Canon PowerShot SX600 HS Black 16.0 Megapixel Digital Camera, Model SX600HSBK
Powerful Zoom to Go
The PowerShot SX600 HS camera takes you up on the stage, down on the field or anywhere a great shot is happening! That's because tucked into its super-slim 1.02-inch profile is an astonishing feat of engineering: a high-powered 18x Optical Zoom. With a zoom this big in a camera this small, you'll be ready to capture all the moments that matter, whenever and wherever they happen. And built-in Wi-Fi® lets you share the fun with friends and family right away – transfer images and video directly to select social networking sites, mobile devices* and your computer. You can even use the camera for remote capture with your smartphone or tablet**, and simply touch to a compatible Android™ device*** using built-in NFC (Near Field Communication) for easy wireless connectivity. You'll also capture stunningly realistic 1080p Full HD video, and use Hybrid Auto to automatically create an exciting highlight reel of an entire day's fun from quick video clips taken before each still. Ideal for the busy photographer looking to travel light, the PowerShot SX600 HS is the camera to slip into your pocket.
- 18x Optical Zoom (25-450mm) helps ensure outstanding optical performance and versatility
The powerful 18x Optical Zoom range (35mm equivalent: 25–450mm) on the PowerShot SX600 HS is ideal for capturing memories of kids' achievements on the sporting field, recitals, plays and concerts – all those times when your access to the action is limited. From landscapes and wildlife to city scenes and more, this camera has you covered – all while fitting in your pocket. Zooming action is quick and precise, and genuine Canon optics help ensure brilliant clarity. Chromatic aberration is compensated across the entire range, and the lens's high optical resolving power works with the camera's high-resolution sensor and advanced image stabilization systems to produce clear, sharp, beautifully detailed images at any zoom length.
- Built-in Wi-Fi makes sharing quick and easy
The PowerShot SX600 HS camera is equipped with built-in Wi-Fi® technology for on-the-go convenience when you want to share your photos and videos with friends, family and the whole world. The camera can connect directly to both iOS® and Android™ devices*, and upload images via the free Canon CameraWindow app** without a computer. Easily post your images to social networking and media sites – Facebook®, Twitter®, YouTube™, Flickr® and now Google Drive™ – through CANON iMAGE GATEWAY# or save them to the online photo album to share anytime, anywhere. You can control the destination of your uploads to share with everyone or to selected groups, and even add comments. Sharing video is also easy with the PowerShot SX600 HS, which records video using the easy-to-share MP4 format. Enhanced Wi-Fi®makes posting in real time possible, so you can keep everyone up to date with photos and video even as events unfold. The built-in Wi-Fi® technology on the PowerShot SX600 HS also allows you to transfer images to other Wi-Fi® equipped PowerShot cameras or print your photos directly to a PictBridge (Wireless LAN) certified printer. One-touch connection to your mobile device or computer is made possible on the PowerShot SX600 HS with the camera's dedicated Mobile Device Connect Button. You can choose to transfer images to your smartphone or tablet for immediate sharing with the CameraWindow app**, or to your computer on the same network with Image Sync to make saving and organizing your images easier. When the camera finds a linked computer on the same wireless network, images are sent directly to it. Otherwise, images are temporarily stored on CANON iMAGE GATEWAY# then transferred once a connection is made, eliminating the need for cables.
- Remote Shooting
With the built-in Wi-Fi® on the PowerShot SX600 HS, you can use your smartphone or tablet* to remotely control the camera. Simply connect wirelessly to your device and access the free Canon CameraWindow app**. Your device will show a live image of the camera's capture – perfect for a commemorative group photo, wildlife shots and all kinds of situations. The camera's versatile 18x Optical Zoom, flash, self-timer and shutter are all under your control, with images being saved to your camera as usual.
- Built-in NFC (Near Field Communitication) for easier Wi-Fi connectivity
The PowerShot SX600 HS camera supports NFC (Near Field Communication) technology, eliminating the need to find and open the Canon CameraWindow app* on your mobile device. Simply touch the NFC icon on your camera to your compatible Android device**, and the CameraWindow app will launch automatically for quick, easy sharing of your images. Built-in NFC technology also makes it simpler to install the app. If the app hasn't been installed yet, once you touch the devices together for the first time, the download screen will display automatically.
