Bowers & Wilkins 600 Series Black Ash Bookshelf Speakers, Model 685B
B&W created their 600 Series of speakers as a way to give all types of listeners a way to enjoy audiophile quality sound. The line encompasses speakers of all size and budgetary requirements, while still providing the legendary sound of B&W speakers. Their 686 Bookshelf Speakers open the line, but if you've got a bigger budget and are looking for a little bit bigger sound, the B&W 685 Bookshelf Speakers will deliver it, in a package that's not too much larger.
A common assumption is that a speaker must be large to produce substantial sound. While in many cases the size does help, the B&W 685 Bookshelf Speakers are proof positive that there are exceptions to every rule. A 2-way design produces a wide frequency range of rich, natural sound. The legendary B&W Nautilus tube loaded 1-inch aluminum dome tweeter sings crystal clear high notes, while a 6.5-inch woven Kevlar bass/midrange driver brings the low end. A Flowport bass vent keeps the 685 Bookshelf Speakers breathing easy, reducing rattles and resonance that can pollute your music.
With the 685 speakers, you get the quality components and engineering typical of high-end B&W Speakers, but in package that won't require a ton of space. At just 13.4 inches tall and 7.8 inches wide, the 685 Bookshelf Speakers will easily fit into inconspicuous spots in your home or office. Their compact size makes them perfect for a compact stereo setup or as surround channels in a home theater system. A choice of finishes—Black Ash or Red Cherry—helps them fit in with a variety of décors.
While not the smallest bookshelf speakers around, the B&W 685 Speakers strike the perfect balance between size and sound output without sacrificing either.
- Woven Kevlar Yes
- Crossover Tuning Yes
- Nautilus Tapering Tube Yes
- Flowport Yes
- Technical Features
- Nautilus™ tube loaded aluminium dome tweeter
- Kevlar® brand fibre cone bass/midrange
- Description 2-way vented-box system
- Drive Units
- 1x ø25mm (1 in) aluminium dome high-frequency
- 1x ø165mm (6.5 in) woven Kevlar® cone bass / midrange
- Frequency Range -6dB at 42Hz and 50kHz
- Frequency Response 49Hz - 22kHz ±3dB on reference axis
- Within 2dB of reference response
- Horizontal: over 60º arc
- Vertical: over 10º arc
- Sensitivity 88dB spl (2.83V, 1m)
- Harmonic Distortion
- 2nd and 3rd harmonics (90dB, 1m)
- <1% 100Hz - 22kHz
- <0.5% 150Hz - 20kHz
- Nominal Impedance 8Ω (minimum 3.7Ω)
- Crossover Frequency 4kHz
- Crossover Filters 1st Order – tweeter
- Recommended Amplifier Power 25W - 100W into 8Ω on unclipped programme
- Max. Recommended Cable Impedance 0.1Ω
- Finish Black Ash
- Height: 13.4"
- Width: 7.8"
- Depth: 12.3"
- Unit: 15.4 lbs
- Shipping: 19 lbs