Apple 32GB Space Gray 5th Generation iPod Touch, Model ME978LL/A
You can never have too much fun.
The new iSight camera lets you take your best shots. Facebook integration gives you plenty to post about. (Or you can just ask Siri to post for you.) And, of course, there are endless games to play and endless music to listen to. All on the thinnest, lightest iPod touch ever.
- Brilliant New Design. It's OK to stare. - When you see the new iPod touch for the first time, you won’t believe your eyes. But when you hold it in your hand — that’s when you get how unbelievable it is. It weighs next to nothing, yet it’s no lightweight: It still does all the gaming, surfing, messaging, and everything else you love, more powerfully than ever.
- All-new Apple EarPods - Introducing Apple EarPods. They look unlike anything you’ve seen, and sound unlike anything you’ve heard. They fit comfortably and stay put through all kinds of activity, from your impromptu dancing to your hard-core workout. And the audio quality of Apple EarPods is so incredible, they rival high-end headphones that cost hundreds of dollars more.
- The Loop - The iPod touch loop comes color-matched to your iPod touch, or you can buy other colors separately. It’s a fun new way to keep your iPod touch safe at hand.
- 4-inch Retina Display. Big Fun. - iPod touch now has a bigger, 4-inch Retina display, so all your fun takes on a bigger size. Your hairpin car-racing turns, your dance party playlist, your favorite celeb gossip site — everything is sharp, vivid, and lifelike. And the new display is a perfect widescreen fit for your HD movies and TV shows because now you can watch them all without letterboxing.
- One-handed use - The new iPod touch screen gets taller, but not wider, so you still have complete one-handed control.
- New iSight Camera. Smile. It's the best camera ever on an iPod Touch. - Some moments are just begging for a photo. Your best friend’s bizarro look-alike spotted on the street. An entire wall of graffiti art. A surreal-looking sunset. The iSight camera on iPod touch packs 5 megapixels — seven times more than the previous generation — and takes such great shots, you can ditch your point-and-shoot camera for good.
Advanced optics, tap to focus, an LED flash, and face detection help you get the shot every time. The iSight camera shoots 1080p HD video, and the front camera gets a boost for better FaceTime calls. And you can edit, crop, and enhance your photos right from iPod touch using the Photos app. For more editing options, try iPhoto or iMovie, available in the App Store.
- Panorama - Use the panorama feature on iPod touch to grab a sweeping shot of your favorite city skyline, your graduating class in the bleachers, or your dachshund stretched out at naptime. Just tap the button, move the camera over the scene, and iPod touch seamlessly creates the perfect wide shot.
- Dual-core A5 chip. Power meets play. - It’s the most powerful iPod touch ever. That’s because the dual-core A5 chip provides up to twice the processing power and up to seven times faster graphics than the previous generation. So games are incredibly responsive and realistic. Your samurai swordplay is sharper than ever, your zombie-dodging ultrasmooth. And because the A5 chip isn’t a power hog, you get the same great battery life: up to 40 hours of music or 8 hours of video on a single charge.1 So you can keep on swinging, slicing, and racing. And listening, watching, and browsing.
- Music and video. Up your entertainment quotient. - Every iPod is all about music. But iPod touch is about music and then some. It lets you tote around your entire music and video library for an instant fix of entertainment wherever you are.
- Music and iTunes - The latest song you have on endless repeat. The indie track your friend recommended. That classic rock album your parents loved — and, it turns out, you love too. Your music library is yours alone, and your iPod touch is where it all plays. And with every kind of music on iTunes just a tap away, you can find the perfect song for whatever mood — or room or car — you’re in.
- Video - Movies and TV shows never looked better on iPod touch. Videos play in true widescreen on the 4-inch Retina display. Colors positively pop thanks to 44 percent greater saturation. And if you’re in the mood for that movie your friends can’t stop raving about, head to the iTunes Store, where you can download it right to iPod touch.
- iCloud - When you download your favorite music, apps, movies, TV shows, and books from the iTunes Store to iPod touch, iCloud makes all that content accessible on all your other devices — iPhone, iPad, Mac, or PC — so you never have to connect cables or manually sync to transfer your content.2 It’s easy like that.
- Games and apps. Get ready for the big game. - Fast dual-core performance and sharp graphics make iPod touch the hands-down, thumbs-up, most popular portable gaming device in the world. The App Store features 700,000 apps — including over 100,000 games — many of which are free.3 Boredom, you just got served.
- Game Center
This is where gamers become friends. And friends become foes. Game Center is your social gaming hub, where you create a profile, invite other gamers on your next mission, and claim top-of-the-leaderboards bragging rights. Start a challenge with a random player around the world or with your buddy down the block. Let the schooling begin.
- More from the App Store
Say you want to learn how to speak your name in Russian. Or find out who sings that great song you’re hearing in the store. Or get that photo filter that makes your pics look super vintage-y. Chances are, if you can think of it, you can find it in the App Store. And even if you can’t think of it, you can probably find it in the App Store.
- Built-In Apps. Fully stocked fun. - It’s not just about what’s out there. It’s also about what’s in here. iPod touch comes loaded with lots of powerful built-in apps. Send unlimited texts with iMessage over Wi-Fi. See your friend’s every expression with a FaceTime video call.4 Check your email with Mail, and browse the web with Safari. And iOS 6 adds new stuff to the mix with Siri, Facebook integration, Maps, Passbook, and more.
