Canon EOS Rebel T5i Digital SLR Camera Body - REBELT5IBODY
Renew Your Creative Soul
Photo enthusiasts rejoice! The new flagship of the spectacular Rebel Line,
the EOS Rebel T5i, is here to renew your artistic side with amazing imaging
features and full-featured functionality. Users will be impressed at how simple
and intuitive it is to create breathtaking photos with ease. The incredible
image quality and performance starts with an 18.0 Megapixel CMOS (APS-C) sensor
and Canon's superb DIGIC 5 Image Processor. Combined with an extensive ISO range
of 100-12800 (expandable to 25600 in H mode), the EOS Rebel T5i boasts crisp,
detailed images, even in low-light situations. A continuous shooting speed of
up to 5.0 fps allows for fast action capture. 9 cross-type AF focus points help
ensure crisp focus throughout the frame, and the Hybrid CMOS AF system enables
speedy and accurate autofocus when shooting in Live View mode. In addition,
the camera is compatible with Canon STM lenses for smooth, quiet AF performance.
And the performance doesn't stop with photos. EOS Full HD Movie mode with Movie
Servo AF makes shooting high quality movies easy, and the brilliant Vari-angle
Touch Screen 3.0-inch Clear View LCD monitor II makes composing fun. Seven Creative
Filters, now viewable in real time, puts composition control directly in your
hands and is just one of the many features of the EOS Rebel T5i that is sure
to renew your creative soul.
- 18.0 Megapixel CMOS (APS-C) sensor
The EOS Rebel T5i features Canon's amazing 18.0 Megapixel CMOS (Complementary
Metal Oxide Semiconductor) sensor. Perfect for enlargements or for cropping
detailed portions of the composition, the camera's sensor captures images
with exceptional clarity and tonal range. This first-class sensor features
many of the same technologies used by professional Canon cameras to maximize
each pixel's light-gathering efficiency and has center pixels that aid in
the EOS Rebel T5i's accurate AF performance. This APS-C size sensor creates
an effective 1.6x field of view (compared to 35mm format).
- ISO 100-12800 and expandable to 25600 in H mode
Thanks to its DIGIC 5 Image Processor, the EOS Rebel T5i features an expanded
ISO range of ISO 100-12800 (expandable to 25600 in H mode) that makes shooting
possible in situations previously unthinkable without flash. The EOS Rebel
T5i, with the DIGIC 5 Image Processor's remarkable noise-reduction technology,
performs brilliantly in low-light shooting. Used with one of Canon's EF or
EF-S lenses with Optical Image Stabilizer, the EOS Rebel T5i can record beautiful
images even when light sources are scarce.
- DIGIC 5 Image Processor
The EOS Rebel T5i's DIGIC 5 Image Processor works with the camera's CMOS sensor
to deliver images with incredible detail in more situations, without the need
for artificial light sources. With the power of the DIGIC 5 Image Processor,
the EOS Rebel T5i can achieve higher ISO sensitivity, can shoot up to 5.0
fps continuously and can even perform advanced functions like HDR Backlight
Control, art filters, lens correction and much more. The camera's brilliant
imaging core supercharges every facet of still and moving image capture.
- High-speed continuous shooting
The EOS Rebel T5i can shoot up to 5.0 frames per second, continuously. Thanks
to the enhanced shutter mechanism, mirror drive and camera sensor, the EOS
Rebel T5i is ready for action; whether capturing that perfect expression,
the game's winning goal, or the bride walking down the aisle, the EOS Rebel
T5i delivers the speed and performance to guarantee results.
