Canon EOS 5DSR Digital SLR Camera Body - 0581C002
It’s All in the Detail
With all the features and capabilities of the EOS 5DS, the EOS 5DS R camera offers the potential for even greater sharpness and fine detail for specialized situations. It features the same Canon designed and manufactured 50.6 Megapixel sensor, with the low-pass filter* (LPF) effect cancelled to provide even more fine edge sharpness and detail for critical subjects such as detailed landscapes, and other situations where getting the sharpest subject detail is a priority.
- LPF (Low-pass filter) effect cancellation takes full advantage of the original resolving power of the 50.6 effective megapixels CMOS sensor, delivering even higher resolution images.*
- Newly designed 50.6 Megapixel full-frame CMOS helps deliver ultra-high resolution images for large-scale printing and extensive, creative cropping, while Dual DIGIC 6 Image Processors enable spectacular image quality and processing speed.
- EOS Scene Detection System features a 150,000-pixel RGB+IR Metering Sensor for excellent precision.
- 61-Point High Density Reticular AF including up to 41 cross-type AF points and EOS iTR allows for high precision autofocus.
- Advanced mirror control mechanism and new user-selectable shutter release time lag helps suppress camera vibration for reducing image shake.
- Anti-flicker helps compensate for flickering light sources and provides consistent exposure and color during continuous shooting.
- Built-in intervalometer and bulb timer helps deliver expanded creativity.
- 1.3x and 1.6x crop shooting adds superb flexibility, while still delivering high resolution images required for demanding applications.
- Intelligent Viewfinder II with approximately 100% viewfinder coverage.
- Full HD 30p movie capability and Time Lapse Movie function, which takes still photographs at set intervals and combines them into a Full HD movie file.
- High-speed continuous shooting up to 5.0 fps allows you to capture fast action.
- 3.2-inch ClearView II LCD monitor, 170° viewing angle, 1,040,000-dot VGA, reflection resistance with multi coating and high-transparency materials for bright and clear viewing.
- Customizable Quick Control Screen allows you to quickly change frequently used camera settings and functions.
- Support for USB 3.0.
- Type: Digital, AF/AE single-lens reflex, camera
- Recording Media:
- CF Card
- Type I drive (Incompatible with Type II and Microdrive.)
- High-speed writing possible with UDMA CF cards.
- SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards
- High-speed writing possible with UHS-I SD cards.
- MultiMediaCard (MMC) cannot be used. (A card error will be displayed.)
- Image Format:Approx. 36 mm x 24mm (35mm Full-frame)
- Compatible Lenses: Canon EF Lenses (excluding EF-S Lenses)
- Lens Mount: Canon EF mount
- Type: High-sensitivity, high-resolution, large single-plate CMOS sensor
- Effective pixels: Approx. 50.60 megapixels
- Total pixels: 53.00 megapixels
- Pixel Unit: 4.14 µm square
- Total Pixels: Approx. 53.00 megapixels
- Aspect Ratio: 3:2 (Horizontal: Vertical)
- Color Filter System: RGB primary color filters
- Low Pass Filter: Fixed position in front of the image sensor
- Dust Deletion Feature
- (1) Self Cleaning Sensor Unit
- Removes dust adhering to the low-pass filter.
- At power ON: Performed for approx. 3 sec. (Operation indicated for 2 sec.)
At power Off: Performed for approx. 2 sec.
Manual operation: Performed for approx. 8.5 sec.
- Magnesium fluoride coating on the low-pass filter surface applied.
- (2) Dust Delete Data acquisition and appending
- The coordinates of the dust adhering to the low-pass filter are detected by a test shot and appended to subsequent images.
- The dust coordinate data appended to the image is used by the EOS software to automatically erase the dust spots.
