Sony a77 Black DSLR Camera With 18-135mm Lens, Model SLTA77VM
Never miss another shot. Whether you're shooting a sequence of your preschooler's somersault, or the game-changing instant when ball meets bat, the á77 flawlessly captures fast action and fleeting moments with up to 12 fps continuous shooting—all at full 24.3-megapixel resolution with uninterrupted auto focus. And packed with cutting-edge technologies—like the world's first OLED electronic viewfinder2 and Sony's award-winning Translucent Mirror Technology—it's easier than ever to capture professional-grade photos that burst with unimaginable richness, clarity and detail.
- Translucent Mirror Technology™
- Up to 12 fps
- OLED electronic viewfinder
- Full HD video
- Live View with Phase Detection
- 19-point auto focus
- 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 zoom lens
2nd Generation Translucent Mirror Design
Other DSLRs can shoot. Or they can focus with the speed and precision of Phase Detection AF. They cannot do both at once. Sony changes all that with the award-winning Translucent Mirror Technology system. It directs light to both the image sensor and the Phase Detection AF sensor simultaneously.
24.3 MP; best-in-class resolution
You get incredible detail and gorgeous enlargements thanks to a 24.3 megapixel sensor. It’s the highest resolution among APS-C DSLRs, as of August 2011.
World's fastest up to 12 fps continuous
The translucent mirror makes it far easier to capture the decisive soccer kick or your baby at her absolute cutest. Shoots up to 12 frames per second at full-resolution 24.3 megapixels with continuous auto focus (AE locked after first frame). This is the world’s fastest shooting speed for interchangeable lens APS-C cameras, as of August, 2011.
World’s first OLED viewfinder
There’s never been anything quite like the Tru-Finder™ OLED electronic viewfinder. For size, speed and brightness even after sunset, this is a gem. It begins with 2359K dots for amazing resolution and high contrast ratio for incredible depth. OLED reduces motion blur to a bare minimum. You can also see the results of camera adjustments in real time with superb color and detail.
HD Movies at 60p, 60i, or 24p
Capture spectacular HD Movies. This is the world’s first DSLR to offer a choice of super-smooth 60p, standard 60i or cinematic 24p, all at Full HD 1920x1080 resolution. AVCHD™ codec delivers stunning picture quality. MP4 codec offers smaller files for easier upload to the web.
HD movies with full manual control
Now you don’t need to surrender control when you shoot HD movies. Enjoy the full expressive potential of Program, Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority or Manual (P/A/S/M) control in HD movie mode.
Full-Time Phase Detection AF
You get fast, accurate auto focus in every mode—even HD Movie and Live View—thanks to Sony’s exclusive Translucent Mirror Technology. While Contrast Detection Auto Focus often hunts for correct focus, Phase Detection AF knows exactly where correct focus is, and goes straight for it.
Full-Time Live View in LCD or EVF
You can use both the LCD monitor and OLED Electronic Viewfinder for composing shots in Live View. Both provide a what-you-see-is-what-you-get preview of white balance, focus, depth of field, exposure and 100% framing accuracy, plus informative on-screen displays.
World's shortest release time lag
Helps ensure that the image you want is the image you get. Once auto focus occurs, release time lag is the delay between fully pressing the shutter release and when the camera actually starts taking the picture. Long lag makes it harder to capture fast-moving objects. The Sony A77 boasts the world’s shortest release time lag at only 0.05 seconds.
Object Tracking AF
Locks onto a specified object and maintains focus even as the subject moves. Unpredictable subjects stay in focus even while zooming. You can concentrate on composition without worrying about focus.
Rugged, magnesium alloy body
The SLT-A77 is built for the real world with a magnesium alloy body that combines high strength with light weight. Ports, doors and controls are also weather-resistant for smooth operation under adverse conditions.
Dual control dials
Perfect for experienced shooters, dual control dials provide direct, hands-on access to two settings at a time.
19-point Auto Focus
To maximize the value of Translucent Mirror Technology, Sony incorporates Phase Detection AF of great sophistication. 19 sensors with 11 cross sensors maximize precision for both vertical and horizontal subjects.
Three-way tilt/swivel LCD Screen
Tilt it up or down to frame high- and low-angle shots that would otherwise be hit-or-miss. Tilt and swivel over the camera for self-portraits. You can even tilt it up and down when you hold the camera in vertical mode! Finally, the monitor folds flush to the camera with the LCD exposed for shooting or protected for travel.