- Exceptional autofocus performance and Hybrid CMOS AF
The EOS Rebel T5i is equipped with AF features that ensure speedy, accurate
and continuous AF every time. When shooting through the viewfinder, the EOS
Rebel T5i has advanced autofocus with a 9-point, all cross-type AF system
(including a high-precision dual-cross f/2.8 center point) for accurate focus
whether the camera is oriented in portrait or landscape position. An AI Servo
AF system achieves and maintains consistent focus with an exceptional degree
The EOS Rebel T5i also features Canon's amazing Hybrid CMOS AF System, perfect
for shooting photos and video in Live View. This system combines two distinct
AF technologies, phase and contrast detection AF, for speedier and more accurate
focus. These complementary focusing systems are aided by pixels on the camera's
CMOS sensor that assist in predicting subject location, making continuous
focus tracking quick and accurate in video recording while enhancing focusing
- EOS Full HD Movie Mode with Movie Servo AF
The EOS Rebel T5i offers easy-to-use, professional video capture without compromise.
It enables easy manual control of exposure, focus and Live View features,
even in-camera editing! Movie Servo AF allows continuous autofocus tracking
of moving subjects while recording video.
- CANON iMAGE GATEWAY Qualified
An online resource offering digital imaging education and photo and video
sharing capabilities exclusively for registered owners of qualified Canon
products. Members can read up on topics related to their products, how-to
articles, and more.
- Type: Digital AF/AE single-lens reflex camera with built-in flash
- Recording Media:
- SD card, SDHC card, SDXC memory card
*Compatible with Ultra High Speed (UHS-I) memory cards and Eye-Fi cards.
- Image Format: Approx. Approx. 22.3mm x 14.9mm (APS-C)
- Compatible Lenses: Canon EF lenses (including EF-S lenses)
- Lens Mount: Canon EF mount
- Type: CMOS Sensor
- Pixels: Effective pixels: Approx. 18.0 megapixels
- Pixel Unit: 4.3 µm square
- Total Pixels: Total pixels: Approx. 18.50 megapixels
- Aspect Ratio: 3:2 (Horizontal : Vertical)
- Color Filter System: RGB primary color filters
- Low Pass Filter: Fixed position in front of the image sensor
- Dust Deletion Feature
- Self Cleaning Sensor Unit
Removes dust adhering to the low-pass filter.
Self-cleaning executed automatically (taking approx. 2 sec.) when power
is turned on or off. Manual execution also possible (taking approx. 5
- Dust Delete Data acquisition and appending
The coordinates of the dust adhering to the low-pass filter are detected
by a test shot and appended to subsequent images.
The dust coordinate data appended to the image is used by the provided
software to automatically erase the dust spots.
- Manual cleaning
- Recording Format: Complies with Design rule for Camera File system
2.0 and Exif 2.30
- File Size
- (1) Large: Approx. 17.90 Megapixels (5,184 x 3,456)
- (2) Medium: Approx. 8.00 Megapixels (3,456 x 2,304)
- (3) Small 1: Approx. 4.50 Megapixels (2,592 x 1,728)
- (4) Small 2: Approx. 2.50 Megapixels (1920 x 1280)
- (5) Small 3: Approx. 0.35 Megapixels (720 x 480)
- (6) RAW: Approx. 17.90 Megapixels (5,184 x 3,456)
- File Numbering:
The following three types of file numbering method can be set:
- Continuous numbering: The numbering of captured images will continue
even after you replace the camera's card.
- Auto reset: When you replace the camera's card, the numbering
will be reset to start from 0001. If the new card already contains images,
the numbering will continue from the last recorded image in the card.
- Manual reset: Resets the file number to 0001, and creates a
new folder automatically.
- RAW + JPEG Simultaneous Recording: Yes
- Color Space: sRGB, Adobe RGB
- Picture Style: Auto, Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Neutral, Faithful,
Monochrome, User Defined 1-3
- In Basic Zone modes, "Auto" is set automatically.
- In Creative Zone modes, you can select or set the Picture Style.
- Default settings for [User Defined 1-3] are [Auto].
