Apple MacBook Pro 2.5GHz Intel Core i5 Notebook Computer, Model MD213LLA
- Retina Display
We wanted this MacBook Pro to have a screen as vivid as your imagination. A screen where everything you see is remarkably vibrant, detailed, and sharp. What we created was the world’s highest-resolution notebook display — and our most jaw-dropping Retina display yet
- Multimillion-pixel view
When you pack so many pixels into a display — over 4 million on the 13-inch model and over 5 million on the 15-inch model — the results are positively stunning. The pixel density is so high, your eyes can’t discern individual pixels. Images take on a new level of realism. Text is pin sharp. A spectacular 2560-by-1600 resolution on the 13-inch MacBook Pro and an equally impressive 2880-by-1800 resolution on the 15-inch MacBook Pro let you see more of your high-resolution images with pixel-for-pixel accuracy.
- More color and contrast. Less glare
The Retina display reduces glare up to 75 percent while maintaining incredible color and quality. In fact, it has a 29 percent higher contrast ratio than a standard MacBook Pro display. Blacks are blacker. Whites are whiter. And everything in between is rich and vibrant. IPS technology gives you a wide, 178-degree view of everything on the screen, so you’ll see the difference at practically any angle. And you’re going to love what you see.
- All-Flash Storage
When your goal is to build the high-performance notebook of the future, you begin at its foundation. For MacBook Pro with Retina display, that foundation is flash. Because when you build a notebook around an all-flash architecture, not only is everything more durable, reliable, and battery efficient — everything is fast. Really, really fast.
- There’s a reason they call it “flash.”
You’ll notice a difference in whatever you do — starting up takes seconds, apps launch quickly, even navigating the desktop feels incredibly fluid and responsive. It’s all thanks to flash storage, which gives you up to four times the performance of a traditional hard drive.1 So you can import huge photo libraries into Aperture in no time flat. And on the 15-inch model, flash storage combines with quad-core processors and high-performance discrete graphics to make quick work of even the most demanding editing tasks in Final Cut Pro. Since these MacBook Pro models come with up to 768GB of flash storage, you can keep all your important files with you. Flash doesn’t have any moving parts, which makes it superdurable and quiet. And flash storage is extremely energy efficient, which means your MacBook Pro also has the ability to stay in standby mode for up to a month, without plugging in. So whether it’s been 1 day or 30, your all-flash MacBook Pro will spring to life, right where you left off.
- Long-Lasting Battery
MacBook Pro has more than just processing power. It has an incredible amount of battery power, too. So you can do more than ever — all on a single charge.
- Matching power for power
A 7-hour battery life is impressive for any notebook. But for a high-performance notebook with an ultra-high-resolution display, top-of-the-line processors and graphics, and a superslim design, it’s absolutely remarkable. The built-in battery gives you up to 1000 full charge and discharge cycles and up to 30 days of instant-on standby time.3
- Power Nap
With Power Nap in OS X Mountain Lion, your MacBook Pro continues to receive new email and calendar invitations while it’s asleep. And when it’s connected to a power source, it can download software updates and make backups with Time Machine. So the next time you open your notebook, everything’s right there waiting for you
- The Fastest mobile processors
MacBook Pro with Retina display features the latest Intel dual-core and quad-core processors. They’re the muscle behind the most powerful notebooks we’ve ever built
- The new mobile powerhouse
With a dual-core Intel Core i5 or Intel Core i7 processor, the 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display lets you take your most performance-hungry apps on the road. That means wherever you can take your camera, you can take Aperture and your entire digital photo studio, too. Hyper-Threading technology, which enhances performance by letting each core handle multiple tasks simultaneously, is included in every model. And with speeds up to 2.9GHz and Turbo Boost speeds up to 3.6GHz, these processors are ready for just about anything
- Next-Generation NVIDIA Graphics
These graphics are so fast, smooth, and realistic, you might just forget you’re looking at a computer screen.
- The power behind the pixels
The 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display features Intel HD Graphics 4000 — perfect for both everyday tasks and graphics-intensive creative apps. Scroll through large photo albums with ease. Play games with amazing detail. Even connect an external display or two. It’s just another way this 13-inch MacBook Pro is small on size and big on performance.
