Sony Cyber-Shot 42.4 Megapixel Black Digital Camera - DSCRX1RM2/B
Full frame. Palm size.
Cutting-edge compact camera technology doesn't get
sharper than this.
A fixed-lens design is seamlessly integrated with an
advanced full-frame sensor with no fewer than 42.4
effective megapixels (approx.) and ultra-efficient signal
processing to give the new RX1R II the capability to capture
images of extraordinary resolution. Fast, accurate AF
ensures that you capture clear images at every opportunity.
A retractable electronic viewfinder allows you to monitor
and preview exactly what your shot will look like, and
the world's first* optical variable low-pass filter can be
controlled to select precisely the effect that you intend.
Now, it's perfectly clear: the new RX1R II packs the ultimate
in imaging technology ― in the palm of your hand.
- Back-illuminated 35mm full-frame Exmor RTM CMOS sensor with approx.
42.4 effective megapixels in a palm-sized compact body
- Large-aperture, fixed focal length ZEISS® Sonnar T* 35mm F2 lens
- BIONZ XTM image processing engine
- Fast Hybrid AF featuring 399 focal plane phase-detection AF points
- The world’s first* optical variable low-pass filter
- Retractable XGA OLED Tru-FinderTM and tiltable LCD screen
- Ultimate full-frame compact
- Resolution reaches a higher peak
Full-frame CMOS sensor and fixed-lens design rise to new heights in the RX1R II compact camera with 42.4-megapixel1 resolution and advanced image processing. Speedy AF, a retractable electronic viewfinder and the world's first2 optical variable low-pass filter let you see how seamlessly cutting-edge performance and all-around convenience can co-exist.
- Imaging innovation
High-res, full-frame 42.4-megapixel1 sensor, BIONZ X™ and ZEISS® lens distinguish image detail.
- Speedy, accurate Fast Hybrid AF
Its 399 focal plane phase-detection AF points greatly increase AF speed and coverage3.
- First low-pass filter of its kind2
Optimize image quality with control of low-pass filter effect according to shooting intention/situation.
- Retractable XGA OLED Tru-Finder™
Featuring ZEISS® T* Coating, as well as high 0.74x magnification4, definition, and contrast.
- Tiltable LCD screen
Tilts up approx. 109 degrees, down approx. 41 degrees, at max to extend shooting angle flexibility.
- Superior image quality
- Startling depth in detail
A 42.4-megapixel1 back-illuminated 35 mm full-frame Exmor R® CMOS sensor, advanced BIONZ X™ image processing engine and fixed-lens design deliver unrivaled resolution and enhanced sensitivity. These technological advances keep images exquisitely detailed, natural, and well exposed all the way from their centers to edges, regardless of shooting conditions.
- Boosting resolution and sensitivity
A back-illuminated 42.4-megapixel1 full-frame Exmor R® CMOS sensor with ISO 50-1024005, wide dynamic range, low noise and expanded circuit scale with copper wiring for faster6 data transmission.
- Compact and bright, with fixed focal length
The ZEISS® Sonnar T* 35 mm F2 lens maximizes the benefits of high sensor resolution and delivers brilliantly clear images from its center to the peripheral areas.
- More optimal processing performance
The RX1R II's fixed-lens design and improved signal processing optimize the performance of BIONZ X™, which is also enhanced to support 14-bit uncompressed RAW format.
- Greater AF speed, precision and coverage
- Featuring 399 focal plane phase-detection AF points
With advanced phase-detection and contrast-detection capabilities, the Fast Hybrid AF system in the RX1R II provides unconventionally speedy, accurate wide-area autofocus coverage and tracking performance. You will be able to shoot better, clearer stills at every opportunity without missing a single moment.
- Wider AF coverage — Faster AF response
399 phase-detection AF points are packed within a large area of the image (providing coverage of nearly half of the entire frame) and AF response is about 30% faster6.
- Seize the moment
New AF-C focus mode and up to 5fps continuous shooting capabilities along with AF tracking help to ensure that you can reliably capture more climactic moments.
- World's first2 optical variable low-pass filter
- Control LPF effect to achieve your intention in a shot
You can choose from three optical variable low-pass filter effect settings1: Off (to prioritize image resolution), Hi (to reduce moiré and color artifacts), and Standard (to balance those priorities). Each in its own way takes optimal advantage of the image sensor's 42.4-megapixel8 resolution to deliver the ultimate image quality according to shooting intention and situation.
- Double-duty LPF control for added effect
How does the RX1R II provide double duty that would otherwise require more than one conventional camera? Splitting of incident light flux  is controlled by varying voltage to the liquid crystal  between low-pass filter 1  and low-pass filter 2  in order to activate, deactivate, and modify low-pass filter effect. LPF bracketing simplifies comparison of LPF effects.