- Settings: Auto, Preset (Daylight; Shade; Cloudy, Twilight, Sunset;
Tungsten light; White Fluorescent Light; Flash), Custom (Approx. 2,000°
- 10,000°K), White Balance Correction, and White Balance Bracketing
- Auto White Balance: Auto white balance with the image sensor
- Color Temperature Compensation:
- White balance correction:
- Blue/amber bias: ±9 levels
- Magenta/green bias: ±9 levels
- Correction based on the current WB mode's color temperature.
- Color Temperature Information Transmission: Provided
- Type: Eye-level SLR (with fixed pentamirror)
- Coverage: Approx. 95% vertically and horizontally (with Eye point
- Magnification: Approx. 0.85x / 23.8° (50mm lens 8, -1 m-1)
- Eye Point: Approx. 19 mm (At -1m-1 from the eyepiece lens center)
- Dioptric Adjustment Correction: -3.0 to +1.0 m-1 (dpt)
- Focusing Screen: Fixed
- Mirror: Quick-return half mirror (transmittance: reflectance ratio
- Viewfinder Information
- 1) AF information (AF points and focus confirmation light)
- 2) Exposure information (Shutter speed, aperture, ISO speed (always
displayed), AE lock, exposure level, spot metering circle, exposure warning)
- 3) Flash information (Flash ready, flash exposure compensation, high-speed
sync, FE lock, red-eye reduction light)
- 4) Image information (Highlight tone priority (D+), monochrome shooting,
maximum burst (1-digit display), white balance correction, SD card information)
- Depth Of Field Preview: Enabled with depth-of-field preview button
- Type: TTL secondary image-forming, phase-difference detection
- AF Points: 9 points (All AF points are cross-type at f/5.6., Center
AF point is diagonal cross-type at f/2.8.)
- AF Working Range:EV -0.5 - 18 (at room temperature and ISO 100, based
on Canon's testing standards)
- Focusing Modes
- One-Shot AF
- Predictive AI Servo AF
- AI Focus AF (*Switches between One-Shot AF and AI Servo AF)
- Manual focus (MF)
- AF Point Selection:
- (1) Manual selection
- (2) Auto selection
- * Automatically set (2) in Basic Zone modes and A-DEP mode.
- Selected AF Point Display Indicated by superimposed display in the
viewfinder and on the LCD monitor.
- AF Assist Beam
- 1) Intermittent firing of built-in flash.
- 2) Effective range: Approx. 4 m/13.1 ft at center, approx. 3.5 m/11.5
ft at periphery.
- With an EOS-dedicated Speedlite attached, the Speedlite's AF-assist
beam is emitted instead.
- Compatible with assist-beam (intermittent firing) of 320EX, 270EX II
and 270EX flashes.
- Metering Modes:
TTL maximum aperture metering with 63-zone metering sensor
- Evaluative metering (linkable to all AF points)
- Partial metering (center, approx. 9% of viewfinder at center)
- Spot metering (center, approx. 4% of viewfinder at center)
- Center-weighted average metering
- Metering Range: EV 1.0 - EV 20.0 (at 73°F/23°C with 50mm
f/1.8 II lens at ISO 100)
- Exposure Control Systems
- Creative Zone
- (1) Program AE (shiftable)
- (2) Shutter-priority AE
- (3) Aperture-priority AE
- (4) Manual exposure (including bulb)
- Basic zone
- (1) Scene Intelligent Auto (Program AE / non-shiftable)
- (2) Flash Off
- (3) Creative Auto
* When background blurring is set, shooting with flash is disabled.
When the flash is raised, background blurring cannot be set.
- (4) Portrait
- (5) Landscape
- (6) Close-up
- (7) Sports
- (8) Special Scene
- Night Portrait
- Handheld Night Scene
HDR Backlight Control mode
- ISO Speed Range:
- 1 Manual setting range of ISO 100-12800, expansion to ISO 25600
- 2 Auto, ISO 100-6400 (in whole-stop increments)
- Exposure Compensation:
- Manual: ±5 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments (AEB ±2
- AEB : ±2 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments
- If the exposure compensation exceeds ±2 stops, the left
or right icon appears in the viewfinder.