- (3) Manual cleaning
- Recording Format: Design Rule for Camera File System 2.0 and EXIF 2.3
- Image Format
- Still: JPEG, RAW (14-bit Canon Original), RAW, M-RAW, S-RAW, RAW+JPEG, M-RAW+JPEG, S-RAW+JPEG
- Video: MOV (Image data: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC; Audio: Linear PCM)
- File Size
- Full Size
- Large: Approx. 50.3 Megapixels (8688 x 5792)
- Medium 1: Approx. 39.3 Megapixels (7680 x 5120)
- Medium 2: Approx. 22.1 Megapixels (5760 x 3840)
- S1 (Small 1): Approx. 12.40 Megapixels (4320 x 2880)
- S2 (Small 2): Approx. 2.50 Megapixels (1920 x 1280)
- S3 (Small 3): Approx. 350,000 Pixels (720 x 480)
- RAW: Approx. 50.3 Megapixels (8688 x 5792)
- M-RAW: Approx. 28.50 Megapixels (6480 x 4320)
- S-RAW: Approx. 12.40 Megapixels (4320 x 2880)
- Crop - 1.3x
- Large: Approx. 30.5 Megapixels (6768 x 4512)
- Medium 1: Approx. 24.1 Megapixels (6016 x 4000)
- Medium 2: Approx. 13.6 Megapixels (4512 x 3008)
- S1 (Small 1): Approx. 7.6 Megapixels (3376 x 2256)
- S2 (Small 2): Approx. 2.5 Megapixels (1920 x 1280)
- S3 (Small 3): Approx. 0.35 Megapixels (720 x 480)
- Crop - 1.6x
- Large: Approx. 19.6 Megapixels (5424 x 3616)
- Medium 1: Approx. 15.4 Megapixels (4800 x 3200)
- Medium 2: Approx. 8.7 Megapixels (3616 x 2408)
- S1 (Small 1): Approx. 4.9 Megapixels (2704 x 1808)
- S2 (Small 2): Approx. 2.50 Megapixels (1920 x 1280)
- S3 (Small 3): Approx. 0.35 Megapixels (720 x 480)
- 1:1 Aspect Ratio
- Large: Approx. 33.5 Megapixels (5792 x 5792)
- Medium 1: Approx. 26.2 Megapixels (5120 x 5120)
- Medium 2: Approx. 14.7 Megapixels (3840 x 3840)
- S1 (Small 1): Approx. 8.3 Megapixels (2880 x 2880)
- S2 (Small 2): Approx. 1.6 Megapixels (1280 x 1280)
- S3 (Small 3): Approx. 0.23 Megapixels (480 x 480)
- Aspect Ratio: 4:3
- Large: Approx. 44.7 Megapixels (7712 x 5792)
- Medium 1: Approx. 34.9 Megapixels (6816 x 5120)
- Medium 2: Approx. 19.7 Megapixels (5120 x 3480)
- S1 (Small 1): Approx. 11.1 Megapixels (3840 x 2880)
- S2 (Small 2): Approx. 2.2 Megapixels (1712 x 1280)
- S3 (Small 3): Approx. 0.31 Megapixels (640 x 480)
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Large: Approx. 42.5 Megapixels (8688 x 4888)
- Medium 1: Approx. 33.2 Megapixels (7680 x 4320)
- Medium 2: Approx. 18.7 Megapixels (5760 x 3240)
- S1 (Small 1): Approx. 10.5 Megapixels (4320 x 2432)
- S2 (Small 2): Approx. 2.1 Megapixels (1920 x 1080)
- S3 (Small 3): Approx. 0.28 Megapixels (720 x 408)
- Exact file sizes depend on the subject, ISO speed, Picture Style, etc.
- Recording Functions
* Records to either the CF card or SD card.
- Auto switch card
* When the current card becomes full, the camera switches to the other card automatically.
- Record separately
* The CF card and SD card record the same image at a different image recording quality (L, M, S1, S2, S3, RAW, M-RAW, S-RAW)
- Record to multiple
* Both the CF card and SD card record the same image at the same image recording quality. (Also applies to RAW+JPEG, M+JPEG, and SRAW+JPEG)
- Backup Recording
Images recorded in a card can be copied to the other card
- File Numbering: The following three types of file numbering methods
can be set:
- (1) Continuous numbering
- * The numbering of captured images will continue even after you
replace the camera's card.
- (2) Auto reset
- * When you replace the camera's card, the numbering will be reset
to start from 0001. If the new card already contains images, the numbering
will continue from the last recorded image on the card.
- (3) Manual reset
- * Resets the file number to 0001, and creates a new folder automatically.
- RAW + JPEG Simultaneous Recording
The image-recording quality can be selected in any combination of the three RAW and eight JPEG recording quality settings.
- Color Space
Selectable between sRGB and Adobe RGB
- Picture Style
Auto, Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Neutral, Faithful, Monochrome, User Defined 1-3
* Scene Intelligent Auto will set [Auto] automatically.
* [Standard] is the default setting for [User Def. 1-3]
- Auto (AWB)
- Cloudy, Twilight, Sunset
- Tungsten light
- White fluorescent light
- Custom (Custom WB)
- Color temperature
* With an EX-series Speedlite having the color temperature information transmission feature, the color temperature setting changes to match the color temperature when the flash is fired. Set to approx. 6000K if the flash unit does not have the color temperature communication feature.