- Advanced usability
Compact enough to take anywhere, the RX1R II features sleek ergonomic controls, retractable EVF, tiltable LCD screen, and more.
- Retractable electronic viewfinder
- Intuitive shooting
- Easier control
- Touch and share
NFC lets you touch your Android device to your RX1R II to quickly transfer photos/videos via Wi-Fi.
- Personalize with PlayMemories Camera Apps™
Add functions that suit your creative needs.
- Accessories for every need
Professional level options expand potential
Further expand your shooting possibilities and give your photography a professional edge with accessories9 specially designed for the RX1R II camera.
- Supported in Capture One Express (for Sony)
- One of the world's best RAW converters by Phase One
Capture One Express (for Sony) is one of the world's best RAW converters, rendering precise colors and incredible detail. It contains flexible digital asset management, all the essential adjustment tools and fast, responsive performance in one customizable and integrated solution.10
- Sensor Type: 35mm full frame (35.9 x 24.0mm), Exmor R CMOS sensor, aspect ratio 3:2
- Number of Gross Pixels: Approx. 43.6 megapixels
- Number of Effective Pixels: Approx. 42.4 megapixels
- Lens Type: ZEISS® Sonnar T*, 8 elements in 7 groups (3 aspherical elements including AA lens)
- Max. Magnification: Standard/Macro 0.15x / 0.26x (By Macro Switching Ring)
- F-number (maximum aperture): F2
- Aperture Type: Iris diaphragm (9 blades)
- Focal Length (f=):
- [Still image 3:2] f=35mm [Still image 16:9] f=37mm
- [Still image 1:1] f=44mm [Still image 4:3] f=38mm
- [Movie 16:9] f=44mm (SteadyShot On), f=37mm (SteadyShot Off)
- Focus Range(from the front of the lens): Approx. 24cm to infinity (Normal mode), approx. 14cm to 29cm (Macro mode)
- Focus Range (from the focal plane): Approx. 30cm to infinity (Normal mode), approx. 20cm to 35cm (Macro mode)
- Optical Variable Low-Pass Filter: Yes
- Clear Image Zoom
- Digital Zoom
- Still Image 42M approx. 4x / 18M approx. 6.2x / 11M approx. 8x
- Movie Approx. 4x
- Filter Diameter: 49mm
- Screen Type: 7.5cm (3.0 type) (4:3) / 1,228,800 dots / Xtra Fine / TFT LCD
- Brightness Control: Auto / Manual (5 steps) / Sunny Weather mode
- Adjustable Angle: Up approx. 109 degrees, down approx. 41 degrees, at max.
- Display Selector (Finder/LCD): Auto / EVF / Monitor
- MF Assist Magnification: 5.0x,12.5x
- Screen Type/Number of Dots: 0.39-type electronic viewfinder (OLED), 2,359,296 dots
- Brightness Control: Auto, Manual (5 steps)
- Field Coverage: 100%
- Magnification: Approx. 0.74x (with 50mm lens equiv. at infinity, -1m-1)
- Eye Point: Approx. 19mm from the eyepiece lens, 18.4mm from the eyepiece frame at -1m-1 (CIPA standard)
- Diopter Adjustment: -4.0 to +3.0m-1
- SteadyShot: Electronic type (for movies)
- Focus Type: Fast Hybrid AF (phase-detection AF / contrast-detection AF)
- Focus Mode: Single-shot AF (AF-S) / Continuous AF (AF-C) / Direct Manual Focus (DMF) /Manual Focus
- Focus Area: Wide (399 points for phase-detection AF / 25 points for contrast-detection AF) / Center / Flexible Spot (S/M/L) / Expand Flexible Spot / Lock-on AF (Wide/ Center / Flexible Spot (S/M/L) / Expand Flexible Spot)
- Metering Type: 1200-zone evaluative metering
- Light Metering Mode: Multi Pattern / Center Weighted / Spot
- Exposure Compensation: +/-5.0 EV (in 1/3 EV steps), with exposure compensation dial: +/-3.0 EV (in 1/3 EV steps)
- ISO Sensitivity (still image)*1: ISO 100-25600 (1/3 EV step) (expandable to ISO 50/64/80/32000/40000/ 51200/64000/80000/102400), AUTO (ISO 100-102400, selectable upper/ lower limit), Multi Frame NR: ISO 100-102400 (1 EV step), AUTO (ISO 100-102400, selectable upper / lower limit)
- ISO Sensitivity (movie): ISO 100-25600 equivalent (1/3 EV step), AUTO (ISO 100-25600 equivalent,selectable upper / lower limit)
- White Balance Mode: Auto / Daylight / Shade / Cloudy / Incandescent / Fluor.: Warm White / Fluor.:Cool White / Fluor.: Day White / Fluor.: Daylight / Flash / C.Temp. / Filter / Custom
- WB Micro Adjustment: Yes (G7 to M7 (57 steps), A7 to B7 (29 steps))
- Shutter Speed: Program Auto (30”-1/4000* sec.) / Aperture Priority (30”-1/4000* sec.) / Shutter Priority (30”-1/4000* sec.) / Manual Exposure (Bulb, 30”-1/4000* sec.) / iAuto (4”-1/4000* sec.) *At F5.6 or greater aperture value. Fastest limit at F2 is 1/2000 sec.