- Manual exposure compensation and AEB can be set in combination.*
AEB is set in the following sequence: Standard exposure, decreased
exposure, and increased exposure.
- If AEB is used with the self-timer, the three bracketed shots will
be taken in succession after the 10-sec. or 2-sec. delay.
- AE Lock:
- (1) Auto AE lock: In the One-Shot AF mode with evaluative metering,
AE lock takes effect when focus is achieved.
- (2) Manual AE lock: In the P, Tv, Av, and M modes, enabled with
the AE lock button. (Press again to update.) Enabled in all metering modes.
- Type: Vertical-travel, mechanical, focal-plane shutter with all speeds
* Electronic 1st curtain and mechanical 2nd curtain
- Shutter Speeds:
- 1/4000 to 1/60 sec., X-sync at 1/200 sec. (Scene Intelligent Auto)
* With a wide-angle lens, the shutter may be 1/60 sec. or slower.
- 1/4000 to 30 sec., bulb, X-sync at 1/200 sec.
* Settable in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments..
- Shutter Release: Soft-touch electromagnetic release
- Self Timer: 10-sec. or 2-sec. delay
- Shutter Lag Time
- (1) During SW-1 ON, time lag between SW-2 ON and start of exposure:
Approx. 0.075 sec.
- (2) Time lag between simultaneous SW-1/SW-2 ON and start of exposure:
Approx. 0.150 sec.
* Time lag with the aperture stopped down by 3 stops or less. Excludes
AF operation time
- Flash Metering: E-TTL II autoflash (evaluative flash metering and
average flash metering), FE Lock
- Flash Exposure Compensation: ±2 stops in 1/3-stop or 1/2-stop
- FE Lock: Provided
- External Flash Settings:
- (1) External flash function setting
* Flash firing, E-TTL II auto flash system, flash mode, wireless master,
zoom, sync setting, flash exposure compensation, FEB, and clear setting.
* With the 600EX-RT, radio wireless transmission control is possible.
- (2) External flash C.Fn setting
* The actual setting options for (1) and (2) will differ depending on
the Speedlite used.
- Drive Modes: Single, Continuous, 10-sec. self-timer/Remote control,
2-sec. self-timer, Continuous shooting after 10-sec. self-timer (2 to 10 shots)
- Continuous Shooting Speed: High-speed continuous shooting: Max. approx.
* With One-Shot AF or AI Servo AF
- Maximum Burst:
- Based on 8GB memory Card:
- JPEG Large/Fine: Approx. 22 Shots
- RAW: Approx. 6 Shots
- RAW+JPEG Large/Fine: 3 Shots
- Based on 8GB UHS-I memory card:
- JPEG Large/Fine: Approx. 30 Shots
- RAW: Approx. 6 Shots
- RAW + JPEG Large/Fine: 3 Shots
* Figures are based on Canon?s testing standards (ISO 100 and Standard
* At ISO 12800, maximum burst will greatly decrease due to internal
Live View Functions
- Shooting Modes: Still photo shooting and video shooting
- (1) AF operation of the Hybrid CMOS AF, One-shot AF
i. Face Detection plus Tracking AF
ii. FlexiZone - Multi
* 31 zones
* AF at the touched zone
iii. FlexiZone - Single
- (2) TTL secondary image-forming, phase-difference detection with AF
operation, One-shot AF
i. Manual selection
ii. Auto selection
* Automatically set in Basic Zone modes
- (3) Manual focus
* Manual focusing by enlarging images by approx. five to ten times
- Metering Modes:
Real-time evaluative metering with image sensor.
- (1) Evaluative metering (315 zones)
- (2) Partial metering (approx. 8.8% of Live View screen)
- (3) Spot metering (approx. 2.8% of Live View screen)
- (4) Center-weighted average metering
* AE lock possible. The active metering time can be changed.