- Creative Shot mode
In addition to the versatile power of its amazing 18x Optical Zoom, the PowerShot SX600 HS also turns out impressive artistic photos with Creative Shot mode. Rather than randomly applying filters, Creative Shot mode takes advantage of advanced Canon technologies to analyze the individual scene, subject and exposure to apply any of 46 filter options. In addition to the original shot, the camera automatically produces and saves five additional variations of the composition. Filter choices are grouped into Retro, Monochrome, Special and Natural categories to make exploring the world of artistic photography fun and easy, or simply select Auto to access the full range of effects. With Creative Shot mode, the result is stunning artistic photos that are perfect for sharing.
- 16.0 Megapixel High-Sensitivity CMOS sensor
The PowerShot SX600 HS camera's 16.0 Megapixel High-Sensitivity CMOS sensor is the highest resolution CMOS sensor used in any PowerShot camera. The difference this makes in your everyday photography is remarkable. The large sensor takes in more light, so images are clear and beautifully detailed. High ISO shots are particularly impressive, with less noise and expanded dynamic range. And the 16.0 Megapixel resolution gives you the flexibility to be more creative with your shots: crop and enlarge any part of an image – you can be confident that the detail and resolution you need are there.
- DIGIC 4+ Image Processor
The new Canon DIGIC 4+ Image Processor powers the PowerShot SX600 HS camera's advanced functions and capabilities, including Hybrid Auto, Creative Shot, and Full HD video shooting at 30p in the easy-to-share MP4 format. Its accelerated processing speed creates fast, responsive performance, for a shooting experience that's easy and natural. The DIGIC 4+ Image Processor also enhances image quality in several ways. Processing of high ISO shots has been shortened by 60% compared to the DIGIC 4 Image Processor. This significantly reduces noise for brilliant color, smooth gradations, and beautiful detail even in low light. The processor also allows for the integration of electronic Dynamic IS. This advanced system compensates for multiple motion types, effectively preventing angular blur, shift blur, and blur caused by parallel movement and tilt shift. The result is images that are reliably sharp and clear at all lengths of the camera's powerful zoom. The processor's highly efficient design also extends battery life.
- Canon HS SYSTEM helps provide excellent low-light performance
The slim, compact PowerShot SX600 HS gives you the power to capture beautifully detailed, naturally lit images even in low light – reducing the need for flash and the occasionally unwelcome effects it produces. That's because the camera's 16.0 Megapixel High-Sensitivity CMOS sensor works with the camera's new DIGIC 4+ Image Processor to create the Canon HS SYSTEM, specifically engineered for spectacular low-light performance. With the Canon HS SYSTEM, you'll experience excellent tracking performance even in low light, and achieve gorgeous still image quality at ISO speeds up to ISO 3200; beautiful low-light shots are possible with minimal noise and maximum detail in highlight and shadow areas.
- Capture Stunning 1080p Full HD video with a dedicated movie button
The PowerShot SX600 HS not only preserves your special video memories with spectacular realism, but does it in a format that makes them easy to share. You can simply press the dedicated movie button to start and stop video recording, so you're always ready to capture the moment as it happens. The camera records in stunningly realistic 1080p Full HD, so even when played back on a big-screen HDTV, your videos are crystal clear, with smooth action and beautifully natural color. Thanks to the advanced DIGIC 4+ Image Processor, video can be captured at 30 frames per second in MP4 format. MP4 videos are perfectly sized for quick online sharing – whether you're showing relatives what the kids are up to or posting status updates on social networking sites.
- Mobile Device Connect Button
It's now easier than ever to connect your PowerShot SX600 HS camera to an iOS® or Android™ device* using the Mobile Device Connect Button. The button allows you to choose to transfer images to your smartphone or tablet for immediate sharing with the CameraWindow app**, or to your computer on the same network with Image Sync to make saving and organizing your images easier. Once your device is registered on the camera, simply press the Mobile Device Connect button for easy connection. By connecting to a smartphone with the CameraWindow app using the Mobile Device Connect Button, you can browse and share images while still leaving the camera inside a bag. It is also possible to turn off the PowerShot SX600 HS quickly and easily, directly from a smartphone. Once your camera is linked to your computer on the same wireless network, you can automatically transfer images to it, for easy saving and organizing of your photos. The Mobile Device Connect Button is great for quick and easy sharing from a fun day out with friends and family.