- Aperture: F2-22
- RAW Output: 14 bit
- Uncompressed RAW: Yes
- Image Control: Contrast, Saturation, Sharpness, Creative Style, Color Space (sRGB/Adobe RGB), Quality (RAW / RAW & JPEG / Extra fine / Fine / Standard)
- Noise Reduction: Long exposure NR: On / Off, available of shutter speeds longer than 1 sec., High ISO NR: Normal / Low / Off, Multi Frame NR: Auto / ISO 100-102400
- Dynamic Range Functions: Off, Dynamic Range Optimizer (Auto / Level 1-5), Auto High Dynamic Range: Off, Auto Exposure Difference, Exposure difference level (1.0-6.0 EV, 1.0 EV step)
- Shooting Mode: AUTO (Intelligent Auto / Superior Auto), Program Auto, Aperture Priority, Shutter Speed Priority, Manual Exposure, MR (Memory Recall) 1,2,3, Movie Mode (Program Auto, Aperture Priority, Shutter Speed Priority, Manual Exposure), Panorama, Scene Selection
- Scene Selection: Portrait, Sports Action, Landscape, Sunset, Night Scene, Handheld Twilight, Night Portrait, Anti Motion Blur
- Continuous Shooting Speed (maximum) (Maximum number of recoded pixels)*:2 Speed priority continuous shooting: approx. 5fps, Continuous shooting: approx. 2.5fps (AF-S)*3
- Self-Timer: 10 sec. / 5 sec. / 2 sec. / 3 or 5 consecutive shots with 10 sec. 5 sec. or 2 sec. delay selectable / Bracketing shots with 10 sec. 5 sec. or 2 sec. delay selectable
- Drive Modes: Single, Continuous shooting, Speed priority continuous shooting, Self-timer, Self-timer (cont.), Cont.-bracketing*4, Single-bracketing*4, White balance bracketing*4, DRO bracketing*4, LPF bracketing*4
- Picture Effect: [Still Image] Toy camera, Pop Color, Posterization, Retro Photo, Soft Highkey, Partial Color, High Contrast Mono., Soft Focus, HDR Painting, Richtone Monochrome, Miniature, Watercolor, Illustration [Movie] Toy camera, Pop Color, Posterization, Retro Photo, Soft High-key, Partial Color, High Contrast Mono.
- Creative Style: Standard, Vivid, Neutral, Clear, Deep, Light, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, Night Scene, Autumn Leaves, Black & White, Sepia, Style Box
- Number of Recognized Scenes: [Still Image] Superior Auto: 44, Intelligent Auto: 33 [Movie] 33
- Flash/ Flash Mode: Flash Off / Autoflash / Fill-flash / Slow Sync. / Rear Sync. / Wireless (with
optional compliant flash)
- Compatible Recording Media*5: Memory Stick Duo, Memory Stick PRO Duo, Memory Stick PRO Duo (High Speed), Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo, Memory Stick Micro*6, Memory Stick Micro (Mark2)*6, SD Memory Card, SDHC Memory Card, SDXC Memory Card, microSD Memory Card*6, microSDHC Memory Card*6, microSDXC Memory Card*6
- Recording Format: [Still Image]: JPEG (DCF Ver.2.0,Exif Ver.2.3, MPF Baseline compliant), RAW (Sony ARW 2.3 format), [Movie]: XAVC S, AVCHD format Ver.2.0 compatible, MP4
- Recording Format (Movie Audio) XAVC S: LPCM 2ch / AVCHD: Dolby Digital (AC-3) 2ch (Dolby Digital Stereo
Creator) / MP4: MPEG-4 AAC-LC 2ch
- Color Space (Still): sRGB / Adobe RGB
- Number of Recorded Pixels (Image Size)
- [3:2] L: 42M (7,952 x 5,304) / M: 18M (5,168 x 3,448) / S: 11M (3,984 x 2,656),
- [4:3] L: 38M (7,072 x 5,304) / M: 16M (4,592 x 3,448) / S: 9.4M (3,536 x 2,656),
- [16:9] L: 36M (7,952 x 4,472) / M: 15M (5,168 x 2,912) / S: 8.9M (3,984 x 2,240),
