Canon VIXIA HF R52 Black High Definition Digital Camcorder - HFR52
Compact, easy, and powerfully equipped with built-in Wi-Fi®, the VIXIA HF R52 is all the camcorder you need to preserve and share special moments both big and small. With the mega-sized 57x Advanced Zoom, you'll capture great shots from anywhere without intruding on the action. At the long end of the zoom, and even when you're shooting while walking, the camcorder's SuperRange Optical Image Stabilizer helps ensure steady video with beautiful clarity. The 3.28 Megapixel Full HD CMOS Image Sensor and DIGIC DV 4 Image Processor capture bright, sharp 1920 x 1080 Full HD video that will take your breath away. Record up to 12 hours of video on the 32GB internal flash drive, and enjoy extra storage capacity by recording directly to a removable SD card. Improved built-in Wi-Fi®* with the new CameraAccess plus app makes it easier than ever to share recorded video or live stream it on your Android™ or iOS® device**, and even control the camcorder remotely. And now, whether you're at home or away, you can use Wi-Fi® and your mobile device to remotely monitor a wide 200° area by connecting the VIXIA HF R52 to the optional new Camera Pan Table. Experience blur-free 1080/60p recording in MP4 (35 Mbps), and AVCHD Progressive (28 Mbps) that captures children, pets and other moving subjects with smooth, precise definition; Dual Recording lets you record in both formats simultaneously, and built-in downconversion creates easy-to-share MP4 files for the web. Advanced Baby Mode is a must for parents, making it super easy to capture the daily growth and development of up to three children, and automatically achieve the best quality in any situation without fussing with settings. Controlling the camcorder is fast and fun with an intuitive interface and 3.0-inch capacitive touch panel LCD, and a high capacity battery pack lets the memory-making go on and on.
Steady Shooting Through a Mega Zoom Range
- 57x Advanced Zoom
You won't miss any of the action when shooting video with the VIXIA HF R52 camcorder and its impressive 57x Advanced Zoom range. Long-range shooting allows you to create videos with dynamic variety, and is less likely to disrupt the action you're shooting. It's perfect for formal ceremonies, animals in the wild, candid family videos and more. Advanced Zoom, available in manual mode, has been achieved with more efficient use of the effective imaging area. It takes the camcorder's telephoto power from 32.5mm all the way to 1,853mm (35mm equivalent) for extraordinary flexibility in shooting. For more convenient shooting and better creative control over your videos, the camcorder offers continually variable Zoom Speed settings, with 15 levels available.
- SuperRange Optical Image Stabilization
Canon's sophisticated SuperRange Optical Image Stabilizer corrects camera shake instantly, so even handheld video taken at long focal lengths is sharp and steady. Providing continuous adjustment throughout the entire zoom range to correct a broad range of motion, with extra compensation applied at wide-angle focal lengths, the Dynamic Image Stabilization system on the VIXIA HF R52 stabilizes rotational camera shake. Controlling rotational camera shake – horizontal, vertical and roll axis – ensures smooth, distortion-free video, even when you're walking while shooting.
Exceptionally Lifelike Image Quality
- 3.28 Megapixel Full HD CMOS Image Sensor
The VIXIA HF R52 camcorder is equipped with a 3.28 Megapixel Full HD CMOS Image Sensor to capture your memories in true 1920 x 1080 resolution. Canon's advanced, high-resolution HD CMOS Image Sensor features extra sensitivity that delivers beautifully lifelike Full HD video with natural color, even in low light. On-chip noise reduction brings bright clarity to every frame. Video is rich, clear and amazingly detailed anywhere you view it, even when played back on a large HDTV.
Advanced Technology Delivers Exceptional Clarity
- DIGIC DV 4 Image Processor
The VIXIA HF R52 incorporates the latest and most advanced Canon HD Image Processor, the DIGIC DV 4 Image Processor, for exceptional imaging performance. The DIGIC DV 4 Image Processor captures more light, for brighter, noise-free images even in dark scenes. Dramatically increased processing power lets you record in both AVCHD and easy-to-share MP4 formats simultaneously with the VIXIA HF R52 camcorder's Dual Recording. It also enables the built-in transcoding from AVCHD to MP4.
