InfoLITHIUM® NP-FW50 (7.2V)
- Number of Still Images: Approx. 450 images with viewfinder, 500 images with LCD monitor (CIPA standard)
- Supplied Software: PlayMemories Home, Image Data Converter SR 3.2 Image Data Lightbox SR 2.2
- Operating System Compatibility: Windows XP SP3 (64-bit and Starter Editions are not supported,Windows Image Mastering API(IMAPI)Ver.2.0 or later is required to use the function for creating discs.) Windows Vista SP2 (Starter Edition is not supported) Windows 7; Mac OS X(v10.4-?10.6) (Image Data Converter & Image Data Lightbox only, PMB is not Mac compatible)
- Height: 3-5/8"
- Width: 4-7/8"
- Depth: 3-1/3"
- Unit: 1.12 lbs (with battery & media)
- Shipping: 3 lbs
- Manufacturer Warranty (authorized online retailer): Limited One Year Parts
- Extended Service Warranty Available: Click the warranty tab above