Bowers & Wilkins Flat Panel Black Monitor Speaker, Model FPM5B
While the primary reason to buy an LCD or Plasma TV is usually the stunning picture, their slim, space-saving designs are always an added bonus. Easily wall-mountable, flat-panel TVs let you design a sleek, minimalist setup, but to get great sound you'll usually have to disturb that aesthetic with bulky external speakers. Enter the Bowers & Wilkins FPM5 Flat Panel Speaker, which fits the audio engineering and sound quality typical of B&W speakers into an enclosure designed to complement the lines of flat-panel TVs.
The B&W FPM5 Speaker stands 52 inches tall, a height intended to mirror the typical placement of a 50-inch LCD or Plasma TV. Each speaker is just 8.8 inches deep, significantly slimmer than most floor standing speakers. Everything about its composition, from overall dimensions, to the integrated stand, to the monolithic and monochromatic speaker design, is meant to echo the visual elements of today's flat-panel TVs. Stand the B&W FPM5 Speaker next to your LED TV, and visitors will be convinced they came with the display. The FPM5 speaker can be wall mounted, and B&W even encourages flush-mounting the unit into the wall if needed.
Thankfully, B&W didn't make any compromises in sound output while minimizing the speaker enclosure's size. Inside, you'll find components built with the high-tech features that grace the rest of the company's high-end speakers. Classified as a 2 ½-way speaker, a trio of drivers reproduce an extensive frequency range, making the FPM5 speakers ideal front channels in a home theater surround sound system. A pair of 4-inch Kevlar cone drivers handles low and middle frequencies, with one of the duo tuned for bass and one for midrange. In between them sits the 1-inch alloy dome Nautilus tweeter, which sings out clear highs. The result is a vast improvement in sound over typical LCD TV speakers, whether you use the B&W FPM5 Speaker as part of a multi-channel system, or just as a pair.
- Woven Kevlar Yes
- Crossover Tuning Yes
- Nautilus Tapering Yes
- Technical features
- Kevlar®cone bass / midrange
- Description 2½-way vented-box system
- Drive Units
- 2x ø110mm (4 in) Kevlar® cone bass / midrange
- 1x ø25mm (1 in) alloy dome high-frequency
- Frequency Range -6dB at 62Hz and 42kHz
- Frequency Response 69Hz – 22kHz ±3dB on reference axis
- Dispersion Within 2dB of reference response
- Horizantal over 40º arc
- Vertical over 10º arc
- Sensitivity 88dB spl (2.83V, 1m)
- Harmonic Distortion
- 2nd and 3rd harmonics (88dB, 1m)
- <1% 100Hz – 20kHz
- <0.5% 200Hz – 10kHz
- Nominal Impedance 8Ω (minimum 4Ω)
- Crossover Frequencies 180Hz, 3.7kHz
- Recommended Amplifier Power 25W – 120W into 8Ω on unclipped programme
- Max. Recommended Cable Impedance 0.1Ω
- Finish High gloss black with black cloth
- Table & Floor Stands Silver
- Height: 52"
- Width: 10.3"
- Depth: 8.8"
- Unit: 12 lbs
- Shipping: 15 lbs