Recording Options Mean You'll Never Miss a Minute of Great Video
- Record to Internal Flash Drive or SD Memory Card
The camcorder's internal 32GB Flash Drive holds up to 12 hours of crisp, high-definition video safely and securely. With no moving parts, flash memory technology is perfectly able to withstand camcorder jolts or drops. You can also record to a removable SD memory card, making it easy to share your video with friends and family. Conveniently sized and readily available, SD cards give you up to 64GB (24 hours) of recording capacity for a combined capacity of 96GB or 36 hours. For added flexibility, you can even backup your video directly to an external hard drive by using the optional UA-100 USB Adapter.
Capture Moving Subjects Crisp and Clear
- MP4 (35 Mbps) or AVCHD Progressive (28 Mbps) Recording
The VIXIA HF R52 gives you the highest quality recording, whether you're capturing MP4 or AVCHD files. 1080/60p recording captures twice the amount of information as 60i, and with images captured at a rate of 60 frames per second, diagonal noise is eliminated so even fast moving subjects show up crisply with motion and patterns clearly recorded. This greater sense of detail and faithful rendering of moving edges, plus enhanced color and fine tonal gradation, gives your video everything Full HD has to offer. AVCHD Progressive records at a bit rate of 28 Mbps, which is the highest in the AVCHD standard, and MP4 files are captured at a bit rate of 35 Mbps, so regardless of the format you're shooting or viewing, image quality is as high as can be.
Own the Freedom of Wireless Technology
- Built-in Wi-Fi®
Built-in Wi-Fi® technology on the VIXIA HF R52 lets you share your HD video with friends and family anytime, anywhere. Connect with compatible home networks, wireless hotspots, and iOS® mobile devices using the free Canon Movie Uploader app*. Videos and photos can be easily shared over the internet with a free registration on CANON iMAGE GATEWAY# – an online photo storage service that lets you upload to social networking sites. And now you can use your PC to browse remotely through the previously shot videos stored on your camcorder, without connecting a cable††. The Remote Browse function uses a standard Web browser and does not require a special app.
Live Stream Anywhere You Go
- Live Streaming
Stream video from your camcorder wherever you are – at home, at the office or away on vacation – with the improved Live Streaming on the VIXIA HF R52 camcorder. It is possible to receive the live video and sound that your camcorder is recording from a remote location on your iOS® or Android™ device not only when you're on the same wireless network but over the internet too! With the new CameraAccess plus app†, you can use your smartphone or tablet to monitor babies and pets, capture wildlife videos remotely without disturbing the scene, create perfect self-videos and lots more, anywhere you're wirelessly connected. You can also remotely control camcorder functions including start/stop and zoom, and even access information about remaining battery charge, recordable time, zoom position and more.
Monitor From Wherever You Are
- Compatibility with Camera Pan Table CT-V1
The VIXIA HF R52 camcorder is compatible with an exciting new optional accessory that you can control with your mobile device† – Camera Pan Table CT-V1. With your Wi-Fi® enabled camcorder mounted on the Camera Pan Table CT-V1, you can remotely monitor a viewing range of approximately 200 degrees with your smart device**. Using the improved Live Streaming of the VIXIA HF R52 camcorder, panning and recording can be powered by the pan table, or controlled remotely over the internet and the new CameraAccess plus app. Flexibly designed to plug into an outlet or run on AA batteries, it also powers your camcorder. An energy-efficient stand-by mode awaits your command so you never need to worry about wasting or running out of power. With enough range to span two rooms, it's easy to check on pets or children while you're away for the day, monitor your home while you're on vacation and more
Choose the Recording Format to Fit the Situation
- The Right Format for Any Use
Dual Recording and built-in transcoding ensure that no matter how you decide to use the video you've recorded, you'll have the right format available. Using the power of the DIGIC DV 4 Image Processor, the VIXIA HF R52 camcorder can simultaneously record video to internal memory in AVCHD format, and to an SD card in MP4 format^. The widely used MP4 format provides quick, conversion-free playback on tablets and smartphones, and lets you upload videos directly to social networking sites for easy sharing with friends, family and the world. AVCHD is perfect for watching videos on an HDTV or archiving them to Blu-ray discs. The camcorder also has a built-in transcoding function that converts AVCHD files to MP4s, or from MP4 to MP4 across memory media, making them easy to upload to the Web or save to an SD card.