Experience incredible low-light shooting without a flash. The camera captures six images in a fraction of a second. Combining the data from all six, it creates a single image with a reduction in noise equivalent to two additional steps of ISO sensitivity. Sensitivity selectable up to ISO 16000. (Recommended for still subjects.)
Top mounted LCD
In addition to status displays on the LCD monitor and Electronic Viewfinder, Sony offers a top-mounted LCD with exposure information.
Leverages the fast BIONZ® processor to capture six images in a fraction of a second, and then combine the data. The result is one incredible single image that gets a cleaner result in Multi-Frame NR mode or sharper nighttime pictures in Hand-held Twilight mode.
3D Sweep Panorama™ Mode
Capture vast scenic vistas and 16:9 shots in spectacular 3D. As you sweep across the panorama, the camera records separate right-eye and left-eye images that make landscapes come alive on your 3D television1. Records both JPEG and MPO file formats.
Handheld Twilight mode
Get gorgeous shots at night without a tripod. Combines six frames into a single image for smooth, low-noise evening shots. (Recommended for still subjects.)
Sweep Panorama™ Mode
Capture expansive landscapes automatically. Press the shutter, sweep vertically or horizontally. The camera does the rest, continuously shooting images and stitching them together.
Auto HDR built into camera
Captures more scene dynamic range than a single exposure can handle—and more range than photo film. Combines the best highlight detail from one shot, the best mid-tones from a second and the best shadow detail from a third for one incredible shot. (Recommended for still subjects.)
Shot Result Preview
See the results before you take the shot. This preview takes the guesswork out of camera settings by showing the effects of the aperture, shutter and DRO settings on the depth of field, motion and dynamic range.
ISO 16000 Sensitivity
Incredibly clear low-light pictures without sacrificing detail, made possible by the low-noise Exmor™ APS HD CMOS image sensor and refined BIONZ® image processor.
921K dot TruBlack™ LCD screen
Sony's 3.0-inch Xtra Fine LCD™ monitor has 921K dots for superb resolution. The TruBlack™ screen includes a special resin layer to suppress internal reflections, increasing contrast compared to conventional LCDs. Sunny Weather mode boosts visibility even further.
An integrated GPS receiver records the location and time of every shot you take and lets you view your images on a map with compatible computer and Internet applications, so you can remember where you took your favorite shots.
Upgraded BIONZ® image processor
The brain of the camera is a Sony’s BIONZ® image processor substantially upgraded for the demands of 24.3 megapixel photography. Chroma noise reduction delivers high-resolution, low-noise photos even at ISO 16000. Also enables fast processing for up to 10 fps continuous shooting of data-intensive 24.3 MP images, 2D/3D Sweep Panorama™ modes and 6-image layering.
AUTO+ (Advanced Auto) mode
Get cleaner, more dynamic pictures and fewer missed shots. Unifies and simplifies Sony intelligent technologies. The camera automatically recognizes the correct scene mode.
Dynamic Range Optimizer (DRO)
Improves results with backlit subjects and recovers details hidden in shadows. Settings include Auto, Level with a choice of five operating levels and Off.
Main Sensor Quick AF Live View
Combines the fast focus of Phase Detection AF with high quality Live View images right from the main sensor. This is made possible by Sony® Translucent Mirror Technology. You get accurate images and 100% framing on the LCD monitor or eye-level viewfinder.
SteadyShot INSIDE™ Stabilization
Image stabilization reduces blur by compensating for camera shake. Typical DSLR systems build image stabilization into selected lenses only. SteadyShot INSIDE™ image stabilization is built into the camera body itself. You'll reduce blur with every A Mount lens, including macro and wide-aperture standard zoom lenses.
HDMI® output for HD Viewing
Enjoy HD movies and stunning still images on a compatible HDTV. The camera includes an HDMI® output. In addition, the BRAVIA® Sync system works with compatible Sony® BRAVIA HDTVs enabling you to control camera playback using the television's remote.
1200-Zone exposure metering
Reads exposure directly from the main image sensor. Choice of Multi, Center and Spot metering accommodates a full range of shooting situations.