- Ports and Connections
- The future of high-speed data transfer. Ready to use today
Everything about the MacBook Pro with Retina display is high performance — even its I/O. Whether you choose the 13-inch or the 15-inch model, you’ll get two Thunderbolt ports — the fastest, most versatile I/O available. That’s a huge advantage when you need to connect to just about anything — external displays, RAID arrays, video capture devices, even FireWire peripherals (adapter sold separately) and Gigabit Ethernet networks (adapter sold separately). Combine that with two USB 3 ports, an HDMI port, and an SDXC card slot, and in a matter of minutes you can build an entire professional studio with MacBook Pro as its centerpiece.
- Stay connected with the most advanced wireless technology
Meet the ultimate mobile creative studio. With an emphasis on mobile. Equipped with the latest three-stream 802.11n Wi-Fi5 and Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology, you’re free to unplug and still stay connected — to your network, to your wireless peripherals, and to the world. And with AirPlay and Apple TV, you can wirelessly play video, show off photos, and enjoy music from your MacBook Pro on your HDTV.
- Audio and Visual
- Advanced speaker design. Your notebook never sounded this good
You haven’t heard it all until you’ve heard the speakers inside the MacBook Pro. For something so thin and light, the sound is huge. And with a wide dynamic range, optimal balance, and a crisp, expressive quality, these speakers might sound too good to be true. That’s because we labored painstakingly over the design to maximize the quality of every decibel you hear.
- Dual mics. They’ll hear you loud and clear
Dual built-in microphones are great for when you want to be heard. If you’re making a FaceTime call, for example, the mics reduce background noise from behind the notebook. And when you use Dictation, they create an adaptive audio beam that intelligently adjusts to detect your voice — instead of the noise around you.
- FaceTime HD Camera
The 720p FaceTime HD camera is centered just above the Retina display. So you can make video calls to any iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, or Mac with a FaceTime HD camera.6
- Multi-Touch Trackpad and Backlit Keyboard
- Touch and go go go
In OS X, Multi-Touch is an essential part of how you interact with your Mac. Using realistic, intuitive gestures, you can switch between apps, navigate your content, and get the most out of your desktop space. The MacBook Pro with Retina display features a Multi-Touch trackpad with a large, all-glass button surface. So you can tap, pinch, swipe, and click away comfortably.
- A brighter way to work
Thin and light, MacBook Pro is designed to go anywhere — including places with less-than-stellar lighting. A built-in sensor detects changes in ambient light and adjusts the keyboard and display brightness automatically. So you’re never in the dark.
- Your content. On all your devices
iCloud stores your content and lets you access your music, photos, calendars, contacts, documents, and more from whatever device you’re on. So if you take a picture with your iPhone or make changes to your meeting schedule on your iPad, iCloud makes sure everything appears on your Mac, too. And it works both ways — create a to-do list on your Mac and you can make edits to it on your iPhone.
- Retina-Ready Software
- Your favorite software like you’ve never seen it before
To take advantage of the beautiful Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion apps like Safari, Mail, Calendar, Contacts, and more — as well as other Apple apps including iPhoto, iMovie, Pages, Numbers, Keynote, iTunes, Aperture, and Final Cut Pro — have already been optimized, and updates to other Apple apps are coming soon.