Intuitive Control with Capacitive Touch
- 3.0-inch Capacitive Touch Panel LCD
The VIXIA HF R52 features a 3.0-inch Capacitive Touch Panel LCD screen, making shooting and other operations easy. Simply open the panel and the power is on. The display is clear and vivid, and just as with your smartphone or tablet, a gentle touch activates intuitive functions. Choose a focal point, track moving subjects, control exposure for selected areas, and operate camcorder controls from the screen, all with a simple touch. In addition, the easy-to-use user interface makes your shooting experience simpler and more fun. The Home button is on the menu screen, and provides quick access to all functions. Clear explanations for key settings pop up when selecting shooting modes and recording formats, so you can be confident in the decisions you make.
The Easiest Way to Capture, Track and Share Your Baby's Development
- Baby Mode
A complete solution for capturing, tracking, organizing and sharing every precious moment of your baby's development, Baby Mode on the VIXIA HF R52 camcorder has been advanced to allow you to follow the growth of up to three children. A custom control button on the shooting screen activates the mode, and optimal settings for the shooting conditions, including Intelligent IS and more, are automatically selected. Simply pick up the camcorder and start recording, knowing capture will be of the highest quality. Videos shot in Baby Mode are automatically saved into a dedicated Baby Album so they'll never get lost among your other videos. You can then view the Baby Album chronologically for a seamless way to relive and share your baby's growth with friends and relatives.
When you're shooting in Baby Mode, the camcorder's Pre-Record (Pre REC) function is always on. This places the camcorder in a stand-by “pre-roll” mode, where it continuously records three seconds of video to memory before you even press the record button. When you start recording, the additional video is recorded too, so it's easier than ever to capture the baby's “firsts” and every special moment.
Touch Decoration in Baby Mode includes stamps to mark each video with your baby's current height and weight. And with a single registration of the baby's birth date, the camcorder will automatically calculate the number of days old and stamp videos accordingly, creating an exact diary of developmental milestones for years to come. The number of decorations has been vastly increased on the VIXIA HF R52 so it's even easier to make a fun video commemorating your baby's special moments. The camcorder's other Touch Decoration options, including your own drawings, captions, animations and more, are fully available in Baby Mode, and all can easily be appended to previously shot video as well.
More Shooting Time with Every Charge
- High Capacity Battery
The VIXIA HF R52 is powered by a high capacity battery pack. The rechargeable lithium-ion battery not only lets you shoot for long periods, but features intelligent technology that accurately indicates remaining battery time down to the minute, for extra insurance that you'll never miss an important shooting opportunity.
- Audio Scene Select
Audio Scene Select offers five modes that automatically optimize settings based on the recording situation, making it easy to record realistic, immersive audio in a range of situations.
- Smart AUTO and Auto Tele Macro
Smart AUTO lets you capture clear, bright, well-focused video while the camcorder takes care of all the details. The system recognizes 38 shooting situations based on numerous factors, then automatically chooses the optimal settings for the situation. When you shoot a nearby subject in telephoto zoom mode, Auto Tele Macro gives your video the high-end artistic effect of a well-focused subject against a beautifully blurred background.
- Genuine Canon Face Detection
The same high quality Face Detection technology used in Canon digital cameras is available in Canon high definition camcorders. Up to 35 faces can be tracked automatically, ensuring razor-sharp focus and natural, accurate exposure. Of the faces tracked, 9 detection frames can be displayed at one time.