P/A/S/M Exposure Modes
The camera offers a full range of controls from the beginner's AUTO+ mode to P/A/S/M: Program, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority and Manual. On-screen prompts help you refine your skills, build your confidence and exercise greater creative control.
Advanced Anti-Dust Technology
Anti-Dust Technology helps keep the CMOS sensor clean, resulting in consistently clear pictures. First a static-free coating on the sensor's low-pass filter helps repel dust. Then vibration automatically dislodges dust from the sensor.
Sony® Exmor™ Technology
Conventional image sensors use only a handful of analog-to-digital (A/D) converters, which can slow you down. The Exmor™ sensor provides more than 5,600 column-parallel A/D converters. This helps enable continuous shooting at up to 10 frames per second.
Up to 530 Shots of battery life
Take up to 530 shots on a single charge with Sony® Stamina™ battery power. Sony's InfoLITHIUM® battery system enables you to see the percent of power remaining, so you can keep shooting in confidence.
APS-C size HD CMOS image sensor
With 19.5 times the area of the typical camcorder image sensor, APS-C makes the difference between amateur and professional-looking video, delivering an exceptional combination of high resolution, high sensitivity and gorgeous, blurred backgrounds.
Slot for two media types
For cost-effective, convenient storage and sharing of your images, the camera accepts Memory Stick PRO Duo™/Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo™ and SD/SDHC/SDXC media (Class 4 or higher recommended, sold separately).
11 Picture Effect Modes
Discover innovative ways to make your images and videos pop. These include Posterization (Color, B/W), Pop Color, Retro Photo, Partial Color (Red, Green, Blue, Yellow), Soft High-key, High Contrast Monochrome, Toy Camera, Soft Focus, HDR Painting, Rich-tone Monochrome, and Miniature.
Face Detection and Registration
The camera can automatically detect up to eight individual faces and adjust focus, exposure, white balance and flash to help deliver crisp, properly lit images of people. Can prioritize children or adults. Face Registration can remember friends and family members and prioritize them.
Built-in Flash (GN12)
To help you shoot more effectively, the camera includes a built-in flash (Guide Number 12) that can also trigger a wireless accessory flash (sold separately). The integrated hot shoe enables you to expand your lighting options with a range of accessory flashes (sold separately).
- Lens Compatibility: Sony A-mount lens
- Camera Type: Sony A-mount interchangeable lens digital camera
- Imaging Sensor: Exmor™ APS HD CMOS sensor (23.5 X 15.6mm)
- Processor: BIONZ™ image processor
- Anti Dust: Charge protection coating on Low-Pass Filter and electromagnetic vibration mechanism
- Pixel Gross: Approx. 24.7 megapixels
- Effective Picture Resolution: Approx. 24.3 megapixels
- Focal Length Conversion Factor: 1.5x
- Color Filter System: RGB primary color filters
- Media Type: Memory Stick PRO Duo™/Pro-HG Duo™ media; SD, SDHC and SDXC memory card
- Color Space: sRGB, AdobeRGB
- Still Image Mode: JPEG (Standard, Fine, Extra Fine), RAW, RAW+JPEG
- Still Image Size 16:9: L size: 6000 x 3376 (20M) M size: 4240 x 2400 (10M) S size: 3008 x1688 (5.1M)
- Still Image Size 3:2: L size: 6000 x 4000 (24M) M size: 4240 x 2832 (12M) S size: 3008 x 2000 (6M)
- Panorama Still Image Size:
- Horizontal Wide: 12,416 x 1,856 (23M)
- Horizontal Std.: 8,192 x 1,856 (15M)
- Vertical Wide: 2,160 x 5,536 (12M)
