Canon PowerShot G5 X Black 20.2 Megapixel Digital Camera - 0510C001
The first PowerShot G-Series camera to incorporate a full-featured 2.36 million dot electronic viewfinder, the amazing PowerShot G5 X camera makes it simple to compose, set and capture high-quality stills and video without taking your eye away from the camera. For photography in the glare of bright sunlight, recording HD Video in an auditorium and other situations where the lighting is difficult or using the LCD monitor is inconvenient, the PowerShot G5 X’s electronic viewfinder helps enable unfettered operation. Full control is made simple with dedicated dials situated around the camera that let you easily customize and control the settings. What’s more, helpful features like a built-in accessory hot shoe and a multi-angle, capacitive touch screen monitor serve to create an experience as unique as the subject being recorded. With its phenomenal and large imaging sensor, its marvelous electronic viewfinder and comprehensive operation, the PowerShot G5 X can deliver performance that’s easy to see.
- Impressive Speed, Resolution and Quality
At the heart of the PowerShot G5 X camera is a brilliant 1.0-inch 20.2 Megapixel* High-Sensitivity CMOS sensor. Physically larger than the sensors found in most compact cameras, the PowerShot G5 X’s sensor works in tandem with Canon’s DIGIC 6 Image Processor to quickly deliver gorgeous, high-resolution images with nuanced details, plus impressive low-light performance with a low signal-to-noise ratio and minimal noise and distortion. Suitable for tremendous enlargements, significant cropping and many other applications appealing to the advanced photographer, images and video captured on the PowerShot G5 X’s sensor are engineered to impress even the most critical eye.
- Dynamic Optical Performance for Excellent Results
To take advantage of its large, 1.0-inch imaging sensor, the PowerShot G5 X camera has a sharp and versatile 4.2x Optical Zoom lens. With a 35mm equivalent range of 24–100mm it’s equally suitable for landscapes, portraits, group photographs and even close-up photography. Designed to perform in numerous lighting situations, the PowerShot G5 X’s lens has a bright maximum aperture of f/1.8 for low light performance, a 9-blade aperture for beautiful, blurred background detail and is engineered to focus from distances as close as 2.0 in. The PowerShot G5 X’s lens works in concert with the camera’s sensor and image processor to reliably deliver sharp images from edge to edge and from wide-angle to telephoto, all tailored to meet the exacting standards of even critical photographers.
- Sharp, Fast and Colorful for Optimal Performance
The PowerShot G5 X camera’s defining feature is its unique, high-definition electronic viewfinder. It’s great for photographers who prefer to hold the camera up to their eye, and is a veritable lifesaver in bright light and when composing on the camera’s LCD screen is inconvenient or overly conspicuous. Featuring 2.36 million dots, and with a wide color gamut, it provides a high-contrast, realistic and smooth edge-to-edge view for image composition, adjustment and review. Designed for sustained use, it delivers 100% image coverage, a smooth refresh rate up to 120 frames-per-second (Smooth Mode) and a flexible information display that can enable comfortable camera operation throughout the day. Its 22mm eyepoint delivers excellent visibility, even when wearing glasses, and a built-in eye sensor helps the PowerShot G5 X to transfer quickly between the viewfinder display and Live View on the camera’s LCD.
- Take Control, with Ease
Designed for speedy operation while looking through the viewfinder, the PowerShot G5 X camera features a host of controls for quick, accurate settings and adjustments. Beyond its Vari-angle touch panel LCD monitor, the PowerShot G5 X features a front dial situated on the front of the camera for operation with the index finger, a top-mounted, thumb-operated exposure compensation dial, a rear-mounted control dial plus a control ring around the camera’s lens. Eminently customizable, each dial has an optimized operating torque that helps to identify it by feel, for sustained, intuitive and near-silent operation in quiet situations like weddings and performances.
- Compact Performance, Easily Expandable
The PowerShot G5 X camera’s hot shoe enables expanded operations for advanced photography. It’s compatible with all Speedlite flashes for the EOS System, so bounce flash and multiple-flash photography is easy to achieve. Whether attaching a Speedlite flash or the Remote Switch RS-60E3 for long exposures or night scenes, the PowerShot G5 X’s hot shoe can help provide shooting opportunities far beyond the scope of most compact cameras.
- Type: Digital camera with built-in flash, 4.2x Optical, 4x Digital and 17x Combined Zoom with Optical Image Stabilizer
Image Capture Device
- Type: 20.2 Megapixel*, 1.0-inch CMOS (sensor aspect ratio: 3:2) *Image processing may cause a decrease in the number of pixels.