In fact, the system is so intelligent that it will recognize faces turned downwards or sideways. In addition, a specific face may be selected as the main subject for continuous tracking. This feature is convenient in searching for clips that feature the specific subject's face. In search and playback, use of the Face Index will display those frames with the chosen face as a thumbnail in each shot in which it appears. Your selected face can also be linked as a timeline to further identify footage containing your subject.
- Cinema-Look Filters
The VIXIA HF R52 allows you to create cinematic looks with the use of Cinema-Look Filters. This feature offers a choice of seven varied built-in adjustable filters, which give the look of a variety of cinematic styles by compensating for the color, gamma and other aspects of the image's quality. The looks can be previewed in the LCD display while shooting, and also applied post-capture for additional convenience and versatility. Choose from:
- Cinema Standard: Recreates the warm tones and muted highlights of classic film
- Cool: Adds a bluish tint for cool, futuristic-looking scenes
- Dramatic B&W: Creates bold black-and-white video with high contrast and grain
- Old Movies: Gives video the aged look of old cinema
- Nostalgic: Recreates the look of old ‘70s TV programs
- Sepia: Applies a sepia tint for an antique, faded look
- Vivid: Accentuates primary colors for a bright, cheerful look
- The brightness of each filter can be adjusted low, medium or high, for even greater control. When Cinema Standard is selected, color depth, softening, and contrast can also be adjusted.
- Video SnapShot
Video Snapshot allows you to capture the highlights of a once-in-a-lifetime trip or a family milestone with the same ease as taking photos. Simply record a series of short video clips – or select your favorite clips while in Playback Mode – and blend in your favorite background music to create an exciting movie that will grab everyone's attention. Video Snapshot on the VIXIA HF R52 allows selectable recording time (2, 4, or 8 seconds). Additionally, audio from an external source such as an MP3 player can be played along with the Snapshot movie, and playback can be controlled from that source.
- 24p Cinema and 30p Progressive Shooting Modes
The VIXIA HF R52 camcorder's sophisticated shooting mode options offer superior creativity and functionality. 24p Cinema Mode gives your video a film-like feel, making it look as if it were shot at the same frame rate as movie film, with a frame capture rate of 24p recorded at 60i. The camcorder also gives you the option of recording in 30p Progressive Mode, which is ideal for clips you intend to post online.
- Accessories Get the Most from Your Camcorder
Canon helps you get more out of your camcorder with a wide range of accessories that inspire your creativity and productivity alike. The Wireless Microphone WM-V1 streams audio wirelessly from subjects up to 164 feet away. It's perfect for adding your subject's voice at times when you can't get in close to shoot, and can also be used as a stand-alone transceiver to cue shooting and more. And with the optional UA-100 USB Adapter, you can connect the camcorder directly to an external hard disk drive. Now when you're on vacation or at other times when you'll be shooting a lot of video, you can back up data directly to an external hard disk, and even play video on a TV through your camcorder. An external hard disk is more economical than multiple SD cards, and connects simply to the camcorder with the optional USB cable.
- Standard Definition or High Definition: High Definition
- Television System: NTSC
- Video Recording system: AVCHD/MPEG-4
- Image Sensor: 1/4.85-inch CMOS, RGB Primary Color Filter
- Total Pixels: Approx. 3.28 Megapixels
- Effective Pixels:
- Video: Approx. 2.07 Megapixels (1920 x 1080)
- Photo: Approx. 2.07 Megapixels (1920 x 1080)
- Maximum recording Time
- 32GB SD Memory Card in AVCHD:*
- LP (1440 x 1080) 12 hours 15 minutes**
- FXP (1920 x 1080) 4 hours 10 minutes**
- MXP (1920 x 1080) 2 hours 55 minutes**
- NTSC 60p (1920 x 1080) 2 hours 30 minutes**
- 32GB SD Memory Card in MP4:
- 4Mbps (1280 x 720): 17 hrs. 20 min.
- 17Mbps (1920 x 1080): 4 hr. 10 min.
- 24Mbps (1920 x 1080): 2 hr. 55 min.
- 35Mbps (1920 x 1080): 2 hr. 20 min.
- * When recording has continued for 12 hours, it will automatically stop and then start.