- Auto White Balance: Auto white balance with the image sensor
- Color Temperature Compensation
- Blue/amber bias: ±9 levels
- Magenta/green bias: ±9 levels
- * Correction based on the current WB mode's color temperature.
- Color Temperature Information Transmission: Provided
- Type: Eye-level pentaprism
- Coverage: Approx. 100% vertically and horizontally (At approx. 21mm eyepoint)
- Magnification: Approx. 0.71x / Angle of view 34.1° (with 50mm lens at infinity, -1 m-1 (dpt))
- Eye Point: Approx. 21mm (At -1m-1 from the eyepiece lens center)
- Dioptric Adjustment Correction: -3.0 to +1.0m-1 (diopter)
- Focusing Screen: Fixed
- Mirror: Quick-return half mirror (transmission: reflection ratio
- Viewfinder Information
- AF information
- AF point, focus confirmation, AF status indicator
- Exposure information
- Shutter speed, aperture, ISO speed (always displayed), AE lock, exposure level, exposure warning
- Flash information
- Flash ready, flash exposure compensation, high-speed sync, FE lock, red-eye reduction light
- Image information
- Highlight tone priority (D+), maximum burst (2-digit display), card information
- Battery check
- Composition information
Grid, electronic level
- Warning symbol
- Displayed if any of the following is set: Monochrome, white balance correction, One-touch recording quality switch, expanded ISO speed, or spot metering.
- Depth Of Field Preview: Enabled with depth-of-field preview button
- Type: TTL Secondary image registration, phase detection with AF-dedicated CMOS sensor
- AF Points
- 61-point High-Density Reticle AF
- AF Working Range
- EV -2 - 18 (at 73°F/23°C and ISO 100)
- Focusing Modes
- (1) Autofocus
- One-Shot AF
- Predictive AI Servo AF
- For automatic AF point selection, the AF point to start the AI Servo AF operation can be selected.
- For automatic AF point selection, the active AF point can be displayed.
- AI Focus AF
- (Switches between One-Shot AF and AI SERVO AF automatically)
- Automatically set in A+ (Auto) Mode
- (2) Manual focus
- AF Point Selection
- Single-point Spot AF (Manual selection)
- Single-point AF (Manual selection)
*The checkmark cannot be removed from this option.
- AF point expansion (Manual selection, 4 points: Up, down, left, and right)
- AF point expansion (Manual selection, surrounding 8 points)
- Zone AF (Manual zone selection
- Auto selection 61-Point AF)
- Selected AF Point Display:
Displayed in viewfinder with transparent LCD and on LCD panel
- Active AF Point Indicator
AF area used in horizontal/vertical (grip up or down) shooting and the manually-selected AF point position can be set separately
- AF Assist Beam
With an EOS-dedicated Speedlite, AF-assist beam is emitted automatically when necessary.
- IR AF assist beam only
* No AF-assist beam with flash bursts.
- Metering Modes
- Approx. 150,000-pixel RGB+IR metering sensor
- EOS iSA System with 252-zone (18 x 14) metering
- Evaluative metering (linked to all AF points)
- Partial metering (center, approx. 6.1% of viewfinder)
- Spot metering (center, approx. 1.3% of viewfinder)
•AF point-linked spot metering not provided.
- Center-weighted average metering
a. The selectable metering modes can be restricted with a Custom Function.
- Metering Range: EV 0-20 (at 73°F / 23°C at ISO 100)
- Exposure Control Systems
- Scene Intelligent Auto
- Program AE (shiftable)
- Shutter-priority AE (Safety shift possible)
- Aperture-priority AE (Safety shift possible)
- Manual exposure
* The metering mode can be specified with a Custom Function.
- Custom shooting mode, C1, C2, C3
* Evaluative metering, Averaged metering
- Exposure Compensation
- Manual: ±5 stops in 1/3 or 1/2-stop increments
- AEB: ±3 stops in 1/3 or 1/2-stop increments
- * Indicated up to ±3 stops on the LCD panel and in the viewfinder.
- AE Lock
- (1) Auto AE lock
·In the One-Shot AF mode with evaluative metering, AE lock takes effect when focus is achieved.
- (2) Manual AE lock
·With AE lock button. (AE lock is updated each time you press the button.) Enabled in all metering modes.
External Speed Light
- Type: Vertical-travel, mechanical, focal-plane shutter with all speeds electronically-controlled
- Shutter Speeds:
- X-sync at 1/200 sec.
- 1/8000 to 30 sec., bulb (Total shutter speed range. Available range varies by shooting mode.)
- * Shutter speed's control range can be set with a Custom Function.
