Bowers & Wilkins 600 Series Black 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers, Model 686S2 (Sold As Pair)
Small is beautiful. The 686 S2 is the most compact speaker in the series, but don’t underestimate its power and precision. That's thanks to a new Decoupled Double Dome tweeter and improved design.
An ideal bookshelf or wall-mounted speaker, the 686 S2 is designed to fit into any space and still sound perfect. Its main driver is a 5-inch bass/midrange unit which benefits from a new 25mm voice coil which makes for a higher sensitivity speaker with bass more suited for placement near a wall.
Bass performance is vital but can often suffer in smaller speakers. Not in the 686 S2, however. That's because a front-firing Flowport, dimpled like a golf ball around the aperture for smoothly regulated airflow, delivers superior bass response without the risk of rattle. Its placement ensures the speaker cabinet is slimmer than predecessors and can be wall mounted without affecting performance.
Like the rest of the range, and despite its smaller size, the 686 S2 also features a Decoupled Double Dome aluminium tweeter for superior high-frequency response. The 686 S2 even features a built-in bracket for easy wall mounting, although this small, versatile and precise speaker sounds great anywhere.
- Woven Kevlar: Yes
- Crossover Tuning: Yes
- Nautilius Tapering Tube: Yes
- Flowport: Yes
- Technical Features
- Decoupled Double Dome aluminium tweeter with Nautilus™ tube loading
- Description: 2-way vented-box system
- Drive Units
- 1 x ø25mm (1 in) aluminium dome high-frequency
- 1x ø130mm (5 in) woven Kevlar® cone bass/midrange
- Frequency Range: -6dB at 54Hz and 50kHz
- Frequency Response: 62Hz - 22kHz ±3dB on reference axis
- Within 2dB of reference response
- Horizontal: over 60º arc
- Vertical: over 10º arc
- Sensitivity: (84)85dB spl (2.83V, 1m)
- Harmonic Distortion
- 2nd and 3rd harmonics (90dB, 1m)
- <1% 110Hz - 22kHz
- <0.5% 180Hz - 20kHz
- Nominal Impedance: 8Ω (minimum 5.2Ω)
- Crossover Frequencies: 4kHz
- Recommended amplifer: 25W - 100W into 8Ω on unclipped programme
- Max. recommended cable impedance: 0.1Ω
- Finish: Black
- Height: 12.4"
- Width: 6.39"
- Depth: 9"
- Unit: 10.1 lb
- Shipping: 12 lbs