- Hybrid Auto
The PowerShot SX600 HS camera features Hybrid Auto, which records up to four seconds of video every time you shoot a still image, then automatically joins the clips and pictures* into a video that captures the essence of special days: vacations, important occasions, or any time you're shooting many shots in a day. With Hybrid Auto, this "highlight reel" is stunningly beautiful. Hybrid Auto automatically recognizes the scene and optimizes camera settings to capture the highest possible image quality. The resulting 720p HD video is properly exposed, crisp and steady.
- Smart AUTO
Sophisticated Canon technology that makes getting that great shot as simple as pressing the shutter button, Smart AUTO automatically detects scenes by assessing various factors in both the background and the subject. On the PowerShot SX600 HS, detected scenes are analyzed using 32 predefined shooting situations. The camera then makes optimal settings to ensure the best possible image capture, whether you're shooting stills or video. Smart AUTO also includes Advanced Subject Detection, which allows the camera to detect and track non-human moving subjects like animals and vehicles. With Smart AUTO, all you have to do is frame your shot and capture away.
- Intelligent IS
It's easy to capture clear, steady images with the PowerShot SX600 HS, even in low light without using a tripod. That's because the camera is equipped with Canon's innovative Intelligent IS. The system automatically analyzes camera movement and applies the best shake correction method for the shooting situation – allowing you to focus on framing and capturing your shot. For stills, the system selects from Normal IS, Panning IS, Macro (Hybrid) IS and Tripod modes. When shooting video, the system selects from Dynamic IS, Powered IS, Macro (Hybrid) IS and active Tripod IS modes. New icons clearly mark the image stabilization mode, whether you?re shooting still images or video.
- ECO Mode
The PowerShot SX600 HS features ECO Mode, which provides more shots per single charge through LCD monitor and camera power management. ECO Mode can be activated for easy power preservation when an outlet is unavailable or the moment is too exciting to put the camera down. The mode quickly wakes the camera from sleep when a button is pressed. With ECO Mode activated to conserve power, you can even stay connected for longer with the built-in Wi-Fi® featured on the camera. When the fun with family and friends runs late into the night, you can be assured your camera can keep up.
- Easily Print Your Favorite Moments
It's quick and easy to make beautiful prints from your PowerShot camera. With the built-in Wi-Fi® on your PowerShot camera, it's easy to send your images to a PictBridge (Wireless LAN) compatible printer. Or use the Direct Print system; simply connect your PowerShot SX600 HS camera to a Canon PIXMA or SELPHY photo printer with a USB cable and press the button to print. Easily turn every favorite moment into an amazing photo.
- Available in 31 Languages
There are now a total of 31 display languages from which you can choose: English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Finnish, Hebrew, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Simplified/Traditional Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Portuguese, Korean, Greek, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Turkish, Thai, Arabic, Romanian, Ukrainian, Farsi, Hindi, Malay, Indonesian and Vietnamese.
Image Capture Device
- Type: 16.0 Megapixel, 1/2.3-inch CMOS
- Total Pixels: Approx. 16.8 Megapixels
- Effective Pixels: Approx. 16.0 Megapixels
- Focal Length: 4.5 (W) - 81.0 (T) mm (35mm film equivalent: 25-450mm)
- Digital Zoom: 4.0x
- Focusing Range
- Normal: 2.0 in. (5cm) - infinity (W), 3.3 ft. (1m) - infinity (T)
- Macro: 2.0 in. - 1.6 ft. (5-50cm) (W)
- Infinity: 9.8 ft. (3m) - infinity (W, T)
- Autofocus System: TTL Autofocus, Manual Focus
- LCD Monitor: 3.0-inch TFT color LCD with wide viewing angle
- LCD Pixels: Approx. 461,000 dots
- LCD Coverage: Approx. 100%
Aperture and Shutter
- Maximum Aperture: f/3.8 (W), f/6.9 (T)
- Shutter Speed
- 1-1/2000 sec.