- Shutter Release: Soft-touch electromagnetic release
- Self Timer:10-sec. or 2-sec. delay
- Shutter Lag Time
- During SW-1 ON, time lag between SW-2 ON and start of exposure:
Approx. 0.059 sec.
* During silent shooting, approx. 0.108 sec.
* With flash, approx. 0.086 sec.
* During silent shooting with flash, approx. 0.108 sec.
- Time lag between simultaneous SW-1/SW-2 ON and start of exposure: Approx. 0.186 sec.
* During silent shooting, approx. 0.230 sec.
* With flash, approx. 0.236 sec.
* During silent shooting with flash, approx. 0.255 sec.
- EOS Dedicated Speedlite: E-TTL II autoflash with all EX Series Speedlites
- Zooming to Match Focal Length:Provided
- Flash Exposure Compensation: ±3 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments
- FE Lock:
- External Flash Settings: The camera can set the following with Speedlite 600EX-RT, 580EX II, 430EX II, 320EX, 270EX II, or 270EX
- (1) External flash control
* Flash mode, sync setting, FEB (not possible with 270EX II/270EX), flash exposure compensation, E-TTL II, zoom, wireless master flash (not possible with 430EX II/ 270EX), and clear settings.
* With the Speedlite 600EX-RT, radio wireless control is possible.
- (2) Flash Custom Function setting
- PC Terminal: Provided (no polarity)
- Drive Modes
- Single, High-speed continuous, Low-speed continuous, Silent Single Shooting, Silent continuous shooting, and Self-timer (10 sec. self-timer/remote control, or 2-sec. self-timer/remote control)
- Continuous Shooting Speed
- High-speed: Maximum approx. 5.0 shots/sec.
- Low-speed: Maximum approx. 3.0shots/sec.
- Silent continuous shooting: Maximum approx. 3.0 shots/sec.
Live View Functions
- Shooting Modes: Still photo shooting and video shooting
- Metering Modes
- Evaluative metering (315-zone)
- Partial metering (approx. 6.4% of Live View screen)
- Spot metering (approx. 2.8% of Live View screen)
- Center-weighted average metering
*AE lock possible.
*The active metering timer can be changed.
- Metering Range: Metering range: EV 0 - EV 20 (At 73°F / 23°C, ISO 100)
- Grid Display
- Three grid display provided
- 9 sections
- 24 sections
- 9 sections + diagonal lines
- Exposure Simulation: Provided
- Silent Shooting: Provided (Mode 1 and Mode 2)
- File Format
- MPEG-4 AVC / H.264
- Variable (averaged) bit rate
- File Size
- 1920 x 1080 (Full HD)
- 1280 x 720
- 640 x 480
- Frame Rates
- [1920 x 1080]: 30 fps / 25 fps / 24 fps
- [1280 x 720]: 60 fps / 50 fps
- [640 x 480]: 30 fps / 25 fps
- Continuous Shooting Time Based on 8GB Memory Card
- [1920 x 1080]
- 29.97 fps /
25.00 fps / 23.98 fps
- 11 min. with All-I compression
- 33 min. with IPB compression
- [1280 x 720]
- 59.94 fps /
- 13 min. with All-I compression
- 38 min. with IPB compression
- [640 x 480]
- 29.97 fps /
- 38 min. or 97 min with IPB
- Focusing: Same as focusing with Live View shooting
* During movie shooting or if movie cropping has been set, the image cannot be magnified for manual focusing.
- Manual Settings:
Normal ISO Speeds: ISO 100-6400 (in 1/3-stop or whole-stop increments)
Expanded ISO Speeds: L: equivalent to ISO 50, H: equivalent to ISO 12800
* For [Highlight tone priority], the settable ISO speed range will be ISO 200-6400.
* ISO speed safety shift possible with Custom Function.
* For movie shooting, the maximum expanded ISO speed is also ISO 12800.
- Auto Settings:
A+: ISO 100-3200 (No Flash) / ISO 100-6400 (With Flash)
P/Tv/Av/M: ISO 100-6400*1 (No Flash) / ISO 400 Fixed*1,*2, *3
B: ISO 400 Fixed (No Flash) / ISO 400 Fixed*1,*2, *3
*1: It depends on [Minimum] and [Maximum] of [Auto ISO range].
*2: If overexposure would occur with fill flash, the minimum ISO speed is set to ISO 100 (except for M and B).
*3: Auto set for ISO 400-1600 in the P mode with external Speedlite set for bounce flash.
- Exposure Compensation
- Up to ±3 stops in 1/3-stop increments
- * For movies, even if exposure compensation has been set beyond ±3 stops, exposure compensation up to only ±3 stops will be applied.
