Bowers & Wilkins 600 Series Black Ash 3-Way Floorstanding Speaker, Model 683S2 (Sold As Each)
The largest speaker in the 600 Series. This floorstander is ideal for audiophile stereo and home theatre applications in larger rooms, delivering serious performance and amazing value.
The 683 S2 features a Decoupled Double Dome tweeter - technology evolved from Bowers & Wilkins CM10 speaker. The double dome design uses an extremely thin aluminium dome for lightness, surrounded by a thicker aluminium ring for rigidity. The result is a far more precise treble performance. And while the tweeter looks like it’s part of the main speaker, it’s physically separated in its own gel-filled cavity, so performance isn’t hit by unwanted resonances or vibrations, for a more natural, spacious sound.
Serious and accurate bass performance is equally vital to such a room-filling speaker. That’s why the 683 S2 features a new bass driver construction method, using a similar method of bracing to the tweeter with twin layers of aluminium. The richer, distortion-free bass response is sumptuous.
As well as new bass driver construction techniques and a new tweeter, brought in from Bower & Wilkins high-end series, the 683 S2 also boasts an FST Kevlar midrange driver. Serious technology, serious performance, but seriously affordable for a speaker of this calibre.
- Woven Kevlar: Yes
- Crossover Tuning: Yes
- Nautilius Tapering Tube: Yes
- Flowport: Yes
- Mushrooms: Yes
- FST: Yes
- Technical Features
- Decoupled Double Dome aluminium tweeter with Nautilus™ tube loading
- Kevlar® brand fibre cone FST midrange driver
- Dual-layer aluminium cone bass driver
- Description: 3-way vented-box system
- Drive Units
- 1 x ø25mm (1 in) aluminium dome high-frequency
- 1x ø150mm (6 in) woven Kevlar® cone FST™ midrange
- 2x ø165mm (6.5 in) aluminium cone bass
- Frequency Range: -6dB at 30Hz and 50kHz
- Frequency Response: 52Hz - 22kHz ±3dB on reference axis
- Within 2dB of reference response
- Horizontal: over 60º arc
- Vertical: over 10º arc
- Sensitivity: 89dB spl (2.83V, 1m)
- Harmonic Distortion
- 2nd and 3rd harmonics (90dB, 1m)
- <1% 95Hz - 22kHz
- <0.5% 120Hz - 20kHz
- Nominal Impedance: 8Ω (minimum 3.0Ω)
- Crossover Frequencies: 400Hz, 4kHz
- Recommended amplifer: 25W - 200W into 8Ω on unclipped programme
- Max. recommended cable impedance: 0.1Ω
- Finish: Black Ash
- Height: 38.8"
- Width: 7.5"
- Depth: 14.3"
- Unit: 59.7 lb
- Shipping: 63 lbs