- Total Pixels: Approx. 20.9 Megapixels
- Effective Pixels: Approx. 20.2 Megapixels
- Focal Length: 8.8 (W) - 36.8 (T) mm (35mm film equivalent: 24-100mm)
- Optical Zoom: Approx. 4.2x
- Digital Zoom: Approx. 4x
- Focusing Range
- Auto/Manual: 2.0 in. (5cm) - infinity (W), 1.3 ft. (40cm) - infinity (T)
- Normal: 2.0 in. (5cm) - infinity (W), 1.3 ft. (40cm) - infinity (T)
- Macro: 2.0 in. - 1.6 ft. (5-50cm) (W)
- Autofocus System: TTL Autofocus, Manual Focus
- Optical Viewfinder: Electronic Viewfinder (Approx. 2.36 million dots)
- LCD Monitor: 3.0-type TFT color liquid crystal (Vari-angle)
- LCD Pixels: Approx. 1.04 million dots
- LCD Coverage: Approx. 100%
Aperture and Shutter
- Maximum Aperture: f/1.8 (W), f/2.8 (T)
- Shutter Speed:
- 1-1/2000 sec. (in Auto mode)
- 30-1/2000 sec. (in Tv, M, and Manual Movie Modes)
- BULB (in M mode only)
- 1/8 minimum in Manual Movie Mode
- Auto, ISO
- 125/160/200/250/320/400/500/640/800/1000/1250/1600/2000/2500/3200/4000/5000/6400 (When in Auto mode)
- Max. ISO Speed 12800 (When in P mode)
- Light Metering Method: Evaluative, Center Weighted Average, Spot
- Exposure Control Method: Manual Exposure, Program Shift, Safety Shift, AE Lock
- Exposure Compensation: Still Images: ±3 stops in 1/3-stop increments Videos: ±3 stops in 1/3-stop increments
- White Balance Control: Auto, Day Light, Shade, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H, Flash, Custom1-2
- Built-in Flash: Auto, On, Slow Synchro, Off
- Flash Range:
- 1.6 (50cm) -23 ft. (7.0m) (W), 1.6 ft. (50cm) - 13 ft. (4.0m) (T)
- Image brightness may diminish depending on the shooting distance.
- Flash Exposure Compensation: ±2 stops in 1/3-stop increments
- Shooting Modes
- C, M, Av, Tv, P, Hybrid Auto, Auto, Creative Shot, Portrait, Self Portrait, Star Portrait, Star Nightscape, Star Trails, Star Time-Lapse Movie, Handheld Night Scene, Fireworks, High Dynamic Range, Nostalgic, Fish-eye Effect, Miniature Effect, Toy Camera Effect, Background Defocus, Soft Focus, Monochrome, Super Vivid, Poster Effect, Standard Movie, Short Clip, Manual Movie, iFrame Movie
- C, M, Av, Tv, P, Hybrid Auto, Auto, Creative Shot, Sports, SCN*1, Creative Filters*2, Movie*3
- Shooting movies is done with the movie button.
*1 Portrait, Smart Shutter *4, Star *5, Handheld Night Scene, Snow, Fireworks
*2 High Dynamic Range, Nostalgic, Fish-eye Effect, Miniature Effect, Toy Camera Effect, Background Defocus, Soft Focus, Monochrome, Super Vivid, Poster Effect
*3 Standard Movie, Short Clip, Manual Movie, iFrame Movie
*4 Smile, Wink Self-Timer, Face Self-Timer
*5 Star Nightscape, Star Trails, Star Time-Lapse Movie
- Photo Effects
- My Colors Off, Vivid, Neutral, Sepia, Black & White, Positive Film, Lighter Skin Tone, Darker Skin Tone, Vivid Blue, Vivid Green, Vivid Red, Custom Color
- Self Timer
- Off, Approx. 2 sec. delay, Approx. 10 sec. delay, Custom
- Wireless Control
- Continuous Shooting
- One Shot: Approx. 5.9 shots/sec.
- Servo: Approx. 4.4 shots/sec.