- * For still photos, exposure compensation up to ±5 stops can be applied.
- Type: TFT color, liquid-crystal monitor
- Monitor Size
- 3.2-inches (Screen aspect ratio 3:2)
- Approx. 8.11cm (7.13cm width, 5.19cm height)
- Pixels: Approx. 1.04 million dots
- Approx. 170° vertically and horizontally
- Brightness Control:
- Auto: Brightness adjusted automatically by the light sensor
* Adjustable to one of three levels: Darker, Standard, Brighter
- Manual: Adjustable to one of seven brightness levels
- Clear View LCD II
- * Glass surface has an anti-reflective AR coating.
- Interface Languages:25 (English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Portuguese, Finnish, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Greek, Russian, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Romanian, Ukraine, Turkish, Arabic, Thai, Simplified/Traditional Chinese, Korean, Japanese)
- Display Format
Single image, Single image + Image-recording quality/shooting information, histogram, 4- or 9-image index, magnified view (approx. 1.5x-10x), rotated image (auto/manual), image jump (by 10/100 images, index screen, by shooting date, by folder), two-image comparative display, slide show (all images/selected by date/folder), star rating
- Highlight Alert
With single-image display (Info.) and single-image display, overexposed highlight areas will
Quick Control Function
- Items The following functions can be set:
Shutter speed, aperture, ISO speed, exposure compensation, AEB, flash exposure compensation, AF point selection (including AF area selection modes), Picture Style, White Balance, WB Correction, metering mode, Auto Lighting Optimizer, recording function switching, image-recording quality, AF mode, drive mode, and Custom Controls (camera controls/buttons customization).
Image Protection and Erase
- Protection: Erase protection can be applied or canceled for a single image, all images in a folder or all images in the card
- Erase: Erase a single image, selected images, all images in a folder, all images in a card or erase only unprotected images
- Compatible Printers: PictBridge-compatible printers
- Printable Images: RAW, JPEG, and RAW+JPEG images complying to Design
rule for Camera File System
- * Movies cannot be printed.
DPOF: Digital Print Order Format
- DPOF: Complies to DPOF Version 1.1
Direct Image Transfer
- Compatible Images
- JPEG and RAW images and movie
- For RAW+JPEG, only the RAW or JPEG image or both images can be transferred
- Custom Functions: 16 Custom Functions settable with the camera
- Custom Controls: The following camera controls can be customized by assigning the desired function:
Shutter button halfway pressing, AF-ON button, AE lock button, Depth-of-field preview button, lens AF Stop button, Multifunction button, SET button, Main Dial, Quick Control Dial, and Multi-controller
- Camera User Settings: Current camera settings can be registered to C1, C2 and C3 on the Mode Dial (Automatic registration update is possible)
- My Menu Registration: Up to six items from top-tier menu options
and Custom Function settings can be registered
- USB Terminal: For personal computer communication and direct printing (USB 3.0)
- Video Out Terminal
- (1) Video OUT terminal: NTSC/PAL selectable
- (2) mini-HDMI OUT terminal
- Extension System Terminal: For connection to WFT-E7A (Version 2) and GPS Receiver GP-E2
- Gigabit-Ethernet: The RJ-45 jack is not built-in and is only available via the Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E7A (version 2)
- One Battery Pack LP-E6
- AC power can be supplied with the AC Adapter Kit ACK-E6
- Battery Check
- Automatic battery check when the power switch is turned on:
- Displayed in 6 levels:
- Battery level displayed on LCD panel and in viewfinder.
- Battery information can be checked with the [Battery info.] menu
- If Battery Grip BG-E11 is used with size AA/LR6 batteries; the battery level is displayed in four levels instead.
- Power Saving: Power turns off after the set time (1, 2, 4, 8, 15 or 30 minutes) of non-operation elapses.
- Date/Time Battery: CR1616 lithium battery
- Start-up Time: Approx. 0.1 sec
- Working Temperature Range: 32-104°F/0-40°C
- Working Humidity Range: 85% or less
What's In The Box:
- EOS 5DS R Body
- Battery Pack LP-E6N
- Battery Charger LC-E6
- Eyecup EG
- Wide Strap EW-EOS5DSR
- Interface Cable IFC-150U II
- Cable Protector
- EOS Digital Solution Disc
- Height: 4.58"
- Width: 5.98"
- Depth: 3.01"
- Unit: 29.8 oz
- Shipping: 5 lbs
- Manufacturer Warranty (authorized online retailer): One Year Parts