- Retina display: 13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology
- Supported resolutions: 2560-by-1600 native resolution at 227 pixels per inch with support for millions of colors; scaled resolutions: 1680 by 1050, 1440 by 900, and 1024 by 640 pixels
Processor and Memory
- 2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz) with 3MB shared L3 cache
- 8GB of 1600MHz DDR3L onboard memory
- Intel HD Graphics 4000
- Thunderbolt digital video output
- Native Mini DisplayPort output
- DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter (sold separately)
- VGA output using Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter (sold separately)
- Dual-link DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (sold separately)
Video Support and Camera
- 720p FaceTime HD camera
- Dual display and video mirroring:Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on up to two external displays, at millions of colors
Connections and Expansion
- MagSafe 2 power port
- Two Thunderbolt ports (up to 10 Gbps)
- Two USB 3 ports (up to 5 Gbps)
- HDMI port
- Headphone port
- SDXC card slot
- Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (sold separately)
- Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter (sold separately)
Battery and Power
- Up to 7 hours wireless web
- Up to 30 days standby time
- Built-in 74-watt-hour lithium-polymer battery
- 60W MagSafe 2 Power Adapter with cable management system; MagSafe 2 power port
- 802.11n Wi-Fi wireless networking; IEEE 802.11a/b/g compatible
- Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology
- Stereo speakers
- Dual microphones
- Headphone port
- Headphone/optical digital audio output (minijack)
- Support for Apple iPhone headset with microphone
Keyboard and Trackpad
- Full-size backlit keyboard with 78 (U.S.) or 79 (ISO) keys, including 12 function keys and 4 arrow keys (inverted “T” arrangement) with ambient light sensor
- Multi-Touch trackpad for precise cursor control; supports inertial scrolling, pinch, rotate, swipe, three-finger swipe, four-finger swipe, tap, double-tap, and drag capabilities
Electrical and Operating Requirements
- Line voltage: 100V to 240V AC
- Frequency: 50Hz to 60Hz
- Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)
- Storage temperature: –13° to 113° F (–24° to 45° C)
- Relative humidity: 0% to 90% noncondensing
- Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet
- Maximum storage altitude: 15,000 feet
- Maximum shipping altitude: 35,000 feet
- OS X Mountain Lion: Includes Mail, Address Book, iCal, the Mac App Store, iTunes, Safari, Time Machine, FaceTime, Photo Booth, Mission Control, Launchpad, AirDrop, Resume, Auto Save, Versions, Quick Look, Spotlight, QuickTime, and more
- iLife: Includes iPhoto, iMovie, and GarageBand
In The Box
- MacBook Pro with Retina display
- 85W MagSafe 2 Power Adapter, AC wall plug, and power cord
- Printed and electronic documentation
- Height: 0.75"
- Width: 12.35"
- Depth: 8.62"
- Unit: 3.57 lbs
- Shipping: 7 lbs
- Testing conducted by Apple in May 2012 using preproduction 2.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i7-based 15-inch MacBook Pro units with 512GB of flash storage and 8GB of RAM. 2.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7-based 15-inch MacBook Pro systems with 750GB 5400-rpm hard drive and 4GB of RAM were production units. Testing conducted by Apple in September 2012 using preproduction 2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5-based 13-inch MacBook Pro units with 256GB of flash storage and 8GB of RAM. 2.9GHz dual-core Intel Core i7-based 13-inch MacBook Pro systems with 750GB 5400-rpm hard drive and 8GB of RAM were production units.
- Testing conducted by Apple in May 2012 using preproduction 2.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i7-based 15-inch MacBook Pro units with 512GB of flash storage and 8GB of RAM. 2.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7-based 15-inch MacBook Pro systems with 750GB 5400-rpm hard drive and 4GB of RAM were production units. Testing conducted by Apple in September 2012 using preproduction 2.9GHz dual-core Intel Core i7-based 13-inch MacBook Pro units with 512GB of flash storage and 8GB of RAM. 2.9GHz dual-core Intel Core i7-based 13-inch MacBook Pro systems with 750GB 5400-rpm hard drive and 8GB of RAM were production units.
- Battery life and charge cycles vary by use and configuration. See www.apple.com/batteries for more information.
- Testing conducted by Apple in May 2012 using preproduction 2.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i7-based 15-inch MacBook Pro units with NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M and 8GB of RAM. 2.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7-based 15-inch MacBook Pro systems with AMD Radeon HD 6770M and 4GB of RAM were production units. Tested at 1440x900 using StarCraft II v(18.104.22.16829) and Civilization V v(22.214.171.1241). StarCraft II tested using the 2012 MLG Winter Arena EGldrA vs IMNesTea replay from 11:00-16:00 with high graphics quality. Civilization V tested with the built-in leader benchmark with medium leader scene quality. MacBook Pro continuously monitors system thermal and power conditions, and may adjust processor speed as needed to maintain optimal system operation.
- Wireless Internet access requires a wireless access point and Internet access; fees may apply.
- FaceTime video calling requires a FaceTime-enabled device for the caller and recipient and a Wi-Fi connection. Availability over a cellular network depends on carrier policies; data charges may apply.
iCloud requires iOS 5 or later on iPhone 3GS or later, iPod touch (3rd generation or later), or iPad; a Mac computer with OS X Lion or later; or a PC with Windows Vista or Windows 7 (Outlook 2007 or 2010 or an up-to-date browser is required for accessing email, contacts, and calendars). Some features require iOS 6 and OS X Mountain Lion. Some features require a Wi-Fi connection. Some features are not available in all countries. Access to some services is limited to 10 devices.