- 15-1/2000 sec. (Total shutter speed range)
- Auto, ISO 100-3200
- Available in 1-step increments
- Light Metering Method: Evaluative*, Center-weighted average, Spot**
- * Facial brightness is evaluated in Face Detection AF
- ** Metering frame is fixed to the center
- Exposure Control Method: Manual Exposure, Program Shift, Safety Shift, AE Lock
- Exposure Compensation
- Still Images: ±2 stops in 1/3-stop increments
- Videos: ±2 stops in 1/3-stop increments (not available during shooting)
- White Balance Control: Auto*, Daylight, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H, Custom
- * Camera automatically sets the optimal ISO speed according to shooting mode.
- Built-in Flash
- Auto, On, Slow Synchro, Off
- Facial brightness is also evaluated in Face Detect.
- Flash Range: 1.6 - 11 ft. (W), 3.3 - 6.6 ft. (T) / (50cm - 3.5m (W), 1.0 - 2.0m (T))
- Image brightness may diminish depending on the shooting distance
- Recycling Time: 10 sec. or less (battery voltage: 3.7 V)
- Flash Exposure Compensation: ±2 stops in 1/3 increments
- Shooting Modes: Auto, Hybrid Auto, P, Creative Shot1, Portrait, Smart Shutter2, High-Speed Burst, Handheld Night Scene, Low Light, Fisheye Effect, Miniature Effect, Toy Camera Effect, Monochrome, Super Vivid, Poster Effect, Snow, Fireworks, Long Shutter
- *1 Auto, Retro, Monochrome, Special and Natural effects
- *2 Smile, Wink Self-timer, Face Self-timer
- Shooting movies is possible with the movie button
- Photo Effects: My Colors Off, Vivid, Neutral, Sepia, Black & White, Positive Film, Lighter Skin Tone, Darker Skin Tone, Vivid Blue, Vivid Green, Vivid Red, Custom Color *
- *Adjustment of contrast, sharpness, saturation, red, green, blue and
skin tone are available
- Self Timer: Approx. 10-sec. delay/approx. 2-sec. delay, custom*
- *Delay time (0-15 sec. (in one-second increments), 20/25/30 sec.) and number of shots (1-10 shots (in one-shot increments)) can be specified.
- Continuous Shooting
- Normal: Approx. 3.9 shots/sec. (in P mode)
- Normal: Approx. 10.5 shots/sec. (in High-speed Burst mode)
- Under conditions where the flash does not fire automatically.
- Differs depending on the zoom position.
- Storage Media: SD Memory Card, SDHC Memory Card, SDXC Memory Card
- File Format: Design rule for Camera File system, DPOF (Version 1.1) compliant
- Image Recording Format: Superfine / Fine
- JPEG Compression Mode
- Still Image: Exif 2.3 JPEG
- Video: MP4 (Image: H.264; Audio: MPEG-4 AAC-LC (Monaural))
- Number of Recording Pixels
- Still Images
- 16:9 - Large: 4608 x 2592; Medium 1: 3264 x 1832; Medium 2: 1920 x 1080; Small: 640 x 360
- 3:2 - Large: 4608 x 3072; Medium 1: 3264 x 2176; Medium 2: 2048 x 1368; Small: 640 x 424
- 4:3 - Large: 4608 x 3456; Medium 1: 3264 x 2448; Medium 2: 2048 x 1536; Small: 640 x 4800
- 1:1 - Large: 3456 x 3456; Medium 1: 2448 x 2448; Medium 2: 1536 x 1536; Small: 480 x 480
- Full HD 1920 x 1280: 30 fps (29.97)
- HD 1280 x 720: 30 fps (29.97)
- Miniature Effect HD 1280 x 720: 6 fps / 3 fps / 1.5 fps
- Miniature Effect 640 x 480: 6 fps / 3 fps / 1.5 fps
- 640 x 480: 30 fps (29.97)
Number of Recordable Images
|File Size (KB)
||File Size (KB)
||File Size (KB)
|File Size (KB)
Note: SF=Superfine / F=Fine
* When in Low Light.
• The approximate number of images recordable on memory cards other than the above can be calculated by using the above figures as a reference and extrapolating accordingly.
