Bowers & Wilkins 600 Series Red Cherry Bookshelf Speakers, Model 686C
There's a large contingent of music and movie lovers who want to enjoy big sound, but unfortunately don't have the space—or budget—to do so. For these people, the Bowers & Wilkins 686 Bookshelf Speakers are a superb sound solution. Featuring the same audio technology of larger B&W Speakers, the 686 bookshelf speakers are perfect for filling smaller rooms with sonic energy.
The B&W 686 Bookshelf Speakers are the smallest and most affordable of the acclaimed B&W 600 series of speakers, but come outfitted with the same drivers you'll find in top-of-the-line models. As true 2-way speakers, these compact speakers produce an impressive frequency response for their size. Bass is delivered by a 5-inch woven Kevlar cone midrange, while a 1-inch Nautilus tube loaded aluminum dome tweeter handles the high frequencies. A big driver in a small enclosure often creates adverse air turbulence, but B&W's Flowport bass reflex port reduces this turbulence, cutting down on chuffing noises and delivering powerful sound with less compression.
At just 10.5 inches tall and 6.7 inches wide—about as big as a pair of hardcover bestsellers—the B&W 686 speakers will easily fit on the average bookshelf, as well as other inconspicuous spots. A choice of tasteful finishes, either Red Cherry or Black Ash, helps them fit into a wide range of décors. Paired with a simple stereo receiver, these B&W bookshelf speakers make an elegant sound system for the office. Their diminutive stature also makes them perfect as rear surround speakers in a surround sound system consisting of other B&W 600 Series Speakers. However you implement them, the B&W 686 Bookshelf Speakers will provide you with enjoyable sound that you wouldn't expect from such small speakers.
- Woven Kevlar Yes
- Crossover Tuning Yes
- Nautilus Tapering Tube Yes
- Flowport Yes
- Technical Features
- Nautilus™ tube loaded aluminium dome tweeter
- Kevlar® brand fibre cone bass / midrange
- Description 2-way vented-box system
- Drive Units
- 1x ø25mm (1 in) aluminium dome high-frequency
- 1x ø130mm (5 in) woven Kevlar® cone bass / midrange
- Frequency Range -6dB at 45Hz and 50kHz
- Frequency Response 55Hz - 22kHz ±3dB on reference axis
- Within 2dB of reference response
- Horizontal: over 60º arc
- Vertical: over 10º arc
- Sensitivity 84dB spl (2.83V, 1m)
- Harmonic Distortion
- 2nd and 3rd harmonics (90dB, 1m)
- <1% 110Hz - 22kHz
- <0.5% 150Hz - 20kHz
- Nominal Impedance 8Ω (minimum 5.1Ω)
- Crossover Frequency 4 kHz
- Crossover Filters 1st Order – tweeter
- Recommended Amplifier Power 25W - 100W into 8Ω on unclipped programme
- Max. Recommended Cable Impedance 0.1Ω
- Finish Red Cherry
- Height: 10.5"
- Width: 6.7"
- Depth: 11.2"
- Unit: 10.8 lbs
- Shipping: 15 lbs