- Metering Range: EV 0 to EV 20 (At 23°C/73°F, 50mm f/1.4 lens,
- Grid Display:
Two grids provided:
- Grid 1: Pair of vertical and horizontal lines
- Grid 2: 5 vertical and 3 horizontal lines
- Exposure Simulation: Provided
- Silent Shooting: Not provided
- File Format MOV:
Movie: MPEG-4 AVC / H.264
* Variable (average) bit rate
Audio: Linear PCM
* Meta information is embedded in the MOV file (no separate THM file)
- File Size Recording Size:
- [Full HD]
1920 x 1080 (30 fps*1/25 fps/24 fps*2): 330 MB/min.
1280 x 720 (60 fps*3/50fps): 330 MB/min.
640 x 480 (30 fps*1/25fps): 82.5 MB/min.
* If the file size exceeds 4GB, a new file will be automatically created.
* See following section for actual frame rates.
- Frame Rates
- 1920 x 1080 (Full HD): 30p (29.97) / 24p (23.976) / 25p
- 1280 x 720 (HD): 60p (59.94) / 50p
- 640 x 480 (SD): 30p (29.97) / 25p
- Continuous Shooting Time
- Based on 8GB Memory Card
[1920 x 1080]
30 fps/25 fps/24 fps: 22 min.
[1280 x 720]
60 fps/50 fps: 22 min.
[640 x 480]
30 fps/25 fps: 1 hr. 32 min.
- Based on 16GB Memory Card
[1920 x 1080]
30 fps/25 fps/24 fps: 44 min.
[1280 x 720]
60 fps/50 fps: 44 min.
[640 x 480]
30 fps/25 fps: 3 hr. 04 min.
* If recording time reaches 29 min. 59 sec., movie shooting stops automatically.
* See Frame Rates section for actual frame rates.
- (1) One-shot AF
- (2) Servo AF
- (3) Manual Focus
* Magnify the image by approx. 5x or appox. 10x and focus manually.
AF using AF point selection:
i. Face Detection plus Tracking AF
ii. FlexiZone - Multi
* 31 zones
* AF at the touched zone
iii. FlexiZone - Single
- Range: 8 bit, 0 - 255
- Exposure Control
- (1) Program AE for movie shooting
* In Basic Zone modes, P, Av, and Tv modes
* Shutter speed 1/30 - 1/4000 sec. (Signal accumulation time), aperture,
and ISO speed automatically set.
- (2) Manual exposure
* Shutter speed (signal accumulation time), aperture, and ISO speed (auto/manual)
manually set. The shutter speed (signal accumulation time) is limited
to 1/4000 sec. at the maximum and to 1/30 sec. at the minimum for 24/25/30
fps or 1/60 sec. or higher for 50/60 fps.
- Exposure Compensation: Provided (±3 stops in 1/3-stop increments)
* For video, exposure compensation will not be applied beyond ±3 stops
even if the exposure compensation has been set beyond ±3 stops.
* For still photo shooting, the exposure compensation can be set and applied
up to ±5 stops.
- Type: TFT color, liquid-crystal monitor with Touch Panel LCD (capacitive
- Monitor Size: 3.0 in. (Screen aspect ratio of 3:2)
- Pixels:Approx. 1,040,000 dots
- Brightness Control: Adjustable to one of seven levels
- Interface Languages: 25 (English, German, French, Dutch, Danish,
Portuguese, Finnish, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Greek, Russian,
Polish, Hungarian, Czech, Romanian, Ukraine, Turkish, Arabic, Thai, Simplified
Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Korean and Japanese)
- Display Format:
- (1) Single image display
Single image, basic information, detailed information, histogram display
- (2) Index display
- (3) Jump display (Image jump w/ Main Dial)
1/10/100 images, shooting date, by folder, movies only, stills only, by
- Highlight Alert: On the detailed information and histogram displays,
highlight areas with no image data will blink.