- 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi (802.11n 2.4GHz and 5GHz)
- Bluetooth 4.0
- Maps: Location-based service4
- Nike+ support built in5
- 4-inch (diagonal) widescreen display with Multi-Touch IPS technology
- Retina display
- 1136-by-640-pixel resolution at 326 pixels per inch
- 800:1 contrast ratio (typical)
- 500 cd/m2 max brightness (typical)
- Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating
Cameras, photos, and video
- 5-megapixel iSight camera
- Tap to focus video or still images
- Backside illumination
- Hybrid IR filter
- Five-element lens
- LED flash
- ƒ/2.4 aperture
- Face detection
- HD video recording (1080p) up to 30 frames per second with audio
- FaceTime HD camera with 1.2MP photos and HD video (720p) up to 30 frames per second
- Video stabilization
- Tap to control exposure for video or stills
- Photo and video geotagging over Wi-Fi
Input and output
- Lightning connector
- 3.5-mm stereo headphone jack
- Built-in speaker
External buttons and connectors
- FaceTime Camera
- On/Off, Sleep/Wake
- Volume Up/Down
- Back Camera
- Loop Holder
Battery and power5
- Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery
- Music playback time: Up to 40 hours when fully charged
- Video playback time: Up to 8 hours when fully charged
- Charging times: Fast charge in about 2 hours (80% capacity), full charge in about 4 hours
- Frequency response: 20Hz to 20,000Hz
- Audio formats supported: AAC (8 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), HE-AAC, MP3 (8 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, 4, Audible Enhanced Audio, AAX, and AAX+), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV
- User-configurable maximum volume limit
TV and video
- H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
- MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
- Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format
- AirPlay Mirroring to Apple TV support at 720p
- AirPlay video streaming to Apple TV (3rd generation) at up to 1080p and Apple TV (2nd generation) at up to 720p
- Three-axis gyro
- Apple ID (required for some features)
- Internet access
- Syncing with iTunes on a Mac or PC requires:
- Mac: OS X v10.6.8 or later
- PC: Windows 7; Windows Vista; or Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 3 or later
- iTunes 10.7 or later7 (free download from www.apple.com/itunes/download)
- Operating ambient temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)
- Nonoperating temperature: -4° to 113° F (-20° to 45° C)
- Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
- Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet (3000 m)
- Language Support
English (U.S.), English (UK), Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Spanish, Arabic, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Portuguese (Brazil), Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Keyboard Support
English (U.S.), English (Australian), English (Canadian), English (UK), Chinese - Simplified (Handwriting, Pinyin, Stroke), Chinese - Traditional (Handwriting, Pinyin, Zhuyin, Cangjie, Stroke), French, French (Canadian), French (Switzerland), German (Germany), German (Switzerland), Italian, Japanese (Romaji, Kana), Korean, Spanish, Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Cherokee, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Emoji, Estonian, Finnish, Flemish, Greek, Hawaiian, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese (Portugal), Portuguese (Brazil), Romanian, Russian, Serbian (Cyrillic/Latin), Slovak, Swedish, Thai, Tibetan, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Dictionary Support
English (U.S.), English (Australian), English (Canadian), English (UK), Chinese - Simplified (Handwriting, Pinyin, Stroke), Chinese - Traditional (Handwriting, Pinyin, Zhuyin, Cangjie, Stroke), French, French (Canadian), French (Switzerland), German (Germany), German (Switzerland), Italian, Japanese (Romaji, Kana), Korean, Spanish, Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Cherokee, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, Flemish, Greek, Hawaiian, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese (Portugal), Portuguese (Brazil), Romanian, Russian, Serbian (Cyrillic/Latin), Slovak, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Siri Languages
English (U.S., UK, Canada, Australia), Spanish (U.S., Mexico, Spain), French (France, Canada, Switzerland), German (Germany, Switzerland), Italian (Italy, Switzerland), Japanese, Korean, Mandarin (Mainland China, Taiwan), Cantonese (Hong Kong)
What's In The Box:
- iPod touch
- iPod touch loop
- Apple EarPods
- Lightning to USB cable
- Quick Start guide
- Unit: 0.19 lbs
- Shipping: 2 lbs
- Height: 4.86"
- Width: 2.31"
- App count refers to the total number of apps worldwide.
- Siri is available on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad (3rd generation), and iPod touch (5th generation) and requires Internet access. Cellular data charges may apply.
- Flyover and turn-by-turn navigation are available only on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad 2 or later, and iPod touch (5th generation). Cellular data charges may apply.
- FaceTime video calling requires a FaceTime-enabled device for the caller and recipient and a Wi-Fi connection. FaceTime over a cellular network requires iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, or iPad (3rd generation) with cellular data capability. Availability over a cellular network depends on carrier policies; data charges may apply.
- Messages may be sent as SMS when iMessage is unavailable; carrier messaging fees apply.
- AirPlay is compatible with the second-generation Apple TV or later. AirPlay Mirroring is available with iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad 2 or later, and iPod touch (5th generation).
- iCloud requires iOS 5 or later on iPhone 3GS or later, iPod touch (3rd generation or later), or iPad; a Mac computer with OS X Lion or later; or a PC with Windows Vista or Windows 7 (Outlook 2007 or 2010 or an up-to-date browser is required for accessing email, contacts, and calendars). Some features require iOS 6 and OS X Mountain Lion. Some features require a Wi-Fi connection. Some features are not available in all countries. Access to some services is limited to 10 devices.