Bowers & Wilkins 600 Series Red Cherry 2.5-Way Floorstanding Speaker, Model 684C
Perfect when paired as a set of stereo speakers, or as the foundation of a multi-channel surround sound system, the Bowers & Wilkins 684 Floorstanding Speaker produces impressive, voluminous sound, ideal for medium to large-sized rooms.
The drive to always improve their products is what makes B&W speakers among the industry's best. For the 684 Floorstanders, B&W decided on a new combination of drivers, and the results are overwhelmingly positive. The lower, 6.5-inch woven Kevlar cone bass driver produces strictly low-end sounds, while above it sits a matching 6.5-inch midrange unit handling the more middling frequencies. This division of frequency range lets a single floor standing speaker produce both heavy bass and clear, undistorted mids. Of course, there's more to sound than just bass, so the B&W 684 is also outfitted with a 1-inch Nautilus tube loaded aluminum dome tweeter to take care of the high end. Working in unison, the drivers of this 2.5-way speaker reproduce a full range of sound, providing a satisfying listening experience even without the help of a subwoofer.
Because of their modular, matched nature, buying B&W speakers relieves you of having to decide on exactly what kind of audio setup you'd like to ultimately have. Start with a pair of the 684 Floorstanding Speakers and you'll have an enviable stereo system. Add an ASW610 Subwoofer for a 2.1 system, then a center channel and rear speakers for an engulfing 5.1 surround sound experience. As part of the B&W 600 Series, each speaker is matched not only sonically, but also aesthetically, in either a Red Cherry or Black Ash finish. So if budgetary or space restraints require you to buy your system a piece at a time, you can rest assured knowing that when complete, it will both look and sound like a cohesive, pro-caliber audio setup.
*Sold as single speakers.*
- Woven Kevlar Yes
- Crossover Tuning Yes
- Nautilus Tapering Tube Yes
- Flowport Yes
- Technical Features
- Nautilus™tube loaded aluminium dome tweeter
- Kevlar® brand fibre cone bass/midrange
- Kevlar® brand fibre cone bass driver
- Description 2½ -way vented-box system
- Drive Units
- 1x ø25mm (1 in) aluminium dome high-frequency
- 1x ø165mm (6.5 in) woven Kevlar® cone bass/mid
- 1x ø165mm (6.5 in) woven Kevlar® cone bass
- Frequency Range -6dB at 34Hz and 50kHz
- Frequency Response 44Hz - 22kHz ±3dB on reference axis
- Within 2dB of reference response
- Horizontal: over 60º arc
- Vertical: over 10º arc
- Sensitivity 90dB spl (2.83V, 1m)
- Harmonic Distortion
- 2nd and 3rd harmonics (90dB, 1m)
- <1% 90Hz - 22kHz
- <0.5% 120Hz - 20kHz
- Nominal Impedance 8Ω (minimum 3.0 Ω)
- Crossover Frequencies 150Hz, 4kHz
- Crossover Filters
- 1st Order – tweeter
- 1st Order – bass/midrange
- 1st Order – bass
- Recommended Amplifier Power 25W - 150W into 8Ω on unclipped programme
- Max. Recommended Cable Impedance 0.1Ω
- Finish Red Cherry
- Height: 35.8"
- Width: 7.8"
- Depth: 11.8"
- Unit: 40.1 lbs
- Shipping: 48 lbs