Number of Recordable Images
- Storage Media: SD/SDHC/SDXC and UHS-I Memory Cards
- File Format: SD/SDHC/SDXC and UHS-I Memory Cards
- Image Recording Format: Superfine / Fine
- JPEG Compression Mode:
- Still Image: Exif 2.3 (DCF 2.0), RAW (Canon original: 14-bit, CR2)
- Video: MP4 (Image: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264; Audio: MPEG-4 AAC-LC [Stereo])
- Number of Recording Pixels:
- Still Images:
- 1) 16:9 - Large: 5472 x 3080; Medium 1: 4320 x 2432; Medium 2: 1920 x 1080; Small: 720 x 408
- 2) 3:2 - Large: 5472 x 3648, Medium 1: 4320 x 2880, Medium 2: 2304 x 1536, Small: 720 x 480
- 3) 4:3 - Large: 4864 x 3648, Medium 1: 3840 x 2880, Medium 2: 2048 x 1536, Small: 640 x 480
- 4) 1:1 - Large: 3648 x 3648; Medium 1: 2880 x 2880; Medium 2: 1536 x 1536; Small: 480 x 480
- Full HD 1920 x 1080: 59.94 fps
- Full HD iFrame: 1920 x 1080: 29.97 fps
- Full HD Star Time-Lapse Movie: 1920 x 1080: 14.985 fps / 29.97 fps
- HD 1280 x 720: 29.97 fps
- 640 x 480: 29.97 fps
- Miniature Effect: 1280 x 720: 6 fps (5x speed) / 3 fps (10x speed) / 1.5 fps (20x speed)
- Miniature Effect: 640 x 480: 6 fps (5x speed) / 3 fps (10x speed) / 1.5 fps (20x speed)
- Short Clip: 1280 x 720: 29.97 fps
- Image data
- Approx. Number of Shots Recordable to 16 GB Memory Card
|Medium 1 (M1)
|Medium 2 (M2)
Note: SF=Superfine F=Fine
The approximate number of images recordable on memory cards other than the above can be calculated by using the above figures as a reference and extrapolating accordingly.
Time of Recordable Movies
||Movie Size (KB/sec.)
||Approx. Total Movie Time Recordable to 16 GB Memory Card
||Single Clip Approx. Recording Time*1
||Video Recording Bit Rate
||1920 x 1080 (Full HD)
||59 min. 30 sec.
||29 min. 59 sec.
||Approx. 35 Mbps
||1 hr. 26 min. 5 sec.
||29 min. 59 sec.
||Approx. 24 Mbps
||1 hr. 26 min. 5 sec.
||29 min. 59 sec.
||Approx. 24 Mbps
|1280 x 720 (HD)
||4 hr. 5 min. 15 sec.
||29 min. 59 sec.
||Approx. 8 Mbps
|640 x 480 (VGA)
||10 hr. 22 min. 35 sec.
||Approx. 3 Mbps
- *1 Using an SD Speed Class 10 / UHS-I compatible memory card.
- Recording stops automatically once the file size reaches 4 GB or the memory card becomes full.
- Recording may stop unexpectedly if a memory card with a low Speed Class is used.
- *2 Actual frame rate is 23.976 fps.
- Playback Modes File
- Playback Function Menu: Story Highlights, Protect, Favorites, Erase, Print, Group Playback, Play Movie, List/Play Digest Movies, Image Search, Slideshow, Rotate, Album Playback, Play Creative Shot Movies, Short Clip Mix, i-Contrast, Resize, Cropping, Red-Eye Correction, My Colors, Face ID Info, Print Settings, Photobook Set-up, Transition Effect, Index Effect, Scroll Display, Group Images, Auto Rotate, Resume, Image Jump with Control Ring/Front Dial, Set Touch Actions
- Erase Modes
Select Image, Select Range, Select All Images
- The image data in the memory card stored with the Design rule for Camera File systems format can be erased (however, protected images cannot be erased).
- Using the Movie editing function, sections of the movie can be deleted.
- RAW+JPEG images can be erased individually.
- Computer Interface
- Wired: USB (Micro-B), HDMI (Type D)
- Specifications: IEEE 802. 11b/g/n
- Frequency: 2.4 GHz
- Channels: 1-11
- Security: WEP, WPA-PSK (AES/TKIP), WPA2-PSK (AES-TKIP)
- Video Out: NTSC/PAL
- Audio Out: Stereo
- Other: Remote switch terminal available; direct connection to Canon SELPHY, PIXMA Photo Printers & PictBridge compatible printers
- Power Source
- Battery Pack NB-13L, AC Adapter Kit CA-DC10 (ACK-DC110)
- In-Camera Charging via USB Cable available through Compact Power Adapter CA-DC30 (Charging time: Approx. 5 hr.)*
* Charging time varies considerably depending on the remaining battery power.
- Shooting Capacity
- Approx. 210 shots with Screen On
- Approx. 215 shots with Viewfinder On
- Approx. 320 shots with ECO Mode
- Playback Time: Approx. 4 hr.
What's in the Box:
- Operating Temperature: 32-104°F / 0-40°C
- Operating Humidity: 10-90%
- PowerShot G5 X
- Neck Strap NS-DC12
- Strap Adapter
- Battery Pack NB-13L
- Battery Charger CB-2LH
- Warranty card
- Instruction manual
- (USB Cable, SD Card and Solutions Disk Not Included)
- Height: 3.01"
- Width: 4.43"
- Depth: 1.73"
- 13.3 oz. (including battery and memory card)
- 12.5 oz. (camera body only)
- Shipping: 2 lbs
- Manufacturer Warranty (authorized online retailer): One Year Parts and Labor