- Histogram: Brightness / RGB
Quick Control Function
When you press the Quick Control function button under the following conditions,
you can set the functions below:
*The settable functions depend on the shooting mode
- (1) With viewfinder shooting:
Shutter speed, aperture, ISO speed, exposure compensation, AEB, flash exposure
compensation, Picture Style, white balance, Auto Lighting Optimizer, built-in
flash func. setting, AF mode, drive mode, metering mode, and image recording
- (2) With Live View shooting:
AF mode, drive mode, white balance, Picture Style, Auto Lighting Optimizer,
image-recording quality, and built-in flash func. setting.
- (3) With video shooting:
AF mode, white balance, Picture Style, Auto Lighting Optimizer, image recording
quality (stills), video-recording size, and video snapshot.
Image Protection and Erase
- Protection: Erase protection can be applied/canceled for a single
image, all images in a folder, or all images in the card.
- Erase: Erase single image, erase selected images, erase all images
on folder, erase all images in a card, or erase only unprotected images.
- Compatible Printers: PictBridge-compatible printers
- Printable Images:
- JPEG images complying to Design rule for Camera File System
- RAW images printable.
- Movies cannot be printed.
- DPOF: Version 1.1 compatible
- Custom Functions: Eight Custom Functions with 24 settings settable
with the camera
- Custom Controls: Not Provided
- My Menu Registration: Up to six top-tier menu options and Custom
Function settings can be registered
- USB Terminal
- For personal computer communication and PictBridge (Hi-Speed USB)
- Audio (stereo)/video (NTSC/PAL) output
- To connect a GP-E2 GPS Receiver
- Video Out Terminal
Type C (Switches automatically to suit the resolution)
Video output: 1080/60i, 1080/50i, 480/60p, 576/50p
* Switches automatically to 1, 2, 3, or 4 to suit the TV
- One Battery Pack LP-E8
* With the AC Adapter Kit ACK-E8, AC power is possible.
* With Battery Grip BG-E8, it is possible to use two Battery Pack LP-E8
- Battery Check:
- Automatic battery level check when power is turned ON.
- Battery level indicated in one of four levels on LCD monitor.
- Power Saving:
- Power turns off after the set time of non-operation elapses
- [Auto power off] settable to 30 sec., 1 min., 2 min., 4 min., 8 min.,
15 min. or disable
- Date/Time Battery: Built-in secondary battery
It is not replaceable by the user. It recharges when LP-E8 is loaded or
when the AC adapter is connected. Without any recharging, the backup battery
can maintain the date/time for approx. 3 months. The backup battery takes
approx. 8 hours to be fully recharged.
- Start-up Time: Approx. 0.1 sec. (Based on CIPA testing standards)
- Working Temperature Range: 32-104°F/0-40°C
- Working Humidity Range: 85% or less
What's In The Box:
- EOS Rebel T5i Body
- Eyecup Ef (Not shown)
- Battery Pack LP-E8
- Battery Charger LC-E8E
- Wide Neck Strap EW-100DB IV
- USB Interface Cable IFC-130U
- EOS Digital Solution Disk & Software Instruction Manual CD
- Camera Instruction Manual (Not shown)
- Width: 5.2"
- Height: 3.9"
- Depth: 3.1"
- Unit: 1.28 oz
- Shipping: 5 lbs
- Manufacturer Warranty (authorized online retailer): One Year Parts
All data are based on Canon's Standard Test Method. Subject to change without
If a problem occurs with a non-Canon lens attached to the camera, consult the
Canon, DIGIC and EOS Rebel are registered trademarks of Canon Inc. in the United
States and may also be registered trademarks or trademarks in other countries.
Microsoft, Windows and Windows Vista are trademarks or registered trademarks
of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries. Mac is
a trademark of Apple, Inc., registered in the United States and other countries.
HDMI, the HDMI logo and High-Definition Multimedia Interface are registered
trademarks or trademarks of HDMI Licensing, LLC in the United States and/or
other countries. All other products and brand names are registered trademarks,
trademarks or service marks of their respective owners in the United States
and/or other countries.