Time of Recordable Movies
|HD: 1280 x 720
||640 x 480
|Movie Size (KB/sec.)
||10 hr. 14 min. 16 sec.
||19 hr. 44 min. 05 sec.
||36 hrs. 39 min. 02 sec.
||23 hrs. 42 min. 12 sec.
||43 hrs. 36 min. 51 sec.
||75 hrs. 11 min. 50 sec.
||41 hrs. 21 min. 31 sec.
||79 hrs. 43 min. 23 sec.
||148 hr. 03 min. 26 sec.
||95 hrs. 45 min. 15 sec.
||176 hrs. 11 min. 17 sec.
||303 hrs. 46 min. 22 sec.
|Full HD: 1920 x 1280
||HD: 1280 x 720
||640 x 480
|Movie Size (KB/sec.)
||34 min. 38 sec.
||2 hrs. 00 min. 15 sec.
||4 hrs. 15 min. 32 sec.
||2 hrs. 19 min. 56 sec.
||8 hrs. 05 min. 48 sec.
||17 hrs. 12 min. 20 sec.
*1 Playback frame rate is 30 fps*2.
*2 Actual frame rate is 29.97 fps.
- Playback Modes File
- Stills & Videos: Auto Rotate (Automatic vertical/horizontal detection), Image Advance (Transition Effects, Scroll Display), Rotate, Favorites, Smart Shuffle, Group Playback, Slideshow (Repeat, Interval, Effect)
- Still Images: Single, Index (6-100 thumbnails), Magnification (2-10x), Information Display, Red-eye Correction, i-Contrast, Resize, My Colors, Histogram, Overexposure Warning
- Videos: Normal Playback*1, Skip Backward*2, Previous Frame*3, Next Frame*3, Skip Forward*2
- *1 Audio settings available in 5 levels *2 Approximately 4 seconds *3 Slow motion available
- Displays playback position and shooting time
- Erase Modes: Select Image, Select Range, Select All Images
- The image data in the memory card stored with the Design rule for Camera
File systems format can be erased (however, protected images cannot be
- Using the Movie editing function, sections of the movie can be deleted.
- Video Out: NTSC/PAL (dedicated connector (female) with unified type of digital, audio and video); HDMI connector (D-type)
- Audio Out: Monaural (dedicated connector (female) with unified type of digital, audio and video)
- Other: SD memory card slot; direct connection to Canon SELPHY, PIXMA Photo Printers & PictBridge compatible printers
- Power Source: Battery Pack NB-6L/NB-6LH, AC Adapter Kit ACK-40
- Shooting Capacity
- Approx. 290 shots
- Approx. 430 shots in ECO Mode
- Playback Time: Approx. 5 hours
- Operating Temperature: 32-104°F/0-40°C
- Operating Humidity: 10-90%
What's In The Box:
- PowerShot SX600 HS Digital Camera
- Battery Pack NB-6LH
- Battery Charger CB-2LY
- Wrist Strap WS-800
- Height: 2.40"
- Width: 4.09"
- Depth: 1.02"
- Unit: 0.5 lbs
- Shipping: 2 lbs
- Manufacturer Warranty (authorized online retailer): One Year Limited Parts
- Extended Service Warranty Available: Click the warranty tab above
- * Compatible with iOS versions 6.0/6.1/7.0, Android smartphone versions 2.3.3/4.0/4.1/4.2/4.3 and Android tablet versions 4.0/4.1/4.2/4.3. Data charges may apply.
- ** With the download of the free Canon CameraWindow app. This software enables you to upload images to social network services. Before uploading images, please be aware that image files may contain privacy related information such as people and places. If necessary, please delete such information. Canon does not obtain, collect or use such images or any information included in such images through this software.
- *** Compatible with Android devices version 4.0 or later.
- † Prices and specifications subject to change without notice. Actual prices are determined by individual dealers and may vary.
- ** This software enables you to upload images to social network services. Before uploading images, please be aware that image files may contain privacy related information such as people and places. If necessary, please delete such information. Canon does not obtain, collect or use such images or any information included in such images through this software.
- # One-time registration is required on CANON iMAGE GATEWAY online photo album.
- * This software enables you to upload images to social network services. Before uploading images, please be aware that image files may contain privacy related information such as people and places. If necessary, please delete such information. Canon does not obtain, collect or use such images or any information included in such images through this software.
- *Compatible with iOS versions 6.0/6.1/7.0, Android smartphone versions 2.3.3/4.0/4.1/4.2/4.3 and Android tablet versions 4.0/4.1/4.2/4.3. Data charges may apply.
- * Pictures can be withheld from the resulting video via menu settings.