- ** Variable bit rate
- Zoom Ratio: 57x Advanced*/32x Optical/1140x Digital
*Manual mode/Cinema Mode only
- Focal Length: 2.8-89.6mm
- 35mm Film Equivalent:
- Optical Zoom: 38.5-1232mm
- Advanced Zoom Off: 38.5-1232mm
- Advanced Zoom On: 32.5-1853mm
- Zoom Speed: Variable / 3 Fixed Zoom Speeds; Max. F/Stop: f/1.8-4.5
- Focusing System: TTL (Through The Lens)
- Manual Exposure: Available
- Programmed AE: Smart Auto, Manual Mode*1, Cinema Mode*2, Baby Mode, *1P, SCN*3, *2Cinema Standard, Vivid, Cool, Nostalgia, Sepia, Old Movies, Dramatic B&W, *3Portrait, Sports, Snow, Beach, Sunset, Night, Low Light, Spotlight, Fireworks
- Max Shutter Speed
- Movie: 1/2000 sec.
- Still Image: 1/500 sec.
- Minimum Focusing Distance:
- Auto mode: 10mm (AF linkage: WIDE end), 1m in intermediate zoom range, approx. 50 cm at TELE end
- All other modes: 10mm (WIDE end), 1m across entire zooming range (from edge of lens). However, approx. 50cm at tele macro setting established at this time (automatic movement to TELE end)
- White Balance: Auto, Daylight, Tungsten, Manual
- Frame Rate
- AVCHD: 60i/PF30/60P
- MP4: 24P/30P/60P
- Minimum Illumination
- NTSC: 5 lux
- Low Light mode: 0.4 lux
- Image Stabilization
- Optical System (Lens-shift system) + electronic stabilization Intelligent IS in Auto/Baby mode:
- Dynamic IS (default)
- Powered IS
- Macro IS
- Tripod Mode
- IS Modes other than Intelligent IS; Dynamic IS and Powered IS settings can be made manually in Manual*1/Cinema Mode:
- Standard IS
- IS Off
*Angle detection and sensor-based movement vector detection (hybrid supported)
*2Portrait, Sports, Snow, Beach, Sunset, Night, Low Light, Spotlight, Fireworks)
- Filter Diameter: Not Supported
- Viewfinder: Not Available
- LCD Screen: 3.0-inch Capacitive Touch Panel Widescreen Color LCD (Approx. 230,000 dots)
- Recording Media: Built-in 32 GB memory and 1 additional SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card slot
* Use of Class 4 or above (4, 6 or 10) memory cards is recommended for recording MXP or FXP (1920 x 1080 pixel recording) movies. For other recording formats, a Class 2 or higher card is recommended. Also, movie (AVCHD/MP4) recording requires cards with 128MB of memory or more.
- USB Terminal: mini-AB: Hi-Speed USB supported
- Video Terminal: Composite (output)
- AVCHD Satisfied: Dolby Digital AC3 (2 Channel)
- MP4 Satisfied: MPEG-2 AAC-LC (2 Channel)
- Sampling Frequency: 48 KHz
- Accessory Shoe: Not Available
- Supplied Video Editing Software: Not Available
- HDMI Terminal: Available; Mini connector (output only)
- Microphone Terminal: 3.5mm diameter stereo mini-jack
- AV Mini Terminal/Headphone Terminal: 3.5mm diameter 4 pole mini-jack (video/audio output only)
- Operating Temperature range:
- 23° to 113°F (-5° to 45°C)
- 60% relative humidity / 32° to 104°F (0° to 40°C)
- 85% relative humidity (performance)
Approximate Dimensions: (Not including grip belt)
- Width: 2.1"
- Height: 2.2"
- Depth: 4.6"
- Unit Not Including Grip Belt: 8.3 oz.
- Unit Including Battery BP-718, Memory Card, And Grip Belt): 10.1 oz
- Shipping: 2 lbs
- Manufacturer Warranty (authorized online retailer): 1 Year Parts
- Extended Service Warranty Available: Click the warranty tab above for details