- [1:1] L: 28M (5,296 x 5,296) / M: 12M (3,440 x 3,440) / S: 7.1M (2,656 x 2,656),
- [Sweep Panorama] Standard (3,872 x 2,160 / 8,192 x 1,856) / Wide (5,536 x 2,160/ 12,416 x 1,856)
- Movie RecordingMode
AVCHD: 28M PS (1,920 x 1,080/60p) / 24M FX (1,920 x 1,080/60i) / 17M FH (1,920 x 1,080/60i) / 24M FX (1,920 x 1,080/24p) / 17M FH (1,920 x 1,080/24p), XAVC S HD: 60p 50M (1,920 x 1,080/60p) / 30p 50M (1,920 x 1,080/30p) / 24p 50M (1,920 x 1,080/24p) / 120p 50M (1,280 x 720/120p), MP4: 28M (1,920 x 1,080/60p) / 16M (1,920 x 1,080/30p) / 6M (1,280 x 720/30p)
AVCHD: 28M PS (1,920 x 1,080/50p) / 24M FX (1,920 x 1,080/50i) / 17M FH (1,920 x 1,080/50i) / 24M FX (1,920 x 1,080/25p) / 17M FH (1,920 x 1,080/25p), XAVC S HD: 50p 50M (1,920 x 1,080/50p) / 25p 50M (1,920 x 1,080/25p) / 100p 50M (1,280 x 720/100p), MP4: 28M (1,920 x 1,080/50p) / 16M (1,920 x 1,080/25p) /6M (1,280 x 720/25p)
- Exif Print, PRINT Image Matching (PIM3)
- Input and Output: Terminal Multi / Micro USB Terminal*7, Micro HDMI, Microphone (3.5mm Stereo minijack), Multi Interface Shoe
- NFC: NFC forum Type 3 Tag compatible, One-touch remote, One-touch sharing
- Wi-Fi: Yes (IEEE802.11b/g/n (2.4GHz band))
- Power Source: DC3.6V (supplied battery) / DC5.0V (supplied AC Adaptor)
- Battery System: Rechargeable battery pack NP-BX1
- Power Consumption (camera mode): Approx. 2.5W with LCD monitor and approx. 2.7W with viewfinder (CIPA standard)
- USB Charge / USB Power Supply: Yes (supplied AC adaptor)
- Battery Life: Still Images*8 Monitor: Approx. 220 shots / Approx. 110 min., Viewfinder: Approx. 200 shots / Approx. 100 min. Movies (actual shooting)*9*10 Monitor: Approx. 30 min., Viewfinder: Approx. 30 min. (In [MP4 28M] mode, max. continuous shooting time is approx. 20 min. and max. file size is 4GB.) Movies (continuous shooting)*9 Monitor: Approx. 50 min., Viewfinder: Approx. 50 min. (In [MP4 28M] mode, max. continuous shooting time is approx. 20 min. and max. file size is 4GB.)*11
- PlayMemories Camera Apps: Yes
- Shooting Functions: Smart Teleconverter (approx. 1.4x / 2x) / Eye AF / Lock-on AF / Face Detection / Face Registration / Smile shutter / Grid Line / Quick Navi / Digital Level Gauge (pitch and roll) / Exposure Bracketing / White Balance Bracketing / DRO Bracketing / Flash Bracketing / LPF bracketing / MF Assist / Peaking / Zebra / Marker Display / Photographer Name & Copyright / ISO Auto Minimum Shutter Speed / PC Remote Control / Auto Object Framing
- Playback Functions: BRAVIA Sync (Control for HDMI) / Single (with or without shooting information, RGB histogram & highlight/shadow warning) / 9/25-frame index view / Enlarged display mode / Auto Orientation / Slide Show / Panorama scrolling / Auto Review (10sec./5sec./2sec./off) / Forward / Rewind (Movie) / Delete / Protect / 4K still image playback
- Operating Temperature Approx.: 0°C to 40°C (32F° to 104F°)
In The Box
- Rechargeable Battery Pack NP-BX1
- AC Adaptor AC-UUD11 / 12
- Micro USB
- Shoulder Strap
- Lens Cap
- Shoe Cap
- Instruction Manual
- cleaning cloth
- Battery charger (BC-DCX)
- Eyepiece cup
- Height: 2.62"
- Width: 4.5"
- Depth: 2.87"
- Unit: 1.09 lbs
- Shipping: 2.5 lbs
- Manufacturer Warranty (authorized online retailer): One Year Parts and Labor