- Vertical Std.: 2,160 x 3,872 (8.4M)
- 3D Sweep Panorama: Horizontal Wide: 7152 X 1080 (7.7M)
- Horizontal Std.: 4912 X 1080 (5.3M)
- 16:9: 1920 X 1080 (2.1M)
- Video Format: AVCHD / MP4 (MPEG-4 AVC (H.264))
- Video Mode:
- PS - 1920 x 1080/60p@28Mbps
- FX - 1920 x 1080/60i@24Mbps
- FH - 1920 x 1080/60i@17Mbps
- FX - 1920 x 1080/24p@24Mbps
- FH - 1920 x 1080/24p@17Mbps
- HD - 1440 x 1080/ 30p@12Mbps
- VGA - 640 x 480/ 30p@3Mbps
- Video Signal: NTSC color, EIA standards
- Audio Format: Dolby Digital (AC-3) / MPEG-4 AAC-LC
- Microphone/Speaker: Built-in Stereo Microphone
- Still Image File Format: JPEG (DCF Ver. 2.0, Exif Ver.2.3, MPF Baseline compliant), RAW (Sony ARW 2.3format), 3D MPO (MPF Extended compliant)
- Lens Type: Standard Zoom
- Lens Mount Type: Sony A-mount
- Aperture (Max.): f/3.5 - 6.3
- Aperture (Min.): f/22 - 40
- Focal Length (35mm equivalent): APS: 27-300mm (35mm Equivalent: 18-200mm)
- Filter Diameter: 62mm
- Lens Groups-Elements: 13 groups, 15 elements
- Minimum Focus Distance: 1' 6" (45cm)
- Aperture Blade: 7 blades (Circular aperture)
- Aspheric Elements: 3 aspheric
- Distance Encoder: Yes
- Distance Scale: Yes
- Lens Weight: 14 oz (405g)
- Magnification: x 0.27
- Type: 0.50" XGA OLED EVF (Electronic viewfinder) (2,359k dots)
- Diopter Adjustment: -4.0m-1 to +3.0m-1
- Field of View: 100%
- Magnification: 1.09x (with 50mm lens at infinity, -1m-1 )
- LCD Type: 3.0” TFT Xtra Fine™ LCD (921,600 pixels) w/TruBlack™ technology
- Angle Adjustment
- Tilt angle: Up: 150 degrees
- Down: Approx. 180 degrees
- Rotation angle:180 degrees clockwise and 90 degrees counterclockwise.
- Brightness Control: Auto, Manual (5 steps between -2 to +2)
- Coverage: 100%
- Live View: Continuous Live View (LCD/EVF Auto, selectable)
- Real-time image adjustment display: Yes(On/Off)
- Histogram: Yes (On/off)
- Grid Display: Yes (Rule of thirds, 4x6 Square, Diagonal & 4x6 Square Grids, Off)
- Customization: Grid, Histogram display, Digital Level Gauge, Grid Line, Magnified display for playback
- Focus System: TTL phase detection AF (CCD line sensors)
- Focus Points: 19 points (11 points cross type)
- AF Modes: Single-shot AF(AF-S), Continuous AF(AF-C), Automatic AF(AF-A) selectable, Direct Manual Focus (DMF), Manual Focus
- Focus Area: Wide (auto,19 points)/Zone/Spot/Local selectable
- Focus Sensitivity: EV -1 to 18 EV (at ISO100 equivalent, with F2.8 lens attached)
- Focus Features: Predictive control(AF-A, AF-C), Focus Lock, Eye-start AF
- AF Illuminator: Built-in LED, Range: approx. 3' - 21' (1m-7m)
- Metering: Advanced 1200-zone evaluative metering
- Metering Modes: Multi-segment, Center-weighted, Spot
- Metering Sensitivity: -2EV to 17EV (at ISO 100 equivalent w/ f/1.4 lens)
- Exposure Compensation: +/-5.0 EV(1/3EV,1/2EV steps selectable)
- Exposure Settings: AUTO,AUTO Advanced (AUTO+), Scene Selection (SCN), Sweep Panorama, 3D Sweep Panorama (3D), Continuous Advance Priority AE (12fps), Movie, Programmed AE (P), Aperture priority (A), Shutter-speed priority (S), Manual (M)
- Scene Mode(s): Portrait, Landscape, Macro, Sports action, Sunset, Night portrait, Night View, Handheld Twilight
- Picture Effect(s): 11 types (15 variations): Posterization (Color, B/W), Pop Color, Retro Photo, Partial Color (R,G,B,Y), High Contrast Monochrome, Toy Camera, Soft High-key, Soft Focus, HDR Painting, Rich-tone Monochrome, Miniature
- D-Range Optimizer: Yes: (Auto, Level, Off)
- Auto Exposure Lock: Yes (AE Lock button)
- Color Temperature: 2500 - 9900 k with 15-step each Magenta/Green compensation (G7 to M7), Amber/Blue (A7 to B7)
- Creative Style: Standard, Vivid, Neutral, Clear, Deep, Light, Portrait , Landscape, Sunset, Night Scene, Autumn leaves, Black & White, Sepia (Contrast (-3 to +3steps), Saturation(-3 to +3steps), Sharpness(-3 to +3steps))
- Exposure Bracketing: Bracket: Cont./Bracket: Single, 3/5 frames selectable
- ISO: Auto (ISO 100-12800, selectable the lower limit and the upper limit ); Selectable ISO100 - 16000 equivalent (ISO numbers up from ISO50 can be set as expanded ISO range)
- Noise Reduction: Long Exposure NR: (On/Off, available at shutter speeds longer than 1 second) High ISO NR: (High/Normal/Low)
- White Balance Mode: Auto,Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Incandescent, Fluorescent (Warm White, Cool White, Day White, Daylight) , Flash, Setting the color temperature, Color Filter, Custom
- Burst Buffer: JPEG Standard (17 shots) JPEG Fine (17 shots) JPEG Extra Fine (13 shots) RAW (13 shots) RAW+JPEG (11 shots)
- Continuous Shooting Speed: Continuous (Hi: up to 8fps,Low: up to 3fps) Continuous Priority AE (12fps)
- Drive Mode: Single-shot, Continuous shooting (Hi/Lo selectable), Self-timer (10/2 sec delay selectable), Bracket (Continuous/Single/WB/DRO), Remote commander (RMT-DSLR1 Sold Separately)
- Self-timer: 2-sec. or 10-sec. delay,
- Shutter Speeds: 1/8000 to 30 seconds, bulb
- Shutter Type: Electronically-controlled, vertical-traverse, focal-plane shutter
- Flash Compensation: ±3.0 EV (switchable between 1/3 and 1/2 EV steps)
- Flash Coverage: FOV coverage up to 16 mm (in the focal length)
- Recycling Time: Approx. 3 sec.
- Flash Bracketing: 0.3/0.5/0.7/2.0/3.0EV steps, 3/5 frames(2.0/3.0EV : only 3 frames) selectable
- Flash Metering System: ADI flash / Pre-flash TTL / Manual flash
- Flash Modes: Auto, Fill-flash, Slow Sync., Rear Sync., Hi-speed sync., Red-eye reduction (on/off selectable for Autoflash and fill-flash mode), Wireless, Off
- Flash Type: Built-in, Pop-up Auto
- Guide Number: 12 (in meters at ISO100)
- Auto High Dynamic Range: Yes, (Auto Exposure Difference, Exposure difference Level (1-6 EV at 1.0 EV step), off)
- Embedded GPS: Yes
- Sweep Panorama: Horizontal (Wide/Standard), Vertical, and 3D Panorama
- Face Detection: On/On (Regist. Faces)/Off
- Smile Shutter™ technology: Smile shutter (selectable from 3 steps)
- Image Stabilization: SteadyShot INSIDE™ in-body image stabilization
- Accessory Shoe: Yes (Alpha)
- BRAVIA® Sync™: Yes, via HDMI® with compatible BRAVIA HDTV
- DVDirect: Yes, via USB
- HD Output: HDMI® (TypeC mini)
- Memory Card Slot: Dual compatibility slot: Memory Stick PRO Duo™/Pro-HG Duo™/PRO-HG HX Duo™ media - SD, SDHC and SDXC memory card
- PhotoTV HD: Yes, with BRAVIA Sync enabled HDTV and HDMI® cable
- USB Port(s): USB2.0 Hi-speed (mass-storage, MTP)
- Battery Type: InfoLITHIUM® NP-FM500H (7.2V)
- Number of Still Images: Approx. 470 images with viewfinder, 530 images with LCD monitor (CIPA standard)
- Supplied Software: PMB (Picture Motion Browser) v5.2; Image Data Converter SR v3.2; Image Data Lightbox SR v2.2
- Operating System Compatibility: Windows XP SP3 (32-bit), Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7 SP1; Mac OS X (v10.3-?10.6), PMB is not compatible with Mac OS. Camera (via USB), Image Data Converter, and Image Data Lightbox software are compatible with Mac OS
- Height: 4-1/8"
- Width: 5-3/4"
- Depth: 3-1/4"
- Unit: 1.75 lbs (with battery & media)
- Shipping: 4 lbs
- Manufacturer Warranty (authorized online retailer): Limited One Year Parts
- Extended Service Warranty